Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Natural disasters and redcat racing

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Natural disasters and redcat racing

Old 09-03-2007, 06:29 PM
quadzilla122

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Natural disasters and redcat racing

i find it funny that all of redcat racings models are based on natural disasters(earthquake, volcano, tornado, tsunami, avalanche, tremor, lightning, and the hurricane)
Old 09-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Kemo

Default RE: Natural disasters and redcat racing

One of their ex employee's cracked a joke about using Monsoon for a name. Looks like the name stuck pretty well.

All thats left is Lahar and Maelstrom
Old 09-03-2007, 07:45 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blizard, typhoon, tidal wave, there are a few more disasters out there
Old 09-03-2007, 07:51 PM
quadzilla122

tidal wave is a tsunami lol[&:]
Old 09-03-2007, 07:53 PM
ehroof

if so, you could say a typhoon is a hurricane then
Old 09-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Kemo

the other names are licensed and/or copyrighted
Old 09-03-2007, 08:16 PM
ehroof

i dont think so, i have seen tornado on a few other rc cars. the name Lightning on several.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Kemo

try using Blizzard...
Old 09-03-2007, 08:22 PM
ehroof

you think because kyosho has the blizzard? you could make a different rc with the name, they dont own the right to the name, lol. it just couldnt be an exact copy, you could make a truck called a blizzard, just wouldnt make too much sense.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Kemo

kyosho owns the name, it'd be like calling the Hurricane a Hyper (ofna owns the hyper name), the names are protected.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:28 PM
ehroof

they dont own the name blizzard, lol. thats impossible, then dairy queens shake called the blizzard would be copyright infringement. They have a copyright on that style vehicle with that name, thats all, not just the name blizzard. If you called a 1/8 buggy hyper and it was from redcat that would be infringement IF they have it copyrighted, the name to that buggy.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Kemo

Its guaranteed that they have the name copyrighted, otherwise the name would have been stolen LONG ago. Remember Ultima? Kyosho has had that name protected for over 20 years, and even when they didn't have the car in production.

Inferno, Blizzard, Ultima, Hyper, RC 8 10 12 and 18 prefix by associated, Rustler... all examples are all protected names in the industry.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:39 PM
ehroof

i am not going to argue this anymore but i dont think so, like i said, check out the name lightning, same name different vehicles different manufacturers. you cant copyright a name, you can a name to a product but not a name. If there is a difference in the products the copyright goes out the window, thats why you see chinese knock offs all over the place, just like the picco z mini heli. same product different name, they were able to get some infringement laws against some companies for the copy of the product since they were duplicates. If i took an on road car, 1/8 scale and it was totally different than the rustler and called it a rustler, traxxas would have a very hard time tyring to say i stole their name but at the same time it would be very stupid to do it since that name is associated with the rustler truck. hows about the name MT? hpi has a truck named MT (now the mt2) and hot bodies i think thats who makes it also has an MT truck. A name is a name, no one owns it, just the product that has its namsake.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Kemo

The chinese "knock offs" are sold designs, and altered just slightly. The "duplicates", were sold to the companies to use as their own vehicles. More often than not, its companies that use them as their OEM facility.

Lets bring up the Team Losi XX series... now lets bring up the Duratrax Evader series... both are almost 100% identical. Losi sold the design to Duratrax, changed the rear end a bit, but Duratrax was responsible to come up with their own name.

Email a manufacturer and ask them if they have their product names protected.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:49 PM
ehroof

as i stated above, there are numerous rc vehicles with the same names, not identical except the name, you cannot make the same product with the same name but you can make a different product with a different name.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Kemo

sorry, but most of the vehicles out there that have a name or prefix for their models are protected by a Trademark.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:58 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: Kemo

sorry, but most of the vehicles out there that have a name or prefix for their models are protected by a Trademark.

you just said it in a nutsell: name or prefix for THEIR models, you cant make an exact replica or a similar vehicle with the same name like associated naming the rc10gt2 a rustler

we will have to hire an attorney to settle this, i know you can have stores with the same name as long as they are not the same business.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Kemo

nah... the name in general is protected until the company decides they dont want to protect it any longer. Heck you can even trademark a phrase, so no other company in the industry can use it. Right now, "domination by design" can not be used by any other company in the industry because the president of that company thinks its valuable to the company to keep.

Thats why when picking names, you have to be careful that you aren't picking the very same one that is protected.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:12 PM
ehroof

you actually have to choose 3 names when you opend a corporation. you can have a corp. called main street as long as they are different like plumbing or construction or cards and gifts but you cant have 2 the same.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Kemo

yeah but in this industry, you'll never see another surface vehicle called a hyper, inferno, raze, rustler, 8ight as long as those names are protected by trademark.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

quit while you are ahead Ed. He is just looking to argue. This will have to be another deleted post soon lol.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:20 PM
quadzilla122

i was about to tell you guys to chill.lol
Old 09-04-2007, 03:25 PM
rclynx

Lets see there was a Mazda Rustler, Traveleair Rustler, RV Rustler, Quad ATV Rustler. there is a Ferrara Inferno, Dodge Inferno, and on and on and on so whats your point Kemo. Almost every model out in the USA is copied to a T by the Chinese and sold around the world and not always as someone elses OEM, I have products that I modify and lable my own so what is protected. Nothing is even sacred any more, like using a name that implies the demise and suffering of others like, Kemo which implies a theropy used for cancer. Only protection that really works is death and only then are you protected from seeing and hearing dumb things to argue about
Old 09-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: rclynx

Lets see there was a Mazda Rustler, Traveleair Rustler, RV Rustler, Quad ATV Rustler. there is a Ferrara Inferno, Dodge Inferno, and on and on and on so whats your point Kemo. Almost every model out in the USA is copied to a T by the Chinese and sold around the world and not always as someone elses OEM, I have products that I modify and lable my own so what is protected. Nothing is even sacred any more, like using a name that implies the demise and suffering of others like, Kemo which implies a theropy used for cancer. Only protection that really works is death and only then are you protected from seeing and hearing dumb things to argue about

Do some research. The mazda rustler isn't in this industry is it? neither are the Atv's or anything else for that matter.

USA doesn't manufacture RC vehicles here, they are all done in Japan, Taiwan, China and so on. Those very same companies out there, also sell their own LEGAL variation of the similar model, but sell it as their own product because they have the OK from the original designer of that vehicle.

You guys are arguing that there can be something else called the rustler, the inferno, and so on... well yeah, but MY argument is, as stated over and over, you will not see another RC company call a car/truck the rustler, the inferno, and so on... unless they company doesn't have it protected.

Thats not an argument, thats a fact. Ask a lawyer, email kyosho, ofna, mugen...
Old 09-04-2007, 04:27 PM
ehroof

seems like you have the burden of proof kemo, we all say something different, you need to email kyosho and show us proof.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.