Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

sts 30 upgrade...

Old 06-18-2007, 08:16 PM
G*Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sts 30 upgrade...

First thing I want to ask is, how many gallons will a well broke nitro go for, 2 gallons? 4 gallons? what kind of life expectency is to expected?

Ive decided to stock up on "consumables" we'll call it for my Hurricane Muggy, I want to avoid the "crap all i need it a couple of bearings to keep going" that I dont have extra at this moment situation Im in now (fried the CB bearings)

The LHS that has decent stock is about a $35 drive in fuel only to pay ridiculous prices for little stuff, so I shop ebay and get way better selection and price, but the wait sucks.

Im lucky if I can scrounge an extra screw if I lose one some how, so like I said Im stocking up.

Ive got extra servos, eclips, screws, exhaust seals, bearings, CBs, spur gears, glow plugs etc etc all on their way to me, and i kinda thought about a piston and sleeve for SH would be handy to have.

Well that turned into pricing out a STS 30, which looks real purty, who here has one again? Dennis I think has one, anyone else.... Id appreciate your comments on it.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:19 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: sts 30 upgrade...

i have the .28 and its a great engine, great bang for the buck
Old 06-18-2007, 08:27 PM
G*Man

sts 28? I figured if Im gonna buy an engine may as well go bigger for the minimal price diff.

What do you figure is thte life expectancy of a properly broke/tuned/cared for nitro engine? 2 gallons? 3? 4?

I Kinda want to know how much life is left in the SH28 i have now, may pull it and keep it as the spare and use the STS up!

My buddy just picked up some big dollar RB engine for his Savage, so the STS should help me keep him behind me still.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:35 PM
ehroof

it really depends on the use of the engine, i have heard of engines lasting 10 gallons, its just the luck of the draw. Do the .30, i was just saying i have the .28 and i am very happy with it, the .30 would just be more !!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:19 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

It takes 1 and a half gallons to break in an STS engine, I just got done breaking one in for a customer. I have over 8 gallons of fuel through my engine and the pinch is still tight. STS is by far one of the best engine on the market here check it out for your self what Rick break from R&B Mods had to say about STS when he did a review and then help them design there new engine the MKII

Review from Rick Brake of RBmods.net!

Review from Rick Brake of RBmods.net :

History and the making of a new STS MK11 engine. When testing the D21B and D21T engines my preliminary diagnosis led me to study these engines in depth and have my drivers testing them.

Everything I thought the engine would do was correct, These were great engines for the price but I thought STS could do a little better with the same amount of
effort. So after a few emails and sending them pictures on what to do
if I were them they came out with a engine after my own spec's. They actually
produced a great engine that would give these 400.00 and 500.00 dollar
engines a run for their money. This was dubbed STS MK11. My drivers have
been testing it and found that it was able to keep up and even surpass
these high dollar Italian engine with the grace of a expensive .21 5 to 8 port
engines and get about 9 minutes of run time doing it.

As I watched the testing this engine had taken a buggy and was pulling wheelies up to 75ft down the straights with a crisp sound that I and you and everyone else
likes to hear at 202 degree temps. I had thought that it was time STS release
these to the market to compete against the ever soaring over priced
Italian engines.

Finally! You to can have this engine and feel the bliss of knowing you got way
more then you paid for and probably for the first time. These engines are
worth every penny. Modified they are off the hook, Smooth, powerful, reliable.
Rick Brake RBMods

Old 06-19-2007, 01:35 AM
Kemo

the d30m also gets better fuel mileage
Old 06-19-2007, 06:59 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

I dont think he is asking how many gallons to break in an engine, he is asking how many gallons will a motor last after break in.
Gman, with the sand we have down here, the sh didn't last a gallon lol... the sts is doing good. I must say though, they are a good motor, but I with my experience, they need to be tuned quite often and the low speed needles are very loose. Its been an issue if you look them up.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:13 PM
ehroof

i find it a great engine, just a little hard to tune, the low end needle is very sensative but once you get it right its a screamer. Are you carrying those sts engine now dennis?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:21 PM
G*Man

a gallon and half to break in?!? wow, what method did you use? Is the pinch that tight?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:23 PM
ehroof

the pinch is real tight, you have to loosen the plug to start it the first few times.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

yeah I only have the .28's in stock right now.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Kemo

if you are looking for a .30, i have em for ya.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:18 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Oh sorry, I have over 8 gallons through my Monster 30 and the pinch is still super tight. Is that better, lol. How long an engine lasts realy depends on how you tune it or take care of it, that's not really an answerable question, there's alot of variables.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:18 PM
G*Man

what about the 1.5 gallons to break in? what method was used and what prompted you to go thru that much fuel for break in?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:25 PM
ehroof

its how they reccomend you to break it in, they give you break in instructions.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:37 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

It wasn't a procedure that prompted me to do it that is the recommended break in period. These engines have an unbelievable pinch. The 30V2 has a pinch so tight that it is possible to actually break the pull starter the first time if you don't take you time and put a few drops of after run oil in the cylinder and leave the glow plug out to give it a few carefull pulls to get a tad bit of the pinch worn enough to be able to start the engine with the glow plug loose. If you do less than a gallon and a half before you start pounding pavement you might as well pack it up and call it junk.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 PM
G*Man

I see, interested in the method of break in, you didnt just idle trough 1.5 gal did you?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:10 PM
mozzzy_2000

Hmmm...Its true that these sort of super tight engines dont fully wake up until about a gallon but I dont think you would necessarily do a run in for 6L(1.5Ga) before hammering it, despite what the instructions say. They are built like the more famous Italian engines like novarossi which have the famously tight pinch. After about 1L your engine will be be basically run in but they dont consider it totally run in as the engine wont fully "open up" until about a gallon of fuel as been run. That doesn;t mean you draw the run in process right out into 6L just because the pinch is super tight. You can actually damage your engine if your prolong the runin especially if its at a rich and cold settings. These are a no tighter than a novarossi or RB and I can tell you are letting your engine go to waste if you are not running it to near full power during the that first 4-6L. I would find it pretty weird if these engines are the ONLY ones that need feathering for the first gallon. They would be the only engine if that was the case.

I have a Sirio Kanai & a RB WS7, both known for super tight tolerances. Both those engines take about 1L to runin but they practically needed to be heated up and the plug loosened for the entire 1st gallon. You certianly dont go feathering it about thats sure!! These are race engines first and foremost and they are intended to be raced ASAP.
Now I know that's going to kick up some debate but its not intended to. Its an opinion but its something that most pro racers and engine modders have told me and they all say the same thing.

I have read many reports about people snapping the conrods in these engines during that first gallon and I can almost guarantee that its because they prolonged the runin far too long and ran their engines too rich which would result in all these conrods breaking. Anyway just something to think about?

I see, interested in the method of break in, you didnt just idle trough 1.5 gal did you?
And G*man, NEVER EVER idle through 1.5 gallons!!!! Infact you really shouldn't ever idle for a runin. You need to get the car onto the road ASAP so you can put load on the enine and bulid up the engine temp. Getting the engine upto at least 200F as soon as you can. I you use an idle runin all that does is runin the engine at low revs and you wont get the right tolerances with the piston & sleeve.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:13 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

I'm sorry, I guess I misunderstood what you were asking. No I didn't just idle through break in. I have a engine break in stand that I use it gives a controled break in. I idled the first quart, then about 1/4 throttle for the 2nd and 3rd quarts, 1/4 and 1/2 for the 4th and about 1/2 and 3/4 for the 5th and let it idle about 1/2 throttle for the rest of the 6th quart. after each tank I let it cool at BDC for about an hour and by the 4th quart I was starting to tune the engine and lean it out. STS engines are alot of work to break in but well worth it.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:22 PM
G*Man

I was kinda joking about idling through 1.5 gallons, but I knew Id get an answer if I suggested that ... it worked lol

Thanks for all the great info and personal experience guys, Ive learned alot!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:28 AM
G*Man

Well Im gonna make the plunge and get an STS.

Id like it all the STS dealers on here could PM me prices on STS 28/30 Rotostart shipped via USPS to Canada postal code: v2p3k7
I may want 2[8D] one for my svavage and one for the hurricane
Old 07-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Kemo

shipping isn't very cheap, its at least $15.00, but you have pm.