Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Engine blown???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:20 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine blown???

your running too rich, turn the high needle a 1/2 turn clockwise and the low needle a 1/2 turn clockwise then try to start it, when you get it started, rev the engine with the wheels off the ground to clear out the excess fuel
Old 08-14-2007, 03:25 PM
alabama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have tried that already but when i rev the engine the cars seems to stall out or konk out or it just dies...
every single time. I have done many many adjustments on the needles.and still nothing!

Mat
Old 08-14-2007, 03:26 PM
alabama

I have a little box that i put it on so the weels dont touch and its coverred in fuel NON burnt fuel.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:31 PM
rclynx

Eddie just told you your running to rich.........................the engine will stall when to rich and fuel all over your tires etc. crank that screw down and let it screem.......lol[X(]
Old 08-14-2007, 04:05 PM
alabama

Hey man whos eddie???

wait never mind i already did i have tried all the screw setting possible to run this car but nothin!

Mat
Old 08-14-2007, 04:06 PM
alabama

Ill go try again now just for ****s and giggles!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 04:07 PM
ehroof

i am eddie and your running too rich, you need to lean your needles out. if you changed the plug and it only runs with the ignitor on it and there is oil shooting out of the exhaust then your running way to rich, the only way you can get it ro run is going to be to listen to me and lean the needles out like i told you.

close the high needle and open it 2 1/2 turns, make sure the low needle is flush with the collar around it or even a little in
Old 08-14-2007, 04:34 PM
alabama

yo man and apparently your not reading what im posting... I told you i have already tried and i have just tried like 5 min ago. You think that i would ignore somebody 's help who is 100times better and more knoligable in this subject then me... I leaned out the needels and the same result as before it runs for a little and dies if i take the glow ignitor off

I bet its somehting really stupid and im just not noticing it (i hope thats it)
Thanks

Mat
Old 08-14-2007, 04:35 PM
ehroof

if thats the case then your plug is probably bad, even if you changed it, doenst mean its good.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:36 PM
alabama

I have circled aarrouned 3 plugs... the original and one med hpi and one cold hpi.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:40 PM
ehroof

you need to run a hot plug, like an os a3, that may be your problem, small blocks like hot plugs
Old 08-14-2007, 06:36 PM
alabama

I checked my hobby shop and they only have med and cold. but is the one that the engine originally comes with hot? because i can still use that one and i do. i tested it and it works fine and my volt meter showed me 100 % power on my igniter.
Thanks

Mat
Old 08-14-2007, 06:39 PM
ehroof

yes it is, try that and see how it works.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:32 PM
alabama

HeyHey it works!!!!!!

Well sort of... but i got it to idle even if my throtle is a full well its a start so i guess now all i have to do is tune it right... That tip worked ehroof thanks... The one about the one about it being way to rich. and my 2 glow plugs were not burning hot anough. well does anyone have any ideas about how to keep your engine clean? i heard someone who puts rubbing alcohol in his tank and pumps it threw but my fuel says not to put after oil in it so what should i do??

Thanks everyone great help!!

Mat
Old 08-15-2007, 10:24 AM
mozzzy_2000

Glad your car's up 'n running! in regards to after run oils it pretty much comes down to personal preference and how much you run your engines. If you are running them at least once a week or so then you probably wont need to use it. Just for an experiment had a engine sitting idle for 6 months without any corrosion whatsoever so yeah its not totally that necessary in some instances. I personally dont like using that much cause it makes the engine harder to start up and it fouls the glow plug really easily and for these reasons I dont use it. However when in winter and I dont get to run them that much I do tend to put a drop or 2 in them.
I definately cant see why one would run alcohol through the engine thats for sure. Probably wouldn;t be any harm but I doubt it does anything useful.
but my fuel says not to put after oil in it so what should i do??
You're not suggesting you put the ARoil in the fuel itself are you? Hope I misread that. You take the plug out at the end of your session and drop a few drops of ARO down the hole and a few in the carby throat and thats all you need to do.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:18 PM
alabama

No no would not do that thats dumb... At least i think it is. Well sometimes my engine cesses up and i put a drop of all perpose oil in it . If i wanted to clean my engine at least once every two weeks couls i just drop a few drops of alcohol onto the piston?What do you guys do? Also i get what you mean mozzzy it makes perfect sence not to put aro in your engine but i am still not to sure.
btw i got my car roling but i cant seem to tune it right. I can get it up to about 30 mph and then it wont go any faster or it wont click into seconed gear. What should i do? Further more this is the way i tune it: I put iton a stand so the weels dont touch and i turn the trim up all the way so the air intake is about 2-3mm open then i pick a screw and adjust it till the weels spin faster of slower depending on the direction. Is this a good way?
Thanks alot guys...

Mat
Old 08-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: alabama

HeyHey it works!!!!!!

Well sort of... but i got it to idle even if my throtle is a full well its a start so i guess now all i have to do is tune it right... That tip worked ehroof thanks... The one about the one about it being way to rich. and my 2 glow plugs were not burning hot anough. well does anyone have any ideas about how to keep your engine clean? i heard someone who puts rubbing alcohol in his tank and pumps it threw but my fuel says not to put after oil in it so what should i do??

Thanks everyone great help!!

Mat

Are you using sidewinder by chance? Some fuels say that the ingredients in their fuels make it so you don't need ARO. To heck with that little sticker, ARO ARO ARO... ARO for the win! Always always always use ARO.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:09 PM
ehroof

1. i always use after run oil at the end of the day, 2 drops in the carb and 2 in the cylinder thru the glow plug opening, no matter what fuel i use.

2. Here is some tuning videos, its easier than trying to explain, dont wory about it being hpi, its the same principal, set the needles to 2-1/2 out on the high and flush with the collar on the low so you are rich before you do the tuning, watch a first then b. you shifter will need to be adjusted to make it shift if it doesnt after your done tuning but tune it first.

a: http://youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As

B: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg
Old 08-15-2007, 08:30 PM
alabama

Thanks that helped alot but i think i destroyed my reciever they dont like water very much do they lol...
I have to get a new one i think.
Well thats life so i guess its ok there not that expensif anyways right?
Thanks

Mat
Old 08-15-2007, 08:45 PM
ehroof

not really if you get it thru redcat, i would suggest getting a futaba setup instead, you can get the whole setup for like $47 and up
Old 08-18-2007, 07:36 PM
BaLLZaCH

Hey alabama,

I personally have not had any luck getting my (SH micro engines) to run at 2 1/2 turns out ... Also, what kind of fuel are you using ? What percentage ?

I feel your pain ... I 'thought' I screwed up my piston/sleeve in my Redcat because it was tuned PERFECT one day, then the next day (same temp outside) it wouldn't start. For 3 weeks, I could not start it.

Until finally, I hit the magic tune.

ehroof is right about holding the throttle a llittle or setting the trim up, except, sometimes this KEEPS you from being able to start.

I started at 1 7/8 turns out, low speed about 1 1/2 (Which is about 1mm below flush)

MAKE SURE YOUR IDLE is set correctly, or about 1mm open. (I used to think yeah whatever, but seriosuly if your throttle is too far open you can flood the engine and it will not ever start) - this could happen after break in when your engine loosens up ..

Also know that a 1/16th turn in the low speed could needle be the difference between starting and never running again.

I have 3 methods that I use to start my Redcat now.
(My Trinity usually starts on first pull hahahaha)

Be prepared to continuously remove your glow plug. ALL THE WAY OUT. I know, this is something I blew off at first too, but now years later I know different...)

Clip on the glow igniter. (Glow plugs: I know it has been mentioned to change it, but I have never really had a problem with them unless they BURN OUT or are caked with debris or oil - blowe the oil out and use the ignitor to burn some off before re-installing)

Start yanking the cord. Dont stop.

If it doesnt start at first, (Should already be primed), then try priming again. Hold your finger over the exhaust while pulling the start for about 4 pulls then let go - never stop yanking ...

If it still wont start you might be flooded. Remove the plug, clean it, turn the engine upside down but allow the muffler to point down as well, yank the starter and clear the oil out of the pipe, and fuel out of the engine. Replace plug.

DO NOT PRIME, try pulling for about 2 minutes, Still no srart ?

Now you start getting mad. Either open the idle about 1/4 or use your remote to bump 1/4 to 3/4 open - once it starts purring, hold the throttle WIDE OPEN and keep freekin yanking .... WOW it starts ...

DO NOT remove the ignitor until you rev it up several times and clear the fuel from the engine.

I hope it helps.

Clermont

do you have oil on your air filter? Do you have a prefilter? If not, down in florida with all the sand all the racers use vet rap from the local tractor supply. Keeps every bit of dirt out, doesn't restrict air flow and b est of all saves your motor

HEY CLERMONT,
What is vet rap ???

Old 08-18-2007, 07:57 PM
ehroof

vet wrap is like an ace bandage for animals thats diposable, breathable, almost like a pre fitler for your air filter, you wrap the filter with it, this way you dont have to clean your air filter at the track or bashing yard, just unwrap the wrap and put new.

A properly tuned or close to properly tuned engine should start in 2-4 pulls, if you have to pull for 2 minutes you have a problem. 2 1/2 out on the high and flush with the collar on the low is base settings on all small block engines, .18 and lower, this setting will pretty much always get you up and going, weather a vx .18, os cvrx .18, associated or hpi engine. Depending on the temp and humidity the tuning could be a turn or more leaner but these setting should always get you started, i find the people have the low end needle opened too much and it ends up flooding the engine, if you find the engine is flooding while trying to start and your not priming it or just cleared out a flooded engine, try turning your low end needle in 3/4 of a turn, the low end is what controls the fuel flow during idle and take off, hence the "low" end name.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:13 PM
alabama

Well i can get it running perfectly and i resoderred a tranducer i thnk it was on the inside of the reciever and also a wire connected to the switch and it worked... I am using 20 % nitro fuel but i am not sure what kind. I find that it works good and i do not think that it has been gumming up my engine to bad latly. Actually your starting tips helped the one about not putting the throttle to open it works perfectly now Thanks. And WOW did those tunning vids ever help.[X(] I was very surprised of how sensitive these engines are!

Thanks ...

Mat