Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

engine wont start after it warms up

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

engine wont start after it warms up

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 11:37 PM
trclm26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine wont start after it warms up

my sh.28 engine will start fine when cold, run for a while, then once warm is hard to start. if it dies after about 5 min of run time it doesnt want to start back up. what could be causing this? thanks for any help.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:42 PM
nitrospeed33

Default RE: engine wont start after it warms up

wierd, that sounds backwards. usually an engine starts up more easily after its been warmed up. is fuel getting to the engine, you could need to prime it. or another thing is that it could be too lean. it will start up when its cold but maybe its heating up too much, then it will be hard to start. i would say to richen it about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn richer. an engine can have a hard time starting up when the temps are too high and not enough fuel is making its way into the carb cause the needle is too lean.richening it can open up the carb alittle more, and help more fuel to make its way into the engine. i hope this helps
Old 02-10-2007, 11:47 PM
trclm26

i think the fuel is heating up too much after it has run, i can hear it boiling out i think. i have all my needles set back at the factory settings, which i believe is 3 turns on high and 2 on the low. i have the low set even with the outside of the housing.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:59 PM
nitrospeed33

yep, that sounds right. if you start a retune from there, you should be good. it definatley sounded way lean. its always safer to run just a little on the rich side. so hopefully you wont have this problem anymore.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:17 AM
mozzzy_2000

sounds to mean you are running way way too lean which is causing vapour lock. I suggest winding the HSN back a bit and see how it goes.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:53 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: trclm26

my sh.28 engine will start fine when cold, run for a while, then once warm is hard to start. if it dies after about 5 min of run time it doesnt want to start back up. what could be causing this? thanks for any help.
you are overheating, your way too lean, you need to richen the needles. start at base settings, 3 out on high and flush with collar on low and start to retune from there.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:11 AM
chubbysuncle

Check for Air leaks. Seal the motor and richen it up.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:16 AM
nitrospeed33

we all just said the same thing. i said hes too lean, and he said he has allready reset the settings. then you guys just come in and say it all again, lol. i think its funny. but now knows not to run lean, lol.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:24 AM
mozzzy_2000

LOL yeah I giggled at that too! oh well at least there's a general consensus that it was lean!! lol
Old 02-11-2007, 10:34 AM
nitrospeed33

yeah, its better than some one saying its lean, and another saying it rich and another saying its something else. that would stink for trclm26. he would never figure out whats wrong.lol
Old 02-11-2007, 10:34 PM
trclm26

found the problem, it was a tiny crack on the top of the fuel tank. thats why it was overheating cause it wasnt getting enough fuel to the engine. i superglued the crack and alls well.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:15 AM
mozzzy_2000

ah cool! glad you got it sorted! The problem with leaks is that more air than fuel gets through causing it to artificially run lean.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:58 AM
nitrospeed33

[][][]i was wrong, im a failure, jk, lol, glad you got it workin. thats cool, and super glue, thats even cooler, no going to the hobby shop and getting new parts, just super glue! good luck.hope it doesn't happen agian.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:57 AM
trclm26

ah going to hobby shop for new parts. its not that easy here. the shop here used to be a kyosho dealer, which the parts are compatibale with, but they claim kyosho was hard to deal with so they discontinued the relationship. i cant find parts anywhere around here and all the parts i do order take for ever to get here. anyway i will order the new tank but i have run into alot of wrong parts ordering and end up spending small amounts of money in large quantities all the time. i have parts for all sorts of things that are not broke. dogbones, wheel hubs, wheel nuts and lockpins. i wish they would carry the stuff here so i could match it up, but till then, superglue.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:36 PM
zack221

Superglue fixes everything when i first got my volcano i broke the steering arm.I know this sounds stupid but i put superglue on it and i lit the superglue on fire with a lighter and while it was burning it melted the steering arm back together so i let it cool down and put it on and the steering arm held fine i even flipped twice and it didnt break.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:35 PM
dclintonh

i had the same crack in my hurricane tank.

must be a defect.

for somereason the hurricane engine never really sounds rich, i mean i have fuel spitting out the exhaust like crazy, its all over the drive way and my pants leg and it just screams. in my tornado i can richin it up till it will barly take off. i guess that .27 engine is just a screamer.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:07 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use ca all the time with the excellerator, it dries in less than a second!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 06:30 PM
nitrospeed33

we should just make a thread about glue. lol my hobby shop has alot of stuff from all different brands, i just wish that they sold redcat. i love the hobby shop though, all the cool cars and stuff, its soo cool. i wish i could live there, lol.