Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

what is a servo?

Old 01-03-2008, 07:42 PM
dbigfoot111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is a servo?

what really do the servo do? whats the point of getting high toque servo?
i dont understand
also how often should i put after run oil
i run my truck 2-4 times a week but for some reason the bottle said
it can last up for one month?
how often should i clean my air fitler? do i put the oil in before i run the truck?
thankyou
Old 01-03-2008, 07:45 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: what is a servo?

the sevo's turn the wheels and apply the brakes and throttle, the more torque the faster and stronger it will do it.

i put after run in after the end of every running day. its cheap insurance to keep the engine good.

clean your air filter when it starts to look dirty, i use dawn dish liquid, dry it then apply the air filter oil and kneed the filter like you would bread until its worked thru the filter.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 PM
enduser

I squirt WD40 into the engine every time as I put the car away after a run. I also clean the filter about the same time but thats just trying to get into the habbit of cleaning it. I bought a K&N air filter kit for $12 which included a spay on oil aerosol can (oil is Red in color) and a cleaning detergent to clean off the oil.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:01 PM
dbigfoot111

can u give me a link where u get that k&n filter?
also ehroof so the servo only apply on high power engine?
also y there so many peoples want to get after market high end servo?
i still kinda dont understand about the servo part
thankyou for some advice guys
Old 01-03-2008, 11:58 PM
enduser

ORIGINAL: dbigfoot111
This is the oil http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=99-5000 You should be able to buy it at any car part store. I Canada I got it at Lordco.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:50 AM
hrdcoreglf

A good servo is very important to anyone serious about r/c. It is not just the torque that is important, but also transit speed. This is the reaction time from when you hit the throttle or steering and the servo performs that action. I personally use a higher torque servo for steering, because you have more control over a rough terrain. Also when you are bumbing tires with other buggies a high torque servo will help win the battle. I don't need as much torque for throttle, because it does not take as much torque to open and close your carb.. A fast transit speed with a mid range of torque is what I use for throttle. At the end of my race / practice day I clean my car with a soft brush and air compressor. After my buggy is clean I use five drops of after run oil in my engines. Remove air filter and put one in the carb., ( some say this may damage the seals in the carb, it has never happened to me )remove the glow plug from your engine, put four in the hole where your glow plug goes. Turn the engine over a couple of times with what ever starting device you use. Replace glow plug and store for next time. I put a clean filter at the beginning of the race day. I sometimes replace it several time on a long day. I use a medium sticky filter oil, and if you don't have a two stage filter I suggest getting one. It will save on engine wear. You oil the inside element so it catches the smaller particulates that the dry stage of the filter misses. The dry stage of the filter helps keep the sticky element from clogging to quickly. The more oxygen you can get to your engine the better. Good luck
Old 01-04-2008, 09:09 AM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: dbigfoot111

also ehroof so the servo only apply on high power engine?
also y there so many peoples want to get after market high end servo?
i still kinda dont understand about the servo part
thankyou for some advice guys

get a motor saver filter, drop clermontmotorsports.com an email and ask him about the fitler, its one of the best around and he does carry them.

good servo's apply to all rc's and engines, the better the servo the faster and stronger the response to the controls, the stock ones are fine for regular bashing and running.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:27 AM
dbigfoot111

thankyou guys this really make me a better chance of understanding more aobut rc
Old 01-05-2008, 01:56 AM
zeen420
Banned

Isnt WD40 bad to put into any part of an engine?
Old 01-05-2008, 08:35 AM
ehroof

i dont use it, some people do, its better than using nothing at all but i use and would suggest using after run oil instead.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:29 PM
zeen420
Banned

well i just know that WD40 isnt a lubricant, and wouldnt put it in an engine , it actually dryes stuff out, we used to use it to put grips on dirt bike handle bars cause it would dry out
Old 01-05-2008, 08:13 PM
rc_crazy21

WD40 prevents rust and this is what you are trying to stop, so the motors do not lock up. I personally use nothing and never wrecked a motor from it and have never had to replace a motor!! I am sure people will make comments, so go ahead!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:25 PM
twomanytoys

WD-40 stands for W ater D isplacement perfected on the 40th try.. Its not a lubricant but it does disperse water which is what you want in an engine. It wont hurt the engine.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
ehroof

i look at it this way, for $5 or less you can get after run oil, so i use that, makes me feel better.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:08 PM
5lagd

i have an exceed 1/10 nitro buggy and a tsunami ultrawide 1/10 truggy. the servo response is sooooo much faster on the tsunami than the forza buggy. must have better servos in the truggy.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:10 PM
ehroof

redcat uses better servo's in their cars.