Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

first startup report Shockwave

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:51 PM
FlyinGN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first startup report Shockwave

ok.... First time starting up and here is the report.. Trinity Monster hp 20% fuel. Stock carb settings. Started on the 5th pull. Putting the finger over the exhaust primed the carb almost instantly. First tank the idle break in was uneventful.. Stalled a few times. Idle was smooth. The clutch bell started to discolor from heat. Second tank same thing with a little blipping. Third tank took it around the lawn low speed. ran great... The only issue is that the engine never got over 120 degrees. It never got real hot to the touch so I know my temps are right.. Weird.. Another issue ws that the carb linkage would not got back to idle instantly. It was kinda sticking and slowly went back to idle. By the 4th tank it was breaking in and got better. Engine stil never for anywhere near 200 degres. 4th tank took it out on the street and did a couple wot blips. WOW it is fast, VERY impressed. So far the factory carb setting are spot on.. very nice.. Had to mess with the idle a bit and throttle trim a bit but that is expected. The stock clutchbell is still okay too.. So far.. for $100 this is the very best bang for the buck out there. bar none..

VERY HAPPY REDCAT CUSTOMER!!!

Frank
Old 05-20-2007, 01:55 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: first startup report Shockwave

great Frank, post some pictures, nice to hear a good story!!!!! Have fun bro!!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 02:04 PM
FlyinGN

yea with all this I forgot to take out the cam and shoot some pics and vids. My Son (13 years old) loves it and he drove it like a champ...
Old 05-24-2007, 11:04 PM
ENR_Kyle

wow.. my redcat truggy will be here next wednesday.. you got me so excited..

few question..

Did you let the entire first tank idel only.. never piving it ANY gas?.. Is that how we should be doing it?.. I thougt I read somewhere "do not run at a constant/consistent speed as this may cause a hot spot during break-in procedure"

hmm.. So now im confused.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:55 AM
FlyinGN

don't worry too much about break in.. A lot of people don't even do a break in procedure.. I let it idle with a throttle blip and a 5 second above idle throttle hold now and again for the first tank. Same for tank 2 with a little more rpm. Tank 3 slow sped around the lawn. Tank 4 a little faster.. with a few short wot blasts.. Have fun! BTW- its very quiet.. Its a dream to run.. I was gonan change the muffler but I like how quiet it is and how cool plastic stays. I did buy a header though..

Frank

ORIGINAL: ENR_Kyle

few question..

Did you let the entire first tank idel only.. never piving it ANY gas?.. Is that how we should be doing it?.. I thougt I read somewhere "do not run at a constant/consistent speed as this may cause a hot spot during break-in procedure"

Old 05-25-2007, 01:34 PM
ENR_Kyle

ok.. sounds good..I will do exactly that.. Thanks
Old 05-25-2007, 01:37 PM
ENR_Kyle

(forgot to click notify me via e-mail check mark, so I did this time)
Old 05-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

thats wrong information. Break in is important. But thats your choice lol.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:10 PM
allenthen831

i would have to disagreee with u break in is the most important thing u have to do to a new engine
Old 05-25-2007, 05:21 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: FlyinGN

don't worry too much about break in.. A lot of people don't even do a break in procedure.. I let it idle with a throttle blip and a 5 second above idle throttle hold now and again for the first tank. Same for tank 2 with a little more rpm. Tank 3 slow sped around the lawn. Tank 4 a little faster.. with a few short wot blasts.. Have fun! BTW- its very quiet.. Its a dream to run.. I was gonan change the muffler but I like how quiet it is and how cool plastic stays. I did buy a header though..

Frank

few question..

Break in probablly the most important thing your going to do with your nitro engine. How you break it in will determine how the engine runs and how long it's going to last. The best methode I have found is the heat cycle method it tempers the metal of the piston and sleeve. Basically you will start it up and let it idle for about 4 minutes shut it off and let it cool with the piston at BDC and keep doing that through the first tank after that you can go at various speeds between half and idle speed next tank you can do between full and idle. This method have proved well for us so far, I have an engine that's going on 4 years old and about 15 gallons of fuel all though it's starting to get tired, lol. There's a hundered different ways to break in an engine but you have to pick one at least and break take your time breaking it in.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:40 PM
FlyinGN

easy there fellas. I never said it was NOT IMPORTANT. Please do NOT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH.

Go back and reread...

I said that a lot of people never do proper break in (which is true)and the engines run forever.. Other do proper break in and th emotors do not last.. Thats ALL i said..
Old 05-25-2007, 09:46 PM
ENR_Kyle

first..I am very sorry to completly thread jack you FlyinGN

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

I got what you meant.. you didnt say its not important, you just said that not everyone does it..I get it..

And I would have to agree that heat cycling is the best method.. I remember now..

Thanks for all the advise all
Old 05-26-2007, 06:19 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

This is what you said and thats why people are questioning it lol. don't worry too much about break in..
Old 05-26-2007, 06:24 AM
FlyinGN

ok..
don't worry too much about brushing your teeth. (don't lose sleep over it) just do it right every day and worry about the big things in life.. Now you get it??

some people obsess over 'proper break in' and I did not want him to do that... Thats all I meant.

Frank

ORIGINAL: Clermont Hobby

This is what you said and thats why people are questioning it lol. don't worry too much about break in..
Old 05-26-2007, 09:08 AM
ENR_Kyle

thats a really good analogy..

anyway, I understand what he means.. Lets not fight.. lets be friends.. lol.. [8D]

one quesrtion..

I am going to use heat cycling for breakin.. I found a good walkthrew of it here actually.. here a link

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=397

question: when im letting it cool off should I take the glow plug out.. or does it not really matter?... also how long should I let it cool, an hour?.. Thanks
Old 05-26-2007, 09:10 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can take the plug out to see if the piston is at the bottom, let it sit unitl cool to the touch, like 15-30 minutes
Old 05-27-2007, 12:41 PM
ENR_Kyle

I know this is unrealated, but I got to tell you..I went to buy fuel, and bough another RC car.. I dont want to post pics twice, so here is the thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_59...tm.htm#5908077
Old 05-27-2007, 06:27 PM
FlyinGN

absolutely!! No cross feeling my friend!! Im just talking..

thats a really good analogy..

anyway, I understand what he means.. Lets not fight.. lets be friends.. lol.. [8D]

one quesrtion..

I am going to use heat cycling for breakin.. I found a good walkthrew of it here actually.. here a link

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=397

question: when im letting it cool off should I take the glow plug out.. or does it not really matter?... also how long should I let it cool, an hour?.. Thanks