Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

volcano epx

Old 08-13-2007, 11:04 AM
skkipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volcano epx

I picked up a volcano epx for my son who is 4. he was running an old big bear but wasn't a good fit.

opened the box and every thing was in order. the truck looks great. he like the big silver rims and the flames on the body. All we had to do was mount put the antenna on. the kit also come with so shock preload spacers which we haven't used yet. I wanted to give it a go in stock form before changing anything so i charged the included battery on the included charger.
then gave it a go.
it was pretty tame, almost disappointing and actually good for my son to run so he could get used to it.

The next step was to intall a deans plug and pop in a 4500 nimh from my duratrax ice. It was a changed truck. It drove over every thing. tall grass, flower beds, everthing.

after that run the motor and speed contol were smoking hot. I think driving through the deep grass really loads up the motor.

I really like this truck. it is great fun and is almost as quick as my xxx-t. The radio is glitchy and cheap feeling. the steering wheel binds so it doesn't automaticly return to neutral.
I know redcat imports these kits as they are but a true kit would be so much better. Myself and many other hobbyists have extra stuff or would like the freedom to put our own stuff in it. So in the future give me the vehicles unassembled and just a rolling chassis.

overall I am very happy with this truck. I just need to find a dealer in the seattle area for parts.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:43 PM
saleens7

Default RE: volcano epx

you have any pics or maybe vids?

how fast would you say it does stock?
Old 08-13-2007, 01:32 PM
skkipper

I can put a tach on the wheels to give a somewhat accurite measure. I say somewhat cause if your tires grow due to centrifugal force you will go faster.
i will have wheel rpm times circumfrence
Old 08-13-2007, 02:23 PM
saleens7

you dont need to do that.....just give a guess about how fast it goes...25mph? 30mph?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:37 AM
skrotch

My Tornado EPX is super fast! It burned up the stock ESC in 2 seconds flat! The stock motor, only a couple of weeks! Now that's fast!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:43 PM
cen123

How is the handling on the Volcano EPX? I have a stampede and am thinking about buying a volcano and adding a brushless motor to it. Do you think a velinion brushless esc would fit on it? Will any aluminum idler gears/differentials fit?
Old 09-18-2007, 06:55 PM
twomanytoys

cen123,

Why get rid of a good truck when you can mod the stampede adn you know it will handle the extra power with some small modifications. No one is sure what the volcano will hold up to and you cant upgrade the internal parts that break like you can the stampede.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:07 PM
cen123

was just wondering because its four wheel drive
Old 09-19-2007, 07:12 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it handles pretty well, here is a vidoe of it

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...CANOEDITED.flv