Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Rotostart not turning the engine over

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Rotostart not turning the engine over

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 12:11 PM
sinfony78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotostart not turning the engine over

What can cause this problem? I just ran my monsoon last nite and it started with no problems, one push of the starter button and no problems. Today my rotostart won't turn the flywheel at all. Any ideas what's causing this?
Old 09-22-2007, 01:31 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rotostart not turning the engine over

it depends, if its turning but the engine is not turning its most likely the one way bearing, if it acting like its stuck and wont turn, it can be a gear problem in the rotostart, broken connection rod in the engine, several things.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:09 PM
rclynx

Did you put in after run oil and bottom out the piston when you put it away?[&o].............lol just adding to ehroofs list
Old 09-22-2007, 02:54 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Check your OWB, 99% of the time that's the problem, the bearing is on the inside of the engine so if you are running like say traxxas 20% then the problem is that there is too much oil in the traxxas fuel and it causes the OWB to slip on the shaft. You should be running 30% nitro in that big blocks they run better on it normally has less oil and the OWB won't slip. If you don't want to switch to 30% then stay with the 20% and store the car with a block or something under the rear wheels to keep the engine at a slant so the left over nitro oil and after run oil will settle at the front of the engine away from the OWB. That way the OWB won't be coated with oil when you go to start it the next day. Another thing you can do is loosen up the glow plug before you get ready to crank it over it will let some of the compresion out and put less stress on the OWB letting it grab the shaft. Another thing is to prim the engine with some nitro fuel in the carb before you start it that way it won't have to run all the way through the fuel line to start the engine, and it will self prime the fuel lines, not only that but it will save wear and tear on the roto starter and the battery.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:54 PM
fengraul

ORIGINAL: rclynx

Did you put in after run oil and bottom out the piston when you put it away?[&o].............lol just adding to ehroofs list
hey rclynx, how much u sell monsoon for? i am looking for a 8th scale truggy and iam in canada r3t3k1, please quote me a price and shipping , thanks.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:08 PM
sinfony78

i have heard that the 20% traxxas fuel has too much oil for these rotostarts...so right now, it's been about 24 hours since I last ran the car...i took the one way bearing out and wiped it a little to try and clean it and i did notice a little bit that the flywheel turns a little bit more when i use the rotostart...i'll wait a day or two more to see if goes back to working to see how it was

is there anything i can do in the meantime to speed up this process and try and get some of the nitro oil out of the engine?
Old 09-22-2007, 06:19 PM
twomanytoys

What kind of battery do you have in the rotostart? Maybe teh battery is low.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:23 PM
rc_crazy21

Is the battery fully charged for the roto starter? Just thought i would throw that in there! Like mention already loosen the glow plug a bit, also if flooded the roto starters have a hard time pulling the motors over. Can you turn the fly wheel over? If so then your motor piston and linkage should be good, next you would have to check the one way bearing like mentioned from others! Make sure this bearing is put back together properly otherwise it will just spin freely when starting. Best thing is to just try a few things and look over everything to make sure any of it is working like it should.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:00 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: sinfony78

i have heard that the 20% traxxas fuel has too much oil for these rotostarts...so right now, it's been about 24 hours since I last ran the car...i took the one way bearing out and wiped it a little to try and clean it and i did notice a little bit that the flywheel turns a little bit more when i use the rotostart...i'll wait a day or two more to see if goes back to working to see how it was

is there anything i can do in the meantime to speed up this process and try and get some of the nitro oil out of the engine?
Yes as a matter of fact, lol, after what all was just said there is. let the OWB soak a few hours IN nitro fuel and swish it around in a small container then take it out and just let it sit and dry out. The actual amount of oil that will be left behind will be very very small and will help clean it out.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:18 PM
vnmsgt

I think it is the one way bearing. I ran Traxxas 20% fuel in my monsoon and my other truggy when I bought them and had the bearing problem. I read that when you clean it with contact cleaner, they dry it out and put a dab of motor oil on it then reinstall it. Do make sure you install it correctly because it will go on both ways. If it goes on the wrong way you will think you did not fix anything and it will not turn the motor over. As far as getting the rest of the oil out of your motor you should not have to do anything but run the new fuel you choose to buy. All I did when I cleaned my bearing was flip my truck over and drain the tank, refuel with new different fuel and start it right up and run a tank through. After that I have never had a problem again. Nothing wrong with the traxxas fuel but if you are going to you nothing else but the rotostart you do not want to use that fuel. If you only wanted to use a bump box then the traxxas fuel would be ok.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:21 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sinfony78

take the one way out, clean it with some carb cleaner, then clean the shaft it goes on with some super fine sand paper or steel wool, make sure you clean it off before you put it back together since you dont want any grit or steel wool in the engine and it should work fine, if i does then you need a new one way bearing, it may last for a while but will eventually go bad again.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:36 AM
sinfony78

vnmsqt,
can you put the one way bearing in several different ways? when i take off the backplate, i see a large hex nut shaped piece that the backplate fits over that turns the flywheel (i'm assuming that's the owb)...if i take that piece out, it has a shaft that fits in the hole into the engine...i can't take anything else out unless i use a hex wrench, so there's really only one way to put that thing in...i can't put it in backwards, isn't that correct?
Old 09-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

You have to take out the hex screws to get to the one way bearing. Its an internal one.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:40 PM
vnmsgt

Clermont hobby is right remove the screws and pull the whole thing out to clean it. Yours is a little different than what I thought. On that one you cannot put it in backwards because the owb is pressed inside that backing plate. Just clean like these guys have said and put it back in. On my axial my bearing actually pulls out from on the shaft and I can put it back on backwards. My mistake.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:04 PM
sinfony78

carb cleaner worked and it turns now...thanks guys
so much to learn about these nitro cars...started this up just a week ago and all kinds of things i've had to learn/fix already...kinda annoying cause i just wanna go out bashing already, but kinda fun too
Old 09-24-2007, 08:28 AM
vnmsgt

Thats great. Good luck and have fun. Once you learn a couple of things about how these things work you will enjoy it alot more. Just give it a chance. I know too many people in your shoes who just give up and miss out on having some great fun.