Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

redcat tornado problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 06:09 PM
yamaha1166

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redcat tornado problem

I have a tornado shockwave buggy. It ran fine during the break in process. After it was broken in, it would run fine for a few minutes and then the acceleration would get more and more sluggish. Soon it would have trouble even making it up a little hill. But when i pick it up and rev it up it sounds fine.When its on the ground it sounds different and runs really sluggish. PLEASE HELP!!

thanks
Old 07-29-2007, 06:26 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Default RE: redcat tornado problem

Ya may need to retune the engine, you should read this, and print it out for future reference.

Engine Tuning Guide:
[link=http://www.redcatracing.com/tuningyourengine.asp]http://www.redcatracing.com/tuningyourengine.asp[/link]

Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:58 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the tuning doesnt work, you may need a new plug, i would suggest the os a3 plug. you should change a plug after break in anyways.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:45 PM
yamaha1166

i tried tuning it for a bit today but couldnt get it going, i'll try again tommorow and change the plug. i will let yall know how it goes.
thx alot for the help
Old 07-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Parputt537

I had the very same problem with my Tornado BB after break in. My problem was that I got over zealous with my tuning and messed everything up. Set all screws back to factory and started over with very small adjustments and everything was fine. You might also want to check your clutch shoes. Sounds like your clutch might not be engaging. Could be the spring or shoes are worn.

EDIT--Almost forgot. Another thing to consider is what kind of fuel you are using. There are some fuels out there with an additive that will cause the car to bog if you tune to lean. Supposed to keep noobs like me from blowing motors while learning how to tune. Anyway, just take a step back and check everything you can think of that would cause a power loss.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:53 AM
BackYardRacer

Me and yamaha1166 use bluethunder 20% and yeah it says if overleaned it will cause engiene to bog or shut off at full throttle and thats exacly what happened.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:17 PM
BackYardRacer

Me and yamaha have changed the plug and retuned the car. It helped a little bit but its still bogging after a few minutes. It still ends up the same it just last a little longer now. Please help us we want to get this baby running!!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 01:20 PM
ehroof

is it getting hot, what temp are you at? should be no more than 260-270. Set the high needle to 2 1/4 out and the low needle flush with the collar and start from there.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:08 PM
yamaha1166

We dont have a temp gun so i'll use a drop of water. And once we start with those settings, should we lean it or richin it? Because it usually runs a little better rich. And should we keep adjusting the low end screw or just leave it even with the silver rim?

thanks
Old 07-31-2007, 02:33 PM
ehroof

i would think lean it but see how it runs. watch this video, it will explain instead of reading. watch 1 first and do what it says then do #2

1. http://youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As

2 http://youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNo...elated&search=
Old 07-31-2007, 03:57 PM
Parputt537

Sounds to me like y'all are still setting it to lean. Leave the low speed even with the collar. Start turning the high speed in a little (VERY LITTLE) at a time. Maybe 1/8 to 1/16 at each adjustment. I know with the fuel I am running I can not get my Tornado BB down to anything below 1 3/4 turns out or it will bog down. So do like ehroof said: Low flush with collar and high 2 1/4 out then start making small adjustment in from there on the high speed. When it bogs you are too lean. Back it off a little and do not try to lean it out any more unless you change fuel.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:38 PM
yamaha1166

Thanks for all the help guys but nothing seems to work. We followed the video step by step and no matter what we do it seems to stay the same. We're thinking about sending it back and replacing it because its been broken since we got it. thanks anyways
Old 07-31-2007, 05:48 PM
ehroof

it actually sounds like an air leak, probably the base of the carb, head, backplate or front bearing. if you want, when you have it running spray some nitro fuel on the engine from a spray bottle in the areas i said above and see if the rpm's raise, if they do then thats where the air leak is.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:49 PM
ehroof

did you check to make sure nothing is blocking the fuel nipple on the fuel tank, take if out and make sure its not clogged, there have been some issues with the fuel tanks, plastic blocking fuel flow from behind the nipple.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:35 PM
skrotch

I had the stock muffler melt inside at the fuel pressure nipple and was blocking the hole. Take the muffler off and take it apart and check the baffle and see if you can see light through the fuel pressure nipple.