Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Monsoon Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:27 PM
pede_187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcats Monsoon Thread

i do, just adding another to the collection, this is the one i have and the one i just picked up is the original green one.
AH, ok. You have one of everything so now you're going for two of everything, LOL

Is it just me or does it look like the RTR monsoon would be better than the RTM monsoon. Isn't the SH.28 a really good engine and with an FM radio.......
Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one thing i have learned, you cant have too many rc's. just got an engine from clermont today for it
Old 01-18-2008, 11:16 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: BIGAIRBEN

You could just buy a Losi instead of turing the Monsooon into one..Your Moonsoon isnt even a Moonsoon anymore its a Robtrontic-osi-soon LMAO
Hey, I do what I have to do to make it run with the big boys right? That is a good one though, I think this is better... Robitr-osi-kyo-soon!

For you guys that do not get it, I have Robitronic Mantis 14mm big bore shocks, Losi pipe and wheels, Parts fit from a kyosho. So you have Robitr-osi-kyo-soon!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

dont tell him to waste his money on losi.. There too slow
Old 01-19-2008, 12:44 PM
rexrw

Can someone pelase help? My friend just bought a Monsoon about 2 weeks ago. To this day he has not been able to get it tuned right. It either bogs from the get go or bogs half throttle or full throttle. I have been trying to help him tune it and it just seems like this thing can't get right. He got so fed up with it this week that he just gave it to me, that is how frustrated he got with it. I got it yesterday and was going to try and tune it today but it has frustrated me as much as it has him. Before I try and tune it today can someone please tell me what the settings should be for the HS and LS needle? It is past rboken in and about on it's 10th tank I would say. We still haven't been able to get it through a full tank and it holding a tune. Can someone please help? If I can't get it right today I am done with it also. I will put it in the garage sell my wife is having next weekend and sell it for whatever someone wants to pay for it, I don't care if it sells for $5.00 Something like this is not worth my frustration. Especially when I have Associated's, HPI's, and Losi's in my garage that work just fine and have never had this many problems. Any suggestions? The guys at Redcat have been no help and don't even answer their phone. When he took it by there for them to look at it they didn't do jack for him.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:49 PM
ehroof

3 out on the high, 3 1/2 out on the low and tune from there, if you have all those other cars you should have no problem tuning it.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:59 PM
rexrw

You would think I would know how to tune an engine seeing how many other cars I have but this Monsoon takes the cake for sure. I have tried it all and checked every other problem as far as leaks and what not. I will try starting over from teh factory settings and see what happens, thanks ehroof.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:11 PM
motodude11

also try cleaning out the carb. Take it off, take the needles out and just flush it with fuel then set it to factory settings, sounds like you might have a dirt problem, also flush out the fuel system and filters too.

Josh
Old 01-19-2008, 01:18 PM
rexrw

Everything is cleaned out and set to factory settings. Got it started but it was spitting mad fuel out the pipe. Turned down the HS a bit and still spitting mad fuel and stalling. I hate this damn controller that came with it. How do you set the throttle trim with this digital controller? Think maybe the LS is to high and that is why it is spitting so much fuel also? It seems like I am getting closer.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:49 PM
motodude11

good to here that you are closer, i hate that controller seemed to do a lot of stuff by its self when i had it on my monsoon, i use a futaba 3pm and it works great, also sounds like you need to lean the low, do the pinch test like this [link=http://www.*********.org/engine-tuning.htm]Engine tuning[/link] its a good way to tell which direction to go (lean or rich) Its how i set all my cars up (keep a copy with my toolbox) and it works great. Hope this helps!

Josh
Old 01-19-2008, 02:02 PM
rexrw

It seems like the LS needles is really hard to turn in either direction.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:05 PM
motodude11

hmmm don't have an answer for that one sorry
Old 01-19-2008, 03:02 PM
ehroof

yes, leave the high where it is and turn the low needle clockwise a 1/2 turn and see if that helps you out, then go from there.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:09 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

Well just broke in my monsoon today after rebuilding my SH.28 motor and it feels good to actually have it able to idle again. I already can tell the power it had lost compared to now being rebuilt. Let it idle for 2 tanks and the ran 2 tanks through it at half throttle. After being down a couple of weeks....New motor....New Losi LPR wheels and tires.... Losi pipe.... new fuel tank.... this sunday at clermonts (dennis') track....[sm=punching.gif] THE RETURN OF THE MONSOON!!!
Well the return of the monsoon lasted about 1.5 hours today![] Car was running AWESOME with the new losi LRP wheels and tires and this was the first time out with the newly rebuilt SH28. Loved the new power again, Then....... it ran away on me and stuck wide open throttle! AND I HAVE A SPEKTRUM!!! Once I got it back to my bench the motor was locked up![:@][:@] Removed it and found the piston and head pitted and my rod bearing broken and bent the rod. New cylinder, New piston and everthing is now JUNK!! I do not think I can trust the crank where the rod bearing goes. Time for another motor

BTW the reason why it ran away was my on/off switch went bad and cut power to my reciever at WOT! Since reciever had no juice the failsafe could not work.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:24 PM
rexrw

This thing is seriously junk. Tried to get it started today and on first pull the cord broke, and I only pulled it barely half way - i know how to use a pull start. This thing is seriously not worth my time. Good luck to everyone else that has a Redcat, as far as I am concerned this is a dead cat. Out.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:41 AM
ehroof

Well just broke in my monsoon today after rebuilding my SH.28 motor and it feels good to actually have it able to idle again. I already can tell the power it had lost compared to now being rebuilt. Let it idle for 2 tanks and the ran 2 tanks through it at half throttle. After being down a couple of weeks....New motor....New Losi LPR wheels and tires.... Losi pipe.... new fuel tank.... this sunday at clermonts (dennis') track....[sm=punching.gif] THE RETURN OF THE MONSOON!!!
Well the return of the monsoon lasted about 1.5 hours today![] Car was running AWESOME with the new losi LRP wheels and tires and this was the first time out with the newly rebuilt SH28. Loved the new power again, Then....... it ran away on me and stuck wide open throttle! AND I HAVE A SPEKTRUM!!! Once I got it back to my bench the motor was locked up![:@][:@] Removed it and found the piston and head pitted and my rod bearing broken and bent the rod. New cylinder, New piston and everthing is now JUNK!! I do not think I can trust the crank where the rod bearing goes. Time for another motor

BTW the reason why it ran away was my on/off switch went bad and cut power to my reciever at WOT! Since reciever had no juice the failsafe could not work.
3 words bro, throttle return spring
Old 01-21-2008, 12:42 AM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: rexrw

This thing is seriously junk. Tried to get it started today and on first pull the cord broke, and I only pulled it barely half way - i know how to use a pull start. This thing is seriously not worth my time. Good luck to everyone else that has a Redcat, as far as I am concerned this is a dead cat. Out.

sorry to hear your giving up, the monsoon is a great truck, the sh. 28 engine is a great engine, very reliable.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:07 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: ehroof

3 words bro, throttle return spring
You know what is funny? I had a friend by me 2 losi throttle return springs and the night before I brought the monsoon out I was going to put them on but it was late and I said I would do it when I got back from track! Guess I will be putting them on a new motor LOL!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:12 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: rexrw

IF it aint worth your time to replace a pull start which IMO should be removed as soon as you buy it because everyone knows they will break SOONER (your case) or later than I do not think you should have any R/C cars. What are you going to do when you go out with truck and bump a curb or pvc the first 2 minutes of driving and break a arm? Throw that truck in the garbage too because it aint worth you time. Stuff breaks in this hobby. Sometimes it take awhile and sometimes right off the start.

Good luck with whatever else you get.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 AM
motodude11

lol I'll give you $10 for it since its double what you wanted and I'll pay for the shipping to CT.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:28 PM
vnmsgt

Let the bidding begin. I will double that at 20.00! LOL
Old 01-21-2008, 06:28 PM
madmarty

50 bucks here. i can even pick it up!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:42 PM
twomanytoys

Yep blame the engine tuning on redcat. Sh is a solid engine and real easy to tune. If you give up this easy then I think this hobby is not for you. Try tuning a traxxas 3.3 and see how frustrated you get then.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:57 PM
motodude11

i have no problems with either of them I am very happy with my 3.3 thank you very much lol[8D]
Old 01-22-2008, 04:00 PM
ehroof

i have no problem with my 2.5, 2.5r (modded) or 3.3 but i have heard from alot of people that the traxxas engines are hard to tune. actually my modded 2.5r can be a little tempramental.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.