Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

I Want to Pop Wheelies!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 03:15 PM
pilotpack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Want to Pop Wheelies!!!

Hello,

I just recently purchased a Volcano SV and I couldn't be happier with it!!! I know that you all recommend replacing the stock clutch bell with the HPI 17T one but I want one that will be able to give really good acceleration and be able to pop wheelies like my friends t-maxx. I don't want to loose too much top end but popping wheelies and good torque is more important to me anyways. So which one of these do you think will be able to pop wheelies the best without loosing too much top end or will they even work???

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLST5&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLST6&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLST7&P=M

If you could give me any other tips to help me with my acceleration without loosing too much top end that would be awesome!!! (like good a header and exhaust setup or air filter)

I have one more question, what is the needle settings that most of you here use on your sv's to allow max performance without running the engine too hot? Because currently with my high speed needle 2 1/2 revolutions out and my low speed needle a little deeper then flush I get excessive fuel shot all over my back right tire![:@] Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Great Forum you got going here!

Thanks for any advice!
Old 06-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: I Want to Pop Wheelies!!!

Buy the wheelie king for wheelis not the sv lol.
Also, as far as the settings, they will vary. What temp are you running?
Old 06-15-2007, 06:11 PM
bluecaka69

Wheelies are cool for the first day or so but then you want to pound the ground and cant it really sucks after awhile
Old 06-15-2007, 06:53 PM
123michael

put traction control on lol lol ha ha
Old 06-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

traction control? Thats the opposite. Traction control will keep the tires to the ground lol.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:28 PM
arlo1

depends on how it is set up!
Old 06-15-2007, 11:33 PM
arlo1

Crank the front springs stiff and soften the rear springs all the way, then gear it down, then find the clutch set up that lets it rev the highest before engaugement. and run the highest nitro concentration you can find! That might work. I had my bb just barely pull the front wheels off the ground for about 10 feet coming out of a corner on pavement twice after I ported the engine but it was just a power wheely and partialy because the shoks were all as soft as the would go and the fluid was to thin inside them.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:49 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want the front end to come up, you NEED to stiffen the rear springs, as much as possible. try a 12 tooth clutch bell but with the stock engine,i doubt you will get the front end off the ground.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:52 PM
nantucket

ORIGINAL: ehroof

if you want the front end to come up, you NEED to stiffen the rear springs, as much as possible.
I was gonna say the same thing, but I figured I'd leave it up to someone that people actually listen to.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:57 PM
arlo1

Now I might be missing something but, if you stiffen the rear springs then the rear will want to stay up because there is more presure in the shock so then it would reduce the weight transfer to the rear which should make it harder to "pop wheelies" corect? Ehroof I think you ment soften instead of stiffen did you not?
Old 06-16-2007, 10:06 PM
ehroof

nope, stiffen the springs, if the springs give, the rear end will fall and absorb and take torque from the engine. you need the rear shocks as stiff as possible unless you are using a jato 3.3, its pretty comon knowledge.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:23 PM
arlo1

weird I will have to play with that!
Old 06-16-2007, 10:25 PM
ehroof

i doubt you will get the front wheels off the ground with a buggy or truggy, but monster trucks and 2wd stadium trucks will lift the front end up with no problem if they have a powerful enough engine.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:27 PM
arlo1

I think you are right but I will put a brick on the wing to help or somthing. I also have north americas steepest paved road right here in town from what I have been told.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:28 PM
ehroof

i think the brick will do the trick, maybe tie the wing to a brick and hit the throttle, that should pull the front wheels off the ground, lol
Old 06-16-2007, 10:31 PM
arlo1

It wont take that much. like I said I had mine just off the ground 2wice out of a corner on pavement I will make another youtube video when I do But it will be a little while my tranny is striped at the moment
Old 06-17-2007, 08:58 AM
ehroof

if you can make that front end come up from a dead stop, you will be one of the very few that was able to wheelie a 1/10 nitro buggy. good luck and catch it on video, i would like to see it.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:16 AM
pilotpack

WOW, thanks for all the replies, I will try some of your advice you gave me but I am also looking for a cheap nice HPI header that will fit and a cheap ribbed pipe off of ebay that will provide good torque? Are there any certain ones you recommend for the Volcano SV?

Also I know you guys mentioned that you would have to know my temp that I am running before you can give me any advice on adjusting the needles but if you could just tell me what setting you are currently running I would be very happy!

Thanks for all the help so far!
Old 06-17-2007, 10:36 AM
ehroof

2 1/2 out on the high and flush with the collar on the low, you may need to lean the needles a little from here (withing a 1/2 turn or so).

check out the ribbed pipe on ebay, suprasales, i get a lot of stuff from him:

pipe and header: http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-HPI-RS4-RTR-...QQcmdZViewItem

ribbed pipe: http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-1-10-Turbo-R...QQcmdZViewItem

just make sure that header is the one you need, that it will mount in the correct direction, i dont remember off hand but i am sure it does.

Your welcome bro
Old 06-17-2007, 11:54 AM
arlo1

ORIGINAL: ehroof

if you can make that front end come up from a dead stop, you will be one of the very few that was able to wheelie a 1/10 nitro buggy. good luck and catch it on video, i would like to see it.
like I said the two times I got it two were out of a corner not from a stop and I had the rear springs as soft as they go.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:03 PM
mrbig6901

My 3.3 maxx weelies!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2007, 12:10 PM
arlo1

Sweet. not that having a 1/10th buggy wheelie is my goal. it is just for sh@ts and gigles. It would be faster without.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:45 PM
pilotpack

ehroof,

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-HPI-RS4-RTR-...QQcmdZViewItem

The header and pipe combo that you listed will not work with the Volcano SV because take a look at it and you will find out that if you tried to install it that it wouldn't fit and the header would end up facing the carb. I am really considering buying that purple ribbed pipe if it does what is says. Does it really dish out tons of torque or is it just a sales gimmick?

Also if I buy this pipe do you suggest I get the HPI header or will I not notice an improvement but if there is an improvement is it Low end or just top end? I would be greatly pleased with any more advice!!!

Thanks!!!
Old 06-17-2007, 03:28 PM
ehroof

sorry bro, i didnt remember what side the engine dumps on the redcats, he has other pipe and header combos, check them out. the ribbed pipe will give you a noticiable difference in low end power.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:33 PM
pilotpack

ehroof,

I looked through his other combos but it doesn't look like he has any headers that will work on the volcano but I think I am going to stick with the ribbed pipe.

So, do you still recommend getting the HPI header?

Thanks!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.