Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Lightning rally conversion?

Old 09-11-2007, 08:28 PM
el_tonto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightning rally conversion?

How much ground clearance does the Lightning have? How much travel do the on-road shocks have? I'm looking at doing a rally conversion of my Tornado using Lightning parts. I anticipate needing the Lightning front arms, links & dogbones, the front and rear shock towers, and front and rear shocks. But I need to know if I'll lose too much clearance at the front.

The redcat site lists the Tornado as having 215/205mm track (F/R) and the Lightning as having 195mm track - so I'll end up with 195/205 track F/R. These widths will suit this body http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRXT0&P=ML (ok so that's not much of a rally car!)
Old 09-12-2007, 08:18 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lightning rally conversion?

you definately wont have enough clearance to make a rally car with the lightning, its very low, wont run off road. on the track, its so low the sides get scraped up from the corners.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:43 PM
el_tonto

What if I retain the standard buggy shocks? can I "jack it up" or will the suspension arms then be at too much of an angle?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:48 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will check for you tomorrow, i honestly dont know, it may work. so you want to use the lightning arms with the volcano shocks? actually you cant, one takes a pivot ball suspension, the other a arm suspension, the lighting arms wont work on the bb, only the shockwave since the diff cases are different.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:22 PM
el_tonto

My drill will fix the pivotball vs a-arm issue! Or I could probably just switch over the plastic ends of the shock shaft.

Actually I have a HSP Atomic something-or-other which I think is actually closer to the older Redcat Tornado XP. But I figure this is probably still the best forum!
Old 01-06-2024, 03:04 PM
WhiteWabbitt

Default Lightning suspension for offroad

Hey, new here i aquired a lightning and converted to off-road..they are correct you wont get clearance you need..i had to get longer control arms,dog bones, shocks and re geared to put some beefy mud tires on . Running stock 3300kv motor and 2s battery with better esc. Im not a drifter.but MAN do these rigs FLY offroad!! Either way buddy go for different unit to scab arms,axles ect from…they gotta be atleast 1/3 longer to get any ground clearance without too much binding on the dogbones