Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Stripped Gear Perhaps?

Old 05-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Damide

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Stripped Gear Perhaps?

Pretty new to Nitro cars, I have a Volcano and was on about my 12th tank, working really well, finally took it out in the dirt fields behing my house, roughed it up alittle, nothing major though (no jumps, just a few tips) and it got stuck pointing straight up trying to "climb" out of a bulldozer rut, I went and put it back on path and I notice it was running alittle higher sounding than normal, and the break doesn't respond. I raced it by me in which I grabbed it threw a cloth over the muffler and killed it. I went back to the house, tried a few restarts and couldn't get it to sit idle, it would just run off like it did out of the box. I pulled off the air filter (with the truck turned off) and watched the carburator open on full throttle but it wouldn't close on break. Is this a stripped gear? no matter what I do (turning idle screw, or on the controller changing the idle setting it doesn't move the arm to control the carburator.

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Chubbysdad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Stripped Gear Perhaps?

stupid question but did you replace the batteries? If the arm is not moving it is either bound, or the batteries are not strong enough. Also if it tried to take off, your clutch spring might have bit the dust.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:09 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Migth be a bad servo, I had a servo on a tremor steering that would move one way but wouldn't move the other way unless you pushed it with your finger. Turned out it had a couple of bad teeth on one of the servo gears inside the servo. I would trouble shoot the servo and see if there is something catching somewhere in the linkage or the brakes.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Damide

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Batteries are actually under 1 day old, but I just tried some fresh charged ones and same problem. How would I tell if its a bad clutch spring?

I think I might try to pop off the servos and check that out.....unfortantly I'm going to be traveling the next two days for work, so I won't have a definite answer to quick, was just looking to possibly order some parts up front if this sounded like a common issue.

Thanks for your suggestions guys!
Old 05-20-2007, 07:45 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

could be the radio too, i had one that did the same thing, if its less than 30 days old, its still under warranty. the steering would work but the throttle wouldnt, or it would work for throttle, not brake. Disconnect the linkage and see if it works, also switch the servo's around on the reciever and see if it works, if not you more than likely have a bad servo.

the clutch spring has nothing to do with the carburator settings.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Chubbysdad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know it has nothing to do with it but he posted this

I went back to the house, tried a few restarts and couldn't get it to sit idle, it would just run off like it did out of the box.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:53 AM
martno1fan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

is the servo still moving the arm and the carb isnt closing or the servo wont move the arm? if its the latter your servo could be the problem if its the first have a look at the throttle arm on the carb as my lads ts4n car had same trouble and it turned out the arm on the carb was split as it was plastic and it would slip so a mate made me an ali one.it took a while for us to spot the split too.might not be your problem just throwing it out there so you can check.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Damide

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Clermont Hobby

I went back to the house, tried a few restarts and couldn't get it to sit idle, it would just run off like it did out of the box.

Not sure what you mean here? I was stating that out of the box I couldn't get it to sit idle....just like now, of course its much worse now, that I can't break to control the car from rolling forward. Before I just adjusting the inching screw and tweaked the controller a hair to prevent this. Now by hitting the break or tweaking the Transmitter I see no adjustment on the bar that would close the carburator to "idle" the truck.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Damide

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will play around with the servo tomorrow night when I get back from traveling and let you guys know what I found out. It doesn't move the arm at all when I break, so it sounds like that might be the issue, based on what a few of you have offered. As always Thanks! and I'll keep you all posted.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:28 AM
FlyinGN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think whats happening was was happened to mine too. Even though the servo is at idle the carb linkage will not come back to idle. Mine did this. Adjust the collar on the end of the rod(very small allen wrench) with the spring on it to put more tension on the sprng. Its this tension that brings the linkage back to idle. Mine did not have enough spring tension and so the linkage would not come all the way back to idle. Hope that helps

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Damide

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Clermont Hobby

Not sure what you mean here? I was stating that out of the box I couldn't get it to sit idle....just like now, of course its much worse now, that I can't break to control the car from rolling forward. Before I just adjusting the inching screw and tweaked the controller a hair to prevent this. Now by hitting the break or tweaking the Transmitter I see no adjustment on the bar that would close the carburator to "idle" the truck.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Damide

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Excellent Idea FlyinGN, would save alot of time troubleshooting as well if that is the case...

I'll be sure to try that tonite, when I fly back in town.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Damide

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

FlyinGN, you were 100% correct, that has been resolved, thanks again everyone for your suggestions!
Old 05-23-2007, 03:56 PM
FlyinGN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im glad it worked out!! its great when an issue is a cheap, easy fix huh?

Search this Thread