Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

FINALLY fixed over heating problem.

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

FINALLY fixed over heating problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:49 PM
twomanytoys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FINALLY fixed over heating problem.

I wrote Redcat about my problem and have NOT received any answers. So it looks like Im not getting any help from them on my sons new tsunami. After exhausting every option from resealing the motor, checking fuel tank and installing new o ring, new head gaskets, shimming head, new lines, etc..... I finally took the carb off and installed the carb from my O.S.12. The os carb ran great. temps were about 230 then went up to about 260 once tank ran low. Power is good and motor runs great. Seems like the low speed needle on the vx carb may be too long or too big. I have to have the low speed needle out 1.5-2 turns out past the end of the bell. The low speed greatly affects wide open throttle. If I turn the low speed in any more it heats up. With the low speed out it wont heat up but low end sucks adn I have to have the carb slide open pretty far to keep it running. With the os carb it runs great.

Here is a pic with the OS carb installed and the VX carb with setting I had to use to keep it running.

Now why wont Redcat respond to my issue? Do you think they should help me out and send me a new carb? It has been nothing but an issue since day one. My son has had it about 3 weeks now and has only been able to drive it once adn I have put about 1 qt through just to figure out the problem.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90410.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	764961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13156.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	764962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93383.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	764963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw64095.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	764964  
Old 09-17-2007, 07:55 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FIANLLY fixed over heating problem.

i used an os carb on rcdannys volcano engine, it was a perfect fit, os .12 czr i think it was, only a single needle, we just couldnt get it tuned, he took the low needle out i think and it was partially clogged, he cleaned it and it worked fine from what i remember, you would have to ask him to make sure 100% that the low end being clogged was his problem but the os carb did fit and work!!!!!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:59 PM
rclynx

Default RE: FINALLY fixed over heating problem.

I would call and talk to someone cause it darn sure isn't right.................they should replace the whole engine, its a day one problemI do it for my customers[&o]
Old 09-17-2007, 08:06 PM
twomanytoys

Well I wrote an email to Darin and no response. I also wrote him about a friend of mine that ownes a hobby shop that is interested in being a dealer and he got back to me the next day but nothing on my issues. What can I do?

My O.S. carb has all 3 settings and its off of my .12 cz. It fit perfect but thats not what came with it and im sure alot of life has been taken off of the vx because of the over heating.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:10 PM
ehroof

try getting in touch with nick at redcat, he's good guy, i am sure he will help you out
Old 09-17-2007, 09:58 PM
twomanytoys

should I call or how do I get a hold of him.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:21 AM
twomanytoys

Ehroof,

I called to Nick and he said he has never heard of this issue with the carbs. He is going to send me a new one for free and as for the tires that I ruined trying to get the glue off he gave me them for half off. I only need 2 wheels and tires so I got them for $9.00. He wants me to send the old carb to him so they can check it to see what the problem is. Thanks again! Hopefully I have better luck with hte new carb or the vx is going to adopt an OS carb.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:42 PM
ehroof

your welcome bro, glad you got the problem solved.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:53 PM
rclynx

I called to Nick and he said he has never heard of this issue with the carbs. He is going to send me a new one for free and as for the tires that I ruined trying to get the glue off he gave me them for half off. I only need 2 wheels and tires so I got them for $9.00. He wants me to send the old carb to him so they can check it to see what the problem is. Thanks again! Hopefully I have better luck with hte new carb or the vx is going to adopt an OS carb.
Thats great glad to see its working out for you / course you could let it adopt a whole .18cvr..........Nahhhhhhhh then the kid would be beating you sooner.................lol[&o]good luck twomanytoys
Old 09-18-2007, 06:08 PM
twomanytoys

Im not worried about him ever beating my Jato thats for sure! Even with an 18cvr. Now I have to order some more parts that I have broke durring this whole ordeal. That way he can get a truck thats ready to go and if he breaks it I wont feel so bad.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:52 AM
image079

Hi twomanytoys,

I was looking at the photos that you originally posted, and noticed that the fuel line from the tank to carby looks pretty short. My car has about 7 inches of fuel line from tank to carby (from factory). You could be force feeding the carby too much? Did you cut the fuel line before or after experiencing the problem, or is this how you got it?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:44 AM
twomanytoys

Thats how I got it. My JAto has about 7-8 inches of fuel line also. Im gonna ditch hte motor and install a good name brand motor.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:10 PM
ehroof

fuel tube length really has nothing to do with how the car runs except when you flip it over, the longer the fuel line, the longer the car will run upside down, more fuel in the line.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:46 PM
cdextreme

I heard that if it is longer on the exhaust to the tank it evens out the pulses, is that true?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:26 PM
ehroof

not that i have heard of