Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Start up for Volcano

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:58 PM
cdextreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start up for Volcano

Ah, this is causing me great pains. I have set to pecs on this forum and tried new glow plugs and can never get it to start without eventualy giving a bit of throttle on the transmitter. My lsn is flush with 1 turn clockwise. my hsn is 3 turns out and my idle is around 1 mm. Also with my rotostart it seems the the engine does not turn over properly. easiest way to explain it is that it only seems to spin the engine briefly then freewheels (sounds like the owb to me) but then it progressively gets better? So close to wanting to throw it in the garbage. I do not believe this could be such a horrible truck. Really wanting to make this work.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:30 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Start up for Volcano

yes owb is on its way out. Is this a new truck? just after breakin?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:16 AM
cdextreme

No its not new. The previous owner only had a bout a quart and a bit of fuel ran through it. I got it, during tuning brokethe pull start and replaced it with a rotostart and had acted this way since it was put on.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:20 AM
alpha1one3

I think when you turn on the roto start and if ur new to r/c u can break things within the egine. Because of a hydro lock. And the roto start has a lot of torque and keeps on going even though there is a hydro lock. But if you use a pull starter you'll know if theres a hydro lock and you can dry out the egine, to prevent breaking. But yeah when I was new to r/c i thought a roto start would be nice but broke alot of parts inside the egine.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:55 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Hey take the OWB out of the pull start and soak it in nitro fuel over night. Then take it out and let it dry, clean off the back plate of the engine and the pull star edges that meet the back plate, get some high temp silicone sealent, like hightemp copper and put a thin bead around the edge of the pull starter that meets the back plate it should help to somewhat seal the back plate and help cause some pressure and help keep the oil from seeping through where the pull start shaft sticks out, ya know where the pull start shaft and brass busshing are.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Syclone354

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

Hey take the OWB out of the pull start and soak it in nitro fuel over night. Then take it out and let it dry, clean off the back plate of the engine and the pull star edges that meet the back plate, get some high temp silicone sealent, like hightemp copper and put a thin bead around the edge of the pull starter that meets the back plate it should help to somewhat seal the back plate and help cause some pressure and help keep the oil from seeping through where the pull start shaft sticks out, ya know where the pull start shaft and brass busshing are.
yea i had that problem. i still pull start, but mine would only grab like once in a while and slip most of the time. took the owb out and hit it with some brakeclean and cleaned off the crankshaft. dried it all and put it back together and the pull starter works like brand new! you shouldnt have any more trouble starting it after that!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:32 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use carb cleaner, lol
Old 08-11-2007, 06:23 PM
cdextreme

I am thinking hard about getting that os engine. This one I think is done. I had her running for abit the other night, then last night she wouldnt stay running. I would remove the glow start and she would just die.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:13 PM
ehroof

sounds like a glow plug to me, or you may need a hotter glow plug. os a3 works good in these engines. I am awaiting an sh .18 and header from redcat, should get it on tuesday. I have the os .18 cvrx on 4 of my cars and i love it but i have been hearing alot of good things about this sh, i will let you guys know.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:25 PM
cdextreme

WHo makes the sh? What are the differences?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:38 PM
ehroof

the company sh, a chinese company but they make very good engines, at lest the ones i have had, tried and heard of. I must admit, i do love my OS engines though, nothing is easier to tune and start. I will post some pictures of the engine when i get it.

here's a link to SH's website: http://www.shengines.com/index_2.htm

redcat is stocking the .18 sh, the .28 sh they have is a real good engine so i would think so it their .18, i have the .18 os in several of my rc's and will let you know how it stand up to them.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:05 PM
cdextreme

I cleaned my owb and it is working perfectly. I had installed a new os3 glow plug the other day when it ran. Engine still seems to have good pinch. how are the carbs? are they a week link?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:26 PM
cdextreme

What is the difference between the cv-r and cv-rx engines?
Old 08-12-2007, 09:34 AM
ehroof

pullstart, one has one and one doesnt.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:39 AM
cdextreme

Which bearings are needed for the 17t clutch bell? Is there a shim kit I could buy as it doesnt seem to fit just right?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:49 PM
ehroof

should fit using all the stock stuff.