Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

engine cutting off problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:30 PM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine cutting off problem

My Tsunami having some engine problem. I've been having fun on break'in but sometime i do one or two fast run
on my last fourth tank. I haven't messed around with the needle valve. I ran it out of the box, works great too.
The problem is when i do high speed it runs then motor wants to stop. Am I getting to much gas or less?
Also since the setting on the needle is already set when i got the car, do u think its max? Or it just for breaking in?
I'm also new and i also have a lightning but this car came out alot better. My lightning is just setting there with stripped
gear, oh well. So what should i do?
Old 07-24-2007, 04:56 PM
ehroof

Default RE: engine cutting off problem

ORIGINAL: jcervantes11

My Tsunami having some engine problem. I've been having fun on break'in but sometime i do one or two fast run
on my last fourth tank. I haven't messed around with the needle valve. I ran it out of the box, works great too.
The problem is when i do high speed it runs then motor wants to stop. Am I getting to much gas or less?
Also since the setting on the needle is already set when i got the car, do u think its max? Or it just for breaking in?
I'm also new and i also have a lightning but this car came out alot better. My lightning is just setting there with stripped
gear, oh well. So what should i do?

1. most likely the engine is running too lean (not enough gas). Close the high needle and turn it 2 turns out and make the low needle (the one next to the throttle arm) flush with the collar around it. This is a good starting point, you can tune from there or it might be fine, its better to run too rich then too lean.

2. Get the upgraded 3 peice clutch bell for the lightning, 17/22 tooth, clermontmotorsports.com has them, drop him an email, also get the spur gear from him too. This will stop you from stripping gears, drop him an email at [email protected].
Old 07-24-2007, 05:03 PM
jcervantes11

yea we talked about my lightning back then. Right now all i need to do is let my lightning to collect dust for a while
until i get paid. But my new Tsunami i have so much fun hehe. Anyways do i need to change the clutch bell and spring'
on this one? Seem like its not eating up my gears. I'm keeping my eyes on it. Whats ur setup on you're tsunami?
I gtg but i'll reset my needle valve,

also what do u mean on "make the low needle (the one next to the throttle arm) flush with the collar around it."
Old 07-24-2007, 05:08 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: jcervantes11

yea we talked about my lightning back then. Right now all i need to do is let my lightning to collect dust for a while
until i get paid. But my new Tsunami i have so much fun hehe. Anyways do i need to change the clutch bell and spring'
on this one? Seem like its not eating up my gears. I'm keeping my eyes on it. Whats ur setup on you're tsunami?
I gtg but i'll reset my needle valve,

also what do u mean on "make the low needle (the one next to the throttle arm) flush with the collar around it."

See if a magnet sticks to the clutch bell, if it does then your ok, if not, you should replace it. If the clutch shoes are nylon then your ok with the shoes and spring, if they are aluminum you should change the spring.

On the side where the throttle arm hooks up, below that, you will see a flat head screw with a collar around it, its kind of recessed, that screw should be flush with the colar around it, not sticking in or out.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:53 PM
jcervantes11

alrighty i closed the needle valve and turned it 2 it still shuts out when i punch the troutle, i screw it out a bit then more and the dying part is over but my performance sucks. Maybe this motor needs more break'in.??? Also I screw out the shift screw out and it shift now then i lost the screw. [:@] freaking pissing me off. if i add thread lock what would happend? Or what if i don't use the screw will i chew my gears?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:05 AM
jcervantes11

gotcha found out that its nylon shoes and i have no idea about if a mag will stick on the clutch bell, but shoe is nylon.
Is shoe better in nylon or metal? I have metal one from my lightning. i bet with that 18 size motor is to much
for lightning for someone that is a newbe like me. Anyways I gotten the shift screw installed with ball and spring
all the way in and i turned it twice so lets see what happend, i'm affraid i need to ogg and buy fuel . What an
experience . I'm gonna keep on breaking in three more tanks or so then i'm gonna lean it more. I think my
car is to lean with 2 turns on needle valve man i am having the badiest luck ever on nitro. doh I'll post more.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:34 PM
jcervantes11

ok 2 turns is too lean so i rich it out a bit maybe its on 2 and a half and it speed alright until i'm pretty far it just chockes up
but it doesn't bother me, its to far where i go lol. Motor sound nice and when i brought it home it aint that hot so i guess i'm
on a good side. But i keep on running it to fast omg. This little bugger is fast and having alot more fun then my lightning.
I know what i'm doing on my lightning now when i have the money. I'm going off to get gas and stuff, i guess traxxas 35 percent
thats how i started hope i'm not abusing. I do keep on runing it fast instead slow and figure eight but i'm on my 5th or 6 tank
so... I still need to get the second gear to shift or maybe its shifting already? Damn sucker is fast and hard to control .
Are you using thread lock ehroof? On you're shift screw? How much turns do u have it on?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:37 PM
jcervantes11

sorry i missed up, i know what i'm gonna do to lightning but for now since i have no money but few change i'll buy gas for now
for my tsunami.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Syclone354

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know my tsunami runs awesome till it shifts then it kinda just levels off doesnt accelerate anymore. try running your trans screw all the way in so it wont shift. maybe yours is shifting and bogging. there is another thread where ehroof talked about the tsunami being geared too tall and the stock motor cant really pull in second. i know im going to change my gearing like he specified in the other thread. check it out when you get a chance.

my carb is set really rich compaired to my brothers tsunami at first. mine is like 2 3/4 turns on the bottom by the linkage and 2.5 turns on the top. my brother was running at just 2 turns out up top and 2 1/4 on the bottm. then he took the baffle out of the muffler and retuned it (closer to my settings) and that thing is so stupid fast now its unbeleiveable...
Old 07-25-2007, 01:47 PM
jcervantes11

yea i need to rich it alittle more but its fast and i'm new to driving nitro. **** i started off from a electric rustler made by
traxxas then lightning, i didn't gotten better luck on lightning then i gotten tsunami and right now it is fast then what i can
handle. Seem it does close to 50+ I don't know if a car don't shift how fast does it go on these cars we're using? syclone r u
using any thread lock on ur shifter screw so it wont fall off?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:45 PM
ehroof

you can use thread locker, use the blue stuff not the red, the red is pemanent, you want to be able to adjust it.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:35 PM
jcervantes11

ok but how much turns do u have on urs sheesh easy quetion. I wish I knew people here that is into nitro
cars . There some people but electric is not for me. ty
Old 07-25-2007, 08:05 PM
rclynx

Thats not really an easy question because when you adjust it you don't check the turns you just move it in and out till you get the adjustment you want.......at least I do...........after its adjusted I turn it in one turn and put a drop of blue permatex in the hole and turn it out to where it was[:-]
Old 07-25-2007, 09:33 PM
jcervantes11

ehroof ok look i tried adjesting started off completly tighton my shift then i ran it, it run the same very fast then i stopped the motor
and i did it every time half a turn, over and over until i gave up, if i turn it more im afraid of coming out. I want to know first how many turn i need to get it to shift before i use thread luck. Well since its on my seventh or so of tank, i ran it very hard, and since my street has a little curve well my car flipped when i tried to turn it and flew lol and hit the underneath of the car. AHHHHHHHHHHhhhh shiii.
But u gotta see it, its faaast. Now my front hub where the bottom screw in, well the hole is a bit bigger now. DOH and axle or
dog bone on front right is bend. WOW but nothing is broken in half. LOL oh my god, i want to fix it soo fast before sun comes down but damnit i gotta wait. Hey what if i use expoxy or gorilla glue or thread lock to secure it? It does have grip though. Axle is the easiest thing to fix. I think i'm gonna glue the screw to my hub and just be easy on my so i wont break something else related to my hub. Ahhh so what should i do about the shifting part?
Old 07-26-2007, 07:27 PM
jcervantes11

Now its running, and it shifts now. But mufler gets hot and now it runs weired, but earlier it was running great, can it be
the heat over here? Its close to 100. Does ya guys drive the car when its hot?
Old 07-26-2007, 07:56 PM
ehroof

sure you can, just run it a little richer, turn the high needle counter clockwise a 1/4 turn and see if that helps. if you dont have a temp gauge, you can put a little water or spit on your finger and wipe the head of the engine with it, if it sizzles away immediately or within 2 seconds your too hot, if it evaporates in 5 seconds or more your ok.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

yeah we race in florida in the mid day.. well we start in the am but end up quiting about 3pm or so.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:21 PM
jcervantes11

haha just like in rc airplanes clubs we usually leave around 3 pm or 4 pm every sunday. It's a no no to take a electric plane
and especially rc cars onless if u take some few planes. I aint taking this there, since theres still some fist for me taking my
brushless jet. LOL oh my sucker is smoking but motor is cool!!! I can tell it slowed it down big time but drivible. Feels great
to enterain little kids around my condos. Hehe one just stayed there and said god damn i never seen nothing like that.
But hey there better cars then this but it is really giving me sometime. The happyiness of doing this type of hobby yea
ofcourse i still need to work on it a bit but damn, not bad for 189.99 tsunami. I tell you what i reather went with
a traxxas when i started it but hey i learned from the hard way. I like redcat cuz you do hands on alot. running richer
takes longer to shift second true or false? Thanks guys
Old 07-27-2007, 04:10 PM
ehroof

it takes longer for the engine to get the high rpm to shift so yes. I feel the same way, i like to tinker with the redcats, find new fixes and upgrades. glad you having fun!!! post some pictures or video
Old 07-27-2007, 06:03 PM
jcervantes11

yea i added today blue thread luck and well it shift within 3 sec or so i have it rich too aint that hot, but yay
wow being a noob so hard but i know inside out on my car now. I think i had a better experience on
tsunami on getting set just right. Wow what an hassle. Let me download my driver for cam and i will post some.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:15 PM
ehroof

you need to turn the shifter grub screw a 1/4 turn clockwise and try again, this should make it shift at higher rpms.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:17 PM
jcervantes11

Ok here is some pic of my cars and my brushless jet. I just took'em today. My lightning needs work, my jet needs new
lipo, and my tsunami is all stock except i have the lightning tune pipe and hub. Also notice about the rim? Looks very
nice but aye its from my other rustler car. I aint using my rustler so now she has a set of new wheels. Car is running
sweet atlast. Dunno i like the way my car shift sooner then l8ter. But i might work on it some other day i'm had it
and car is running sweet. Here is some pic of my toys. Oh yea, i have alot more of planes, around 20 that my
dad built and I. I like planes but now i need to drive over 30 for a good site to fly. Anyways . Thanks for the help!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41004.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	731003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55632.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	731004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25569.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	731005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35278.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	731006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm76304.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	731007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aq98879.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	731008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np19303.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	731009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fe14713.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	731010  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp14169.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	731011  
Old 07-27-2007, 08:18 PM
ehroof

nice bro, i have a pretty serious collections too, actually too much, if there is such a thing (i personally dont think so)
Old 07-27-2007, 09:10 PM
jcervantes11

For me nothing is to much. I have close to 10 airplanes of ucontrol, plenty of rc planes, three cars, three heli was four, sold
my nitro 12 sized heli and baught my nitro truck and some other stuff. Theres never too much to have. **** I want more.
Redcat got me there, I love messing with redcat cars now. I know how shifting works and breaking and other stuff.
Anyways its great to have even more. Its never enough. I love collecting things and mess with. Thanks helping me out
bro. Oh yes, Cars caught my attention then planes for all the years since 80 of flyings planes and ucontrol
I am hooked on cars and the most this one.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:53 PM
jcervantes11

ok i counted the sec right now it takes 5 sec to shift on full throttle. What do you think? How long does you'rs shift? God knows
hows you're tunning compare to mine. Hey i notice that my tires is wearing off LOL. And its leaving some spots on manifold.
And my shocks. Whats a good tires and rim? Or maybe just tires for this rim. Its from electric traxxas rustler.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.