Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Engine blown???

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Syclone354

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine blown???

Well, i think i blew the engine in my tsunami today. it has little compression and will not start. i also noticed i can turn the flywheel from under the car with my fingers in either direction with very little resistance. Is there a 100% way of telling if its blown or not?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Engine blown???

if its hard to start when hot, and you can spin the flywheel real easy even while its cool, then its shot.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Syclone354

well its impossible to start at all now. hot or cold. the last time it ran it ran fine for just a minute then bogged down and shut off. hasnt run since. it has hardly any compression

so do i exchange it through their program or try to fix it?

does it void the exchange if i open it up?

the more i run this thing the more i wish i had just bought a 1/8th car to start with...
Old 08-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Kemo

when it gets warm and it just bogs down (when tuned like it should be), thats called blow by... clear sign of a shot piston/sleeve. The pinch has indeed weakened to the point where it wont run anymore.

Save up some dough and get an OS engine, worth every penny.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Crazziee

No don't get a new engine like Kemo says, Just buy a new piston and sleeve..Costs around $40 shipped. Then fit it yourself and you will be up and running in now time. I juts ordered one myself.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Kemo

i dont see why he shouldn't. Get something with more power, holds a better tune, and will live twice as long as the original engine. Plus, os engines are extremely reliable.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:33 AM
{GBI}Harryball

ORIGINAL: Crazziee

No don't get a new engine like Kemo says, Just buy a new piston and sleeve..Costs around $40 shipped. Then fit it yourself and you will be up and running in now time. I juts ordered one myself.
Thats funny, 40 dollart repair, time to take apart and so on, when you can buy a complete .18 motor for 59.99. Get a new motor like kemo says, the os is real nice.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:29 AM
Syclone354

where do you get the os engine?

also, is the sh .18 any better? I saw that on the redcat site and it was like $10 more than the vx .18. after the exchange program cuts it in half its only $5 more to replace it with the sh if that is a better engine than the vx

hopefully i can figure something out soon so i can have it running for next weekend. i just came back from hobbytown yesterday with $53 in new wheels tires and didnt even get to see how they worked. they are all 4 rears from a traxxass i think it was a rustler but they are a little shorter than my old tires.

im sad that my car is broke
Old 08-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Syclone354

oh yea one other thing. is it possible to over-rev these engines? could that have damaged it? i have the tuned pipe and saturday night we were at a local car cruise at home depot and after the lot had mostly cleared out we decided to do some parking lot racing. mine was really screaming

i think it just sucked a bunch of dirt yesterday. we took them to my friends house where we have a motocross track setup. problem there was we havent had any rain and it was a dust bowl. it probably just pulled some of that dust in and scratched it all up inside. I would like to take it apart and see what the piston and sleeve look like but dont want to if that wont let me exchange it.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

do you have oil on your air filter? Do you have a prefilter? If not, down in florida with all the sand all the racers use vet rap from the local tractor supply. Keeps every bit of dirt out, doesn't restrict air flow and b est of all saves your motor
Old 08-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Syclone354

so if i exchange it with Redcat, should i get the vx or sh engine to replace it? which is better?

edit. i also see that the volcano pro model comes with the team infinity engine.

soooo vx sh or infinity
Old 08-13-2007, 05:13 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SH, i am getting mine with the new header tomorrow
Old 08-13-2007, 06:42 PM
alabama

Hi,
i have a probleme with my engine too,, i have the tornado bb and i broke it threw two days ago and since then i cant get it to run AT ALL... I feel like i have tried everything so i am really erratated and my fingers hurt[].
Can someone help me?

Mat
Old 08-13-2007, 06:44 PM
ehroof

did you change the glow plug, its usually a good idea to change it after break in, make sure the glow plug ignitor is working and charged. take the plug out and put it in the ignitor and see if it lights up bright orange.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:46 PM
alabama

Yes Yes i have done this many times and tried a various kinds of glow plugs and i have charged my ignitor for a requiered about 12 h before using it again...

Mat
Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 PM
ehroof

did you touch the tuning needles?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:52 PM
alabama

I have tuned them to perfection on my break in and i let them like so for a while trying to start it. but after no luck i decided to reset them to a point were my engine should start and i actually got it started for about 1/2 a seconed a couple times but not ferther then that. my needels right now are set so the angine should start and run poorly... Fast idle, rich mix ...

Mat
Old 08-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Syclone354

ORIGINAL: ehroof

SH, i am getting mine with the new header tomorrow
thank you. thats what i wanted to know, and coming from who seems to be one of the very most educated users of this board it makes me feel much more confident in my decision!

so new header huh? care to elaborate on that, maybe a pic
Old 08-13-2007, 07:56 PM
ehroof

will post it when i get it tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:58 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: alabama

I have tuned them to perfection on my break in and i let them like so for a while trying to start it. but after no luck i decided to reset them to a point were my engine should start and i actually got it started for about 1/2 a seconed a couple times but not ferther then that. my needels right now are set so the angine should start and run poorly... Fast idle, rich mix ...

Mat
try 2 1/2 out on the high and flush with the collar on the low. raise the idle with the trim on the radio a little and try.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:27 AM
alabama

I have but i have no luck with that eather![:@]

Mat

Im running out of ideas and things to try...
I dont think the engine is shot but i cant get it started...
Old 08-14-2007, 06:41 AM
{GBI}Harryball

Mat

Check your gas tank for flow. A friend of mine had the same problem with his BB and the tank was bad.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Syclone354

Mat

does it have compression? does it pull hard, or does it pull really easy? try turning the flywheel from underneath the car with your fingers. if you cant in either direction without a lot of resistance, then it should be ok. maybe your pullstart is slipping and you just need to clean the one way bearing (owb) inside the pull start
Old 08-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Crazziee

Sounds like the same problem I had, I pulled my sucker until my fingers bleed and it would not start. I checked everything and in teh end it was low compression.

So check your compression if you can turn it easily at the flywheel with your fingers it's dead. And no matter how hard you try it will not start. Sometimes you will get it to fire but only for a split second.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:12 PM
alabama

Yeah well i can get it started now pretty easoly with the glow ignitor ON!!!!!! and it will only run with the igniter on... i have changed many plugs but its just the same thing... and i dont wanna leave my igniter on for 5 min. But the throtle dosent do anything it just idles... and on top of that when it starts almost all the gas gets spued out the pipe(exaust) But one thing i have realizes is that most of the gas is not burnt so i think it may be a probleme with the combustion. I dont really know anything about this kinda stuff im only a teen. My dad was also trying to help me and hes a mechanical aeronotical engineer... But he dosent know much about rc cars. He finds it facination and laughs at me cause i cant get it started and i kneed help... Well i have checked about everything that i can. Yes the flyweel is hard to turn but only when the piston is at the top (completely normal) and my pull start is working fine just like when i got it. I have a crappy hobby shot in my city so i cant get any parts appart from glow plugs and ignitors.
[]
I kneed help. Anyone!

Mat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.