Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Engine / Glow Plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 04:04 PM
xoutas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine / Glow Plug

I seem to be having a problem w/ my engine on my Volcano, It's running really hot and I can't figure out why and when it gets too hot I can't start it, so then I decided to check the glow plug it was burnt, so I changed the glow plug and in 10 minutes the same thing happened it burnt the new one, I'm using medium glow plugs. Anyone else ever have this problem, it's the VX-18 Engine. It's only 6 weeks old. I also have the Tornado w/ the same engine on it and it runs great. One day it was running great and the next I have this problem. Any help and tips are greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:19 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine / Glow Plug

i think your running it too lean, richen the mixture by turning the high needle a 1/2 turn counter clockwise and the low needle the same. see if this helps you out.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:49 PM
xoutas

Thanks for the speedy reply ehroof. I think it is pretty lean now, at first I was running it at 2-1/2 turns out on the HSN, last I had leaned it out to about 3-1/2 turns and it still happening, should I lean it out even more or do you think it might be a more serios problem w/ the motor. I keep burning glow plugs, supply running low lol. Could it be the fuel, I'm using Byrons 30%, I probably should be using 20% but when I first bought the truck, I picked up some fuel from Brooklyn Hobbies and since I had no clue what I was getting he just gave me 30%, I found out later that 20% is recommended, so I hate to throw away a half a gallon which I have left, but I will if it's really bad for the motor. I don't know, what do you think.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:57 PM
ehroof

brookly hobbies huh, i used to have my office around the corner on ryder street, i got a few of my rc's from them. Your richening the mix, not leaning it, lean is less fuel, rich is more fuel. start with the base setting of 3 out on the high needle and flush with the collar on the low needle and see how that is, do adjustments in small increments, 1/8 turns at a time. You may be fouling the plugs out to. i would suggest running 20% with an os a3 plug, 30% may be why its running hot, do you have a temp gauge? if not do you know how to do the spit test? little spit on the finger, wipe the head, if it sizzles and is gone in 3 seconds or less, your hot. if you richen the mix on the high end more you should cool the engine off, if not you may have and air leak and it leaning the mix out without you doing anything.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:30 PM
xoutas

Thanks for the info, leaning / richening always confuses me lol, I think I know what they mean I just get them backwards. I think I will go and pick up some 20% this week and I will see if that will help it. What is better tho a medium glow plug or a hot one for these engines, or does it really matter, what is the difference. I will probably go by Brooklyn Hobbies on Tuesday since it's on my way home from work, I will ask them if they have those glow plugs and I will pick some up, I can always order from tower but if I would have known sooner what to get I would have since I ordered a new truck from them on Friday so it shipped already, so if I put another order in it's just more shipping, if they don't have them I'll wait until I need a bunch of things order everything at once.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:16 PM
ehroof

they have them bro, get the os a3 these .18 like the hot plugs, the lower the number the hotter the plug.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:19 PM
xoutas

Thanks bro, will do
Old 05-28-2007, 02:55 AM
mozzzy_2000

If you continue running 30% you want to be using a Cold plug hey. Try using the OS A5 or R5, both which are cold and more suited for higher % nitro. If you however decide to go 20% nitro, the A3 or #8 should be good.