Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not Impressed but now am

Granted this is my first Nitro RC, but as a general consumer I am not impressed. I have already lost one pull start mounting screw, front dog bone, had one shock come unscrewed and lost all oil. I can not get replacement clutch bell to work, and the servos are so damn jerky it is impossible to get a steady tune on my engine because I can not trust the throttle trim to be consistent from one start to the next.

If Redcat wants to be a serious company they really need to get their act together. Really wish I had done more research before making my purchase.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
    Savage X, LST2, RedCat Tornado BB, LOSI Micro DT, Slash, Custom Stick Clod

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Not Impressed

What kind of redcat do you have. To be honest its sounds like my warhead evo, which was 450.00 dollars. If you are having a problem just ask, the people in these forums are more than willing to help.
    Sponsered by: ALL ABOUT FUN HOBBIES /ALL ABOUT FUN HOBBIES PRODUCT REVIEWER

+DD+

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got the Tornado BB. Am I being unfair? Do most RC's require this much maintenance? I was ready for the loose screws etc, but it just seems like something is constantly breaking. Like I said Redcat provides a replacement steel clutch bell for the stock aluminum one, but it does not fit properly. I emailed support and they suggested moving/removing washers. I consider my self above average mechanically inclined, but for the first time RC buyer with little mechanical inclination this could be very confusing. After doing some research and reading I would consider the Redcats entry level RC vehicles. As such they just seem to fall a little short. Am I being unfair?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you want to be a serious RC hobby person you better do a little reading and get caught up on what it meens to be a hobbiest. These are not automobiles and you didn't even pay a big price for a new product like you would a Traxxas or an OFNA and the same thing happens to there new cars. #1 all screws should be checked every time you run and RC. There is a whole list of things that need to be addressed that you didn't. Personally I'm not impressed with you as a hobbiest and if you can't get with the program go back to your TV or bad mitton[>:]

If I had a choice I would have sent out an application to Mr. Parputt537 and seen if he was really qualified to own an RC car before he was allowed to buy one[&o]
    Custom Cars bring out the stars / Home of the RCLYNX, RC IMPROVEMENT, MOD, SALES & SERVICE Dealer;XTM, CEN, HPI & much more

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just remember you get what you pay for. Yes they are entry level rc's. Dont think you are going to get a 500.00 quality car for 200.00. Its just not going to happen. They are good for starters. Unless you get the hurricane. They will run with the best of them.
    As far as the clutchbell goes, support is right. Just mess around with the washers. Its not that hard. Just make sure that once you get it set, locktite the clutchbell screw in and tighten it down all the way. But make sure the clutchbell will spin freely. If not then you dont have the spacer washers correctly installed.
    Cen truggy, Bigfoot 1/5th, Cen buggy, Mg16, Redcat Earthquake, Redcat Drifter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rclynx

If you want to be a serious RC hobby person you better do a little reading and get caught up on what it meens to be a hobbiest. These are not automobiles and you didn't even pay a big price for a new product like you would a Traxxas or an OFNA and the same thing happens to there new cars. #1 all screws should be checked every time you run and RC. There is a whole list of things that need to be addressed that you didn't. Personally I'm not impressed with you as a hobbiest and if you can't get with the program go back to your TV or bad mitton[>:]

If I had a choice I would have sent out an application to Mr. Parputt537 and seen if he was really qualified to own an RC car before he was allowed to buy one[&o]
    Wow, did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? I did not come here and join this forum to start wars with people. I joined RC Universe to learn and that is what I am trying to do.

Clermont, thanks for the tips. You have been helpful as always. I just did not expect to have these kinds of problems with so few hours on my car. Live and learn I guess.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, forums = pissed off people, 75% of the time - lol, but you have to shrug it off....

Everyone is right, it is called a HOBBY because you have to spend every last spare minute and every dollar you have on it. If you didn't, it wouldn't be a hobby.

I had the same problem with jerky servos, I think it might be their receiver box because I used the same transmitter and servo on another vehicle I have and it didn't jerk - UNLESS my transmitter antenna is half way down ... It might be a receiver box antenna length issue - REDCAT !!!

And trust me, please trust me, if you are a 'first timer', you WILL BREAK a lot of parts for about 2 years before you ''start'' to get the hang of it. You can not cut corners, until you get the patience - If you start cutting corners before you understand the fundamentals, you will never understand why it won't work ...

Like Clermont says, you get what you pay for.... BUT BUT BUT at the same time, this DOES NOT mean that a Traxxas is worth $550 just because it is a little better quality - You will have EXACTLY the same issues no matter what you buy.

Just my 2 cxents

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Parputt537

I got the Tornado BB. Am I being unfair? Do most RC's require this much maintenance? I was ready for the loose screws etc, but it just seems like something is constantly breaking. Like I said Redcat provides a replacement steel clutch bell for the stock aluminum one, but it does not fit properly. I emailed support and they suggested moving/removing washers. I consider my self above average mechanically inclined, but for the first time RC buyer with little mechanical inclination this could be very confusing. After doing some research and reading I would consider the Redcats entry level RC vehicles. As such they just seem to fall a little short. Am I being unfair?
    Yes you can expect things to break. My warhead evo has spent more time down than running, and thats not considered entry level. You will break things and break them often. I really love my redcats, they are the only vehicles that seem to always run. There are tricks that you will learn along the way, like i said before dont give up and dont get discouraged. The product isnt really that bad. I dont think your being unfair, Your just pissed. And understandably. If you have any questions at all ask them. There are good people here to help.

As for the clutch bell, you might have to move them around some. I take it that when you tighten it down it doesnt spin? If thats the case then the washers(spacers) arent put in right. Work with it. Youll get it.

+DD+

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? I did not come here and join this forum to start wars with people. I joined RC Universe to learn and that is what I am trying to do.
    Never wake up on the wrong side of bed as a matter of fact I was giggling when I was writing that reply. It was the same thing you wrote at the start back at you is all, and was hoping you would come to the conclusion you did. I make a living at this hobby and I hope some day you enjoy it, but its not for everyone and any misconceptions you might have had you look at a little different now don't you so enjoy the hobby because if you do there going to be a lot more breaking in the future..........Good luck[:-]
    Custom Cars bring out the stars / Home of the RCLYNX, RC IMPROVEMENT, MOD, SALES & SERVICE Dealer;XTM, CEN, HPI & much more

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep, I guess it was indeed me that got up on the wrong side of the bed. I started messing around with the car and finally got the replacement clutch bell installed and it does free spin now. I also just removed my other front dog bone and front drive shaft until I can order a replacement dog bone.

Yes, hobbies are expensive and there is a learning curve to all. I am a life long golfer and have spent thousands on clubs and rounds. So, I know what y'all are saying. Again I guess it was me that woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Thanks for setting me right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL, I cant begin to tell you the amount of $$$ i have in this hobby, very rarely does a day of rc'in go by without breakage. I have learned its good to check the entire car out before you go running and afterwards, no matter what brand and believe me i own every brand and type of rc you can get, part of the fun is fixing and tinkering, getting a few extra mph out of them or pulling the front end off the ground. One thing you need is patience in this hobby, ok, maybe a little more with the redcats, lol.
    125 characters and 2 lines is not enough to list my RC obsession!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thought I would speak up on this one.
    I sell redcats in Mesa AZ.

For people that I know I have taken the time to break down the cars and build them back up and started the break in procedure for them. These people think that redcats are the greatest thing ever. They run when you pull the cord the screws don't fall out and even after a few small crashes with luck nothing is broken. When I started with the nitro cars I had a much harder time getting started then these customers did. I had problems keeping the cars running understanding the carb setups etc. By not having some one around that can dump all that information on you will always have a harder time starting off. If you stick with it and learn as you go it will turn around.

As always though if you want to jump your Tornado down flights of stairs you will break more things then someone rolling thier lightning around in an empty parking lot.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, can I get someone (mod) to change the title of my thread to TOTALLY IMPRESSED!!! This afternoon I took the time to go over my car with a fine toothed comb. Went out and ran at least 4 tanks of fuel through it (I lost count LOL) and had the best time ever. Not a single break down or restart required. Thing hooks up like a scalded dog with the new clutch bell and Traxxas clutch shoe spring. My Tornado BB is now a little hard to control being that I took out the front drive shaft and remaining front dog bone, but DAMN this thing is a blast. Can someone please help me get my foot out of my mouth Pretty funny to see a 39 yr. old man out laughing his ass off. Weeeeeeeeeeee.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok changed it hope that is what you wanted
    Cen truggy, Bigfoot 1/5th, Cen buggy, Mg16, Redcat Earthquake, Redcat Drifter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Not Impressed but now am

bro, i am a 38 year old guy and i am always having fun and playing when i get a chance. When you put the dogbones back in, put a small peice of fuel tubing in the drive cups to take up the extra slack, make sure there is a little play and no binding, also paint them a flourcent orange or red color so you can find them easier when they fly out.

glad to hear your having some fun!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ur kissing ass now LOL now i'm giggling good job
    Hi my name is Jim and I am a Heliholic. Darn Heli-Crack Addiction!! lol
    AMA LICENSE NUMBER: 928146

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh man redcat. Where do I start? Well be easy on their cars, not every car is made equal. I did the same thing
    by getting into rc nitro by buying a lightning from redcat. I had the worst experience ever. I ended up of having
    the breaks missed up when i first got it. It would shift, it would stay on due to the spring in the bell. Man i even
    ended up with strip gears. I never got it to be fixed. I gave up a bit. I didn't had no patient. Until few days ago
    I baught a Tsunami from redcat. That was different. I got it, i had problem of some things. Shift, motor stopping
    problem on high speed. Oh my but man i had patient and tweaking it every day. I have patient on airplanes
    and not cars. But now i have patient in them. I thought this wasn't my hobby but rc nitro plane or brushless electric
    planes. Well I am happily owner of Redcat racing tsunami. Yea I took the long ways by buying a redcat but it is worth
    it. I learned how to work on things. Here is some pictures and yes it seem it goes over 40 miles per hour maybe 50.
    I don't know. A blink of an high its already on the other side of the corner. WOW. Oh hardiest part is tunning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig13638.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	731121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn40688.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	731122  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sorry it wouldn't shift at first

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just wanted to to throw out a "Hypothetical" statement ...

Let's pretend that Redcat Sucks.
    Ok, fair enough, BUT NOW go look at a "WILDCAT" Truck (Wild Cat RTR)... (Yes they exist)...

Suddenly, Redcat doesn't suck anymore.

Point made.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Parputt537

OK, can I get someone (mod) to change the title of my thread to TOTALLY IMPRESSED!!! This afternoon I took the time to go over my car with a fine toothed comb. Went out and ran at least 4 tanks of fuel through it (I lost count LOL) and had the best time ever. Not a single break down or restart required. Thing hooks up like a scalded dog with the new clutch bell and Traxxas clutch shoe spring. My Tornado BB is now a little hard to control being that I took out the front drive shaft and remaining front dog bone, but DAMN this thing is a blast. Can someone please help me get my foot out of my mouth Pretty funny to see a 39 yr. old man out laughing his ass off. Weeeeeeeeeeee.
    Another customer served, glad you had fun and everything is coming together for you.

+DD+

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ahhhhhh, but wait. The insanity has just begun. See, I am working on a drilling rig south of Dallas/Fort Worth. There are three of us out here with BB's. I made a make shift track just off location today. We start racing after our shift is over at 6pm. Will post some pictures of the insanity

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nice bro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

koo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well the other guys went to town so I did a little bashing on my own. Sorry can't get the file upload to work to post pictures. Will try another computer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ur link isn't working. It's saying

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast