Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Got it running again but....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Nathan9492

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got it running again but....

ANy updates?
Old 03-24-2007, 06:46 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the linkage for the carb and brake.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Andyde4

IM still working on tuning it right.it still wants to take off when I turn it on.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:17 PM
ehroof

i think it is idleing to high or the clutch spring is broken
Old 03-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Andyde4

Yea im guessing something has to be broken because it doesnt really idle i can get it running and the wheels start moving and then when i hit the brake the car shuts off
Old 03-24-2007, 09:52 PM
ehroof

clutch spring, get the 4146x traxxas spring. i am finding the mip spring is not tight enough and the car want to move at idle unless you have it real low. the 4146x is much better spring.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:03 AM
groovetrippin

I had the spring pop off the first time I tried to start mine... The pully seems to be in bit of a bad spot. Had to make a run to buy a super small Hex... That thing is tiny!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:38 AM
MiniCwik

Yeah, that thing is screaming like there is no resistance on it at idle meaning that your clutch shoes are engaging immediately after you start it. Likely your spring is broken or loose/stretched.

Look here on how to check/replace it - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4207842/tm.htm

On your idle ... it could be too high or when you hit the brake it closes the carb opening (which cuts the engine off).

Do this and see if it holds true?

1. Turn your car and transmitter on (do not start it)
2. With your transmitter open the throttle up all the way (flooring it)
3. Check that the carb opens all the way up
4. Let off throttle completely (as if it were idling)
PEEK INTO CARB OPENING
5. Hit brakes all the way
6. Does the carb opening get smaller? (when you hit the brakes)

If so, you need to adjust your idle so that it stops doing that, I believe you would need to turn the idle screw (under the carb) counter-clockwise just until it stops closing when you hit the brakes. Make small adjustments and re-check using the steps above.

Post your results.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Andyde4

Could the clutch spring just be in backwards? I re build the motor thats the only reason Im asking
Old 03-26-2007, 08:44 PM
ehroof

no, it probably broke, take the clutch bell off and look at the spring.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Andyde4

I did that but im not really sure what I should be looking for
Old 03-26-2007, 09:22 PM
ehroof

in the clutch shoes there is a groov, inside this groove there is supposed to be a spring that wraps around the clutch shoes
Old 03-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Andyde4

I see the spring inside is trhere a way to tell if there is a problem
Old 03-27-2007, 06:49 AM
MiniCwik

If the spring is there wrapped tight around your clutch shoes then there is no problem. If it were broken, stretched, loose, gone, etc. then that would be part of the problem.

Your spring, is it silver in color or gray?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Andyde4

Its silver and it looks to be tight.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:53 PM
MiniCwik

Okay well then it's not broken like happens to so many initially.

Did you try this yet?

"On your idle ... it could be too high or when you hit the brake it closes the carb opening (which cuts the engine off).

Do this and see if it holds true?

1. Turn your car and transmitter on (do not start it)
2. With your transmitter open the throttle up all the way (flooring it)
3. Check that the carb opens all the way up
4. Let off throttle completely (as if it were idling)
PEEK INTO CARB OPENING
5. Hit brakes all the way
6. Does the carb opening get smaller? (when you hit the brakes)

If so, you need to adjust your idle so that it stops doing that, I believe you would need to turn the idle screw (under the carb) counter-clockwise just until it stops closing when you hit the brakes. Make small adjustments and re-check using the steps above."
Old 03-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Andyde4

Now Im back to where I was it barely stays running.I dont kno what to do with it anymore .I think i might just get a new one lol
Old 03-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Himoto Racing Canada

Hello

Have a good look at your fuel tubing and the "O" ring on the lid of your fuel tank.

If you see any fuel leak or it will not hold its fuel lines primed look for a tear in the tubing or on the "O" ring and repair and try again.

Also verify that your High End needle hasnt screwed itself in by itself ( they tend do do that , replace the "O" ring on the needle ) do not squich the brass tube to prevent the needle from screwing in .

Verify that your carburator is properly sealed at the base , Automotive RTV gasket is great for this.

After you checked your clutch ; have you properly adjusted the clutch pinion to spur gear backlash ?? Your vehicle should move freely forwards and backwards without any grinding noises. Test with Transmitter and receiver on and at neutral throttle.

Try it an post again.

ORIGINAL: Andyde4

Now Im back to where I was it barely stays running.I dont kno what to do with it anymore .I think i might just get a new one lol
Old 03-27-2007, 11:57 PM
RoadBurner

From the looks of your last video the problem is your tires are not glued! No I'm kidding...Try this put your car on your stand with the radio and reciever on start the car then turn off your reciever on the car, and manually move the throttle linkage towards the brake if car idles down to a managable rpm than you need to adjust your transmitter offset or linkage, now if it just dies than your idle is set wrong and low speed needle may be off as well. Start it again on the stand and turn off the reciever again this time richen the low speed needle, this should bring the rpms down, now check that it will run with brakes on. If it runs with manually applied brakes with high rpms the low speed needle is way to lean or the idle is to high, you will need to turn the low speed needle richer or lower the idle with the idle screw until it idles down to a managable rpm. After you achieve a managable rpm your can fine tune the engine! Now you should let it idle for a little bit before you throttle up on it, let get warmed up or you'll just flood it! Just a note if your low speed needle and idle is wrong you wont get the fuel pull it needs to stay running! It can be tricky to know when to adjust the idle screw or the low speed needle, that is why it is suggested to set your idle at a opening measurement rather than rpm. The rpms can be changed by richening and leaning the low speed needle as well as the idle screw. Turning the low speed needle may adjust the rpm but will change the tuning of the low speed circuit! I do remember when I first got my rc engine having some problems idling. Hope this help and if anybody has any thing to add jump on in!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:03 AM
MiniCwik

Good info posts there RoadBurner and HimotoCA ... let us know bro how things go from the steps outlined in the above posts.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:53 AM
dtsn280z

I'm having the same problems as Andy with one of mine. Mine has been like this out of the box. It had a bad tank (completely clogged-replaced at my expense), broken spring (replaced), bad glow plug (replaced), bad throttle servo (replaced) and it still runs at a very high idle. I set the intake to 1mm or so and I did get it to idle once for almost a tank. Now it's back to the high idle. This thing hasn't even made it around the yard once yet. Now the steering servo is bad. I also notice that the rotary on the carb is really hard to turn. Maybe the carb is bunk as well.

On the other hand, my other car is great. I have about a half of a tank through it and the gears look like new and the clutch spring is still holding. It cranks in just a few pulls and still has the original bell. I have the upgrade parts. I just believe in the old "If it aint broke dont fix it" saying. I couldn't be happier with this one. FAST!! What a difference with the two.

I either got lucky with the good one or I was unlucky and got a bad one. I just wish they were consistent with quality. Must have been a bad lot of parts put together on a bad day. LOL.

Not sure what to do with the bad one. Maybe I'll just put it on blocks in the yard. LOL

I'll try the above advice and see what happens.

Let you know.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:49 PM
RoadBurner

dtsn280z what model do you have? Sounds like you got lemon or something! Did you buy it new and from who?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:09 AM
dtsn280z

Yeah, I think I got a lemon too. It's a Tornado BB. I bought it new, directly from Redcat. I bought two and the other is perfect. 3/4 of a gallon and the gears are good and I'm on the original spring as well. I emailed Redcat and haven't heard anything yet. I dont expect much since they made me buy the fuel tank to replace the bad one.

I love the one thats running. Its a blast. I'm gonna tinker with this other one and see if I can figure it out. Otherwise, it will make a great parts car.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:32 PM
mannyk91

hey, im not a newbie to this hobby but iwas wondering is the tornado lx worth it ? i mean is it a good buggie that i can do speed runs and take to off -road tracks what are they major probs with it tell me i'm thinling of buying one but dont know if it's good will it last me along time ? need help please email me please [email protected] traxxas nirto sport, mugen seiki mbx5t
Old 04-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Andyde4

Ive done everything and I still got nothing