Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Warranty on Tornado epx esc?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:05 PM
cartronicshn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty on Tornado epx esc?

Are these esc covered by any kind of warranty? i have a fried esc, stock motor, stock pinion, no mods at all[X(], i was just drving it around on low grass with the crapppy stock bat and it just started to smoke[X(], no water or moisture , i know it's rated at 13 turns and it was just being used with the stock 540 can, so what's the deal with the esc?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
skrotch

Default RE: Warranty on Tornado epx esc?

I have fried 2! The first one, I was just driving on my street when it happened! For the 2nd one, I had a different motor and battery because I thought that the first one might have been a fluke since I was only driving it on the street and the ESC probably had about 15 minutes of runtime! The second time, I was running a 17T Reedy Radon with a 27 tooth pinion, the stock is 26T and a 3300 battery! Someone at Redcat recommended that I change the battery and pinion on the stock motor but it didn't last long enough for me to get the parts!

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THE STOCK MOTOR OR ESC!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:54 AM
cartronicshn

I totally hear ya, i own a bunch of esc's from novak, castle creations, mopeds, tamiya to name a few, i know there are better esc's out there, my question is about a stock car, unmodified, and the esc going up in smoke in less than 10 minutes of driving, first time out, is it covered under any warranty?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:28 AM
skrotch

They covered mine, but the second one went after about 20 minutes of driving! I didn't bother complaining to them about the second one! I am just going to replace everything that I can that came from Redcat, and then maybe I will be able to drive it on a regular basis. If you open the case to the ESC and look at the bottom where the battery connectors are soldered to the board, you will probably notice that the solder is messed up. I re-soldered mine and it fixed the problem for a little while.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:50 AM
cartronicshn

I contacted R.R. support, just to see where they stand on this, i told them the problem, out of the box stock car, 10 min driving, esc up in smoke.
They answer, when was it bought? i give them invoice and date
Answer, it's over 2 months old, i explain to him, takes up 12 days to get to my shipping address and at least 2 more weeks to get to me in Honduras
Answer, in 2 months a lot could have happened. Iask him, if a product sits on a shelf for a while then gets sold it doesn't have a warranty??
I think support should be that, support, not give you the run around, not treat you like you are a 12 year old trying to get away with a freebie, specailly when i did inform him i was a dealer[:@], i have more electric powered redcat heading my way, i guess i will replace their esc with a better one and forget about any warranty this redcat units have, if any
Old 09-05-2007, 11:57 AM
skrotch

That is crap! You are a dealer and they won't replace it for you! How can you honestly tell your customers that you have faith in the Redcat products you sell, when Redcat won't help you out when you have a honest problem that they know has happened on more than one occasion. Personally, I wouldn't sell any of the EPX line if I were a dealer! They are very poor quality! The Nitro's are great for the price and then some, but not the electrics that they sell!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:28 PM
cartronicshn

Totally agree on that, i am the one who has to put face for these products[:@], i will definetly won't sell any more electric redcat until they come with some solution for these esc, if it is indeed a recurring problem.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Kemo

are there any employees at redcat that are electronics technicians?
Old 09-07-2007, 05:52 PM
cartronicshn

Good question Kemo, but not necessarily a technician, but someone who at least has driven an rc to have an idea.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Kemo

well, best thing you can really do then is invest in an aftermarket esc.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSGY5&P=7

Good introduction to brushless should you choose to go brushless. you can use brushed and brushless!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:03 PM
farmboy30

my esc is starting to act up... the esc you listed is a good one, but it sucks that it is as much as the car is []
Old 09-07-2007, 07:33 PM
cartronicshn

Kemo, i own a novak ss 5800 with the sintered upgrade, 4 mamba 25 , mamba max, 3 crawler systems from novak, i am all for brushless technology[8D].
Old 09-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Kemo

well, sounds like its time to test its limits with brushless
Old 09-09-2007, 07:02 PM
cartronicshn

Of course my friend, i am dueling on getting another Mamba max and 6700 motor or running the novak ss, i'll let you konw how it goes
Old 09-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Kemo

have lipo yet? i wish i had brushless for my electrics so i could test out lipo for them too.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:12 AM
cartronicshn

That's the one thing i haven't invested on, i am to afraid of them still, i just don't feel to comfortable on a batt pack that can be totally damaged for going a little under the recomended voltage or one that will blow up on a collision or a little over the voltage also, might give a123 a try though, i just have so many nimhs right now[&o]
Old 09-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Kemo

gotta have quite a bit to protect you and your equipment to run safely... and it gets costly at FIRST. LiPO packs and LiMn packs are spendy too, but c'mon now, soon as the technology becomes more adapt to our hobby... its bound to get cheaper and way safer.