Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

cant get my tornado xp to start

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:12 PM
tyree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant get my tornado xp to start

i just got my tornado xp and im new to the nitro world i started it to break in and it ran for few minutes and then stoped was idleing good i think ive took the glow plug out and its still working i tryed a couple of drops of fuel in carb it just wont start please if someone could help realy not sure what to do
Old 02-28-2007, 04:33 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Default RE: cant get my tornado xp to start

Take out the glow pug again put a paper towel over the engine head so you don't blow fuel in your face and give the pull starter some good short fast pulls to blow excess fuel out of the engine. Also plug your glow plug into the end of your glow ignitor and make sure it glows red. Make sure fuel is flowing through the fuel line to the engine.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:34 PM
tyree

ok ill try that real quick
Old 02-28-2007, 04:39 PM
tyree

ok idid that my glow plug was glowing red but only for 4 seconds
Old 02-28-2007, 04:41 PM
glk420247

I can almost bet you broke your clutch spring. Try and pick it up off the ground and start it. If it starts that way and not on the ground you have a broken clutch spring. The stock springs are pretty weak. Everyone is putting the Traxxas 4146x spring in there buggies.
I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any ? you have. But just to let you know there is alot of information on this forum.. Try going to this thread[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5342050/tm.htm]Tornado Thread[/link] and this thread [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4207842/tm.htm]Faqs[/link]
Old 02-28-2007, 04:46 PM
tyree

ok ill try to start it off the ground thanx
Old 02-28-2007, 04:56 PM
glk420247

What I mean . Try and start your buggy off the ground so the tires are not touching anything. If the spring is broken the clutch will basically stay engage all the time. Thats why it is hard to start it. I went through 3 springs when I first got my buggy. I use the Traxxas 4146x no probs anymore with it breaking.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:37 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your plug only glowed for 4 seconds, you probably need to charge your ignitor or need a new plug.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:50 PM
tyree

how long to fully charge your glow igniter
Old 02-28-2007, 06:12 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

about 4 hours or so.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:32 AM
MiniCwik

I would agree it's the glow charger, I encountered similar issues when I first got my nitro truck ... not waiting long enough for it to charge and frustrated myself.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:50 AM
mozzzy_2000

there's a chance it could be the plug itself. Unbeknown to a lot of people, a glowing plug does not necessarily mean that the plug is good. The theory goes like this. For the glow plug to keep glowing after you have intially started it, it requires a catalytic chemical reaction between the platinum alloy element and the methanol in the fuel. What happens in a catalytic chemical reaction? The catalyst is used up. This is why a plug can happily glow brightly yet no matter how hard you try it wont start an engine because the necessary catalyst has been exhausted. So basically dont always think a glowing plug is ok. Try another.
Of course it goes without saying this is after you have eliminated other factors like the guys above have mentioned. It could be infact your charger. Not sure what charger you guys have but mine glow plug igniter takes about 8+hrs to charge.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:11 PM
tyree

i would like to all who has helped i went and started trying to adjust the carb thinkin that i knew what i was doing cause i work on my dirt bike all the time but i have realized it is not the same i still havent got it to stay running but i have set the carb back to the factory settings and now that i know you need to charge the igniter for like 8 to 10 hours i think that was my mistake well we live and we learn thanx again to every onewe will see if it starts tonight
Old 03-01-2007, 02:50 PM
MiniCwik

Yeah, I did the exact same things when I first got mine back in January ... turning needles this way and that way, LOL! Oh and I had to replace my stock glow plug pretty soon after as well. If you decide on replacing it, get a OS A3 plug or other hot burning as I had a medium burning one and now that I have the OS A3 in there ... I can definitely tell a huge difference
Old 03-02-2007, 04:45 AM
mozzzy_2000

LOL oh well we learn from our mistakes hey? Yeah hot plugs can be good but it largely depends on the type of fuel and the size of the engine. But for me I find that hot plug burn out too fast so medium hot plugs work better for me. Also the OS plugs are short reach so that has an affect as well. You'll probably find if you used say a medium temp long reach, like a Mccoy MC8 would work even better.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:36 AM
jacob711

on my buggy the glow plug igniter/warmer takes 16 hours to charge[:@] and it only lasts a couple of starts before it is weak, and also the standard carb settings that are in the manual are way off because if i try to use them it doesnt even start because it is so lean and when i try to adjust (1/8 turn at a time) it to them when it is running it just stops[:@][:@]
Old 03-02-2007, 08:25 AM
mozzzy_2000

yeah jacob I hate rechargable igniters. I recommend getting a igniter with alligator clips and a big fat 1.5V hobby battery. These seriously last for about 6 months!! I too was sick and tired of the igniter running out too quickly and it soons becomes a liability especially if you an running the engine in. It basically makes the task impossible to do.

Inregards to the factory settings, yes dont always take what the manual says as gospel. A good start point is LSN flush with throttle collar and the HSN should be about 3-3.5 turns from in.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:28 AM
tyree

well i got it running again and broke in the moter the correct way so far clutch spring fine but i have orderd traxxas one now i have 2 new problems when i start it it takes off and it die when i hit the brakes my second problem is i broke the rear axes holder redcat part #02013 is there one that i could get at my lhs witch is a hobby town usa whould there be a part that fits from another model so i dont have to order
Old 03-02-2007, 12:30 PM
MiniCwik

Check out your throttle trim, with it wanting to take off when you start it sounds like it's advanced. Make sure it's in the middle. Also, how is your carb opening, is it at 1mm?

I just had to order 02013 for my bro-in-law ... you can get them from either AllAboutFunHobbies.com or ClermontMotorsports.com. I'm not sure which other brand that your LHS may have that will work.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:45 AM
Nathan9492

Congrats on getting it started, may it bring u many gallons of fun