Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Shifting Problem (Video) Jumping From 1st To 2nd And Back??

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Shifting Problem (Video) Jumping From 1st To 2nd And Back??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:00 PM
ENR_Kyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Problem (Video) Jumping From 1st To 2nd And Back??

ok.. Here is the video:

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...003_rename.flv

and here is the problem.. as you can hear is kinda hesitates, sounds like its hitting second the back.. but when I give it alot of gas you can hear it shift at a higher rmp?.. when its on the ground it does the same thing but you can not hear it shift.. Any ideas?..

BTW. got the OS A3 plug and it runs like CHAMP.. It will run and idel all day at under 200..

How does the smoke look, prety good, running rich enough?..
Old 06-07-2007, 07:49 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shifting Problem (Video) Jumping From 1st To 2nd And Back??

thats not the trans thats hessitating, you should try leaning it out a little more, may be loading up. it is shifting, you can see and hear it when it does. running under 200 is a little on the cool side.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:09 PM
bluecaka69

my thought exactly
Old 06-07-2007, 08:25 PM
rclynx

thats not the trans thats hessitating, you should try leaning it out a little more, may be loading up. it is shifting, you can see and hear it when it does. running under 200 is a little on the cool side.
perfect answer.

I actually have been playing with the 2 speed a lot lately and trying to make it shift more positive. Polishing the inside where the arm rides is a lot of trouble but it does help. Also if you take it apart make sure the spring ends are flat. If you take a small object and put it under the arm and move it. If you feel a rough spot moving that arm the shifting will be erratic. Smoothing the spring end that pushes on the arm will stop that.[:-]
Old 06-07-2007, 08:37 PM
ENR_Kyle

I ok.. I got it up to 220F... It runs good but it seems like its stuck in second... but it has prety good low end.. for a while..when I accell slowly I can hear it shift really early. I think whatz happening is its shifting at low RPM, but the jolt looses enuf rev to put it back in 1st.. I believe I need to up the shift pt a bit more. (screw setscrew clockwise??)

other than that I am really really happy with this vehicle. this is the most time I have ever spent actually driving an RC vehicle over tuning it... LOVE IT..
Old 06-07-2007, 08:40 PM
rclynx

clock wise to raise the shift and don't over do it.....................very small increments[:-]
Old 06-07-2007, 08:46 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one thing i found is that there is supposed to be a small metal rod on the gear that catches the arm on the 2 speed shifter. i found that this is usually not there and the shifter arm beats the plastic after a few times and either the trans gets stuck in first or second gear, what i did is cut a piece of a body clip (the straight end of it) and stick it in the hole that is in the gear in front of the hump and put some CA on it and accelerator and it works fine or at least like it should.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:24 PM
ENR_Kyle

ok.. I have fixed it.. just needed to turn the set screw to adjust the shifing about a half of a turn, it hold for a frew tanks then after a while it starts to back out again.. im going to have to use a little locktite.. eekk..
Old 06-09-2007, 09:33 AM
rclynx

If you get it all working right, rather than putting lock tight on the set screw put another grub screw behind it with lock tight and run it in till it just hits the adjustment screw[:-]
Old 06-09-2007, 07:26 PM
ENR_Kyle

thats a much better idea. you dont even need locktite on the second one, just shove it into the first one kinda hard and it will not move.. awsome..

but.. I just got back from a big clay banked oval and I am having more problems with it shifting again.. It feels like its stuck it second.. I didnt look closly if it was or not, but it seems to have no pickup but lots of top speed (what I needed at that track, its actually built for spring cars).. so.. when I get time I will look at it again, but does anyone know what the factory setting is for that setscrew?.. Thanks
Old 06-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

The spring on the little lever that comes out sometimes wears.. Sometimes rather quick lol.. but there is no factory setting. It seems to vary.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:38 PM
ENR_Kyle

hmm. well im going to have to take it appart.. I am due for a good complete rip down and inspect. I got about 30 tanks threw it.. I have only had it about a week.. hehe..
Old 06-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

thats not bad... doing good then. Best of luck
If you dont break something then your not beating on it enough I had a ton of people at the track today, and I had the worst luck, I blew out the rubber sleeve that connects the head pipe to exhaust... Just got back from the store. Love robbing the shelves lol
Old 06-11-2007, 02:01 AM
rclynx

Sorry forgot to mention you have to shave the first grub screw down to get another in there. Its well worth it (never changes till the spring wears) damn I hate getting old at least I don't forget things when I'm looking at it
Old 06-11-2007, 08:14 AM
ENR_Kyle

lol.. dont worry about it, I would have figured it out.. I will get arround to is soon. Thanks for the advise.