Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano SV ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 02:13 PM
eclipseaudio4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano SV ?'s

I am awaiting my volcano sv and was wonder if i would have to add body windows to the truck for cooling and air intake? if so what would be the best way to do this and where should i place them? Thanks alot Mike
Old 09-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: air

most people cut out the front window for cooling and it also makes it easier to refuel.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 PM
eclipseaudio4

I was also wondering if anyone has tried to make a kind of ram air system like on a car? And how hard it is to put in a two speed trans?
Old 09-28-2007, 04:40 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Actually you can buy ram air systems and they ar not hard to make either. Basically all you need is a piece of rubber or flexible PVC tubbing(hardware store) that will fit the carb throttle body, then wither you can use the filter it comes with at the end of the tube or you can make or find a small air filter holder, like a micro funnel(hardware store), a few zip ties and a lawn mower air filter(hardware store), Flat kind work best, that you can to fit your new ram air filter. Then you place the whole thing at the front of the truck and connect the pipe to the carb. Or you can buy one already made(cost more than getting the small amount of parts from the hardware store though)
Old 09-29-2007, 11:27 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: eclipseaudio4

I was also wondering if anyone has tried to make a kind of ram air system like on a car? And how hard it is to put in a two speed trans?

just get the 2 speed trans and a 2 speed clutch bell, its a direct swap:

http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...ear-Set/Detail

and this if its the buggy:
http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...on-gold/Detail
http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...-pinion/Detail
http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...tchbell/Detail

if its the truck, you would want the hpi 13/18 clutch bell with the needle bearings etc

i see its the truck, stick to the single speed, 2 speeds on trucks just dont cut it like the single speeds.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:28 AM
supersound99ss

^still not ram air but it is a noticeable upgrade in performance
Old 09-29-2007, 11:30 AM
ehroof

i think it would be hard to get ram air in one of these, without clogging the air filter up, you would need something in the front to force (scoop) the air into the filter,
Old 09-29-2007, 01:35 PM
eclipseaudio4

I was wondering where would my money be best spent to upgrade this truck other than the engine to keep from down time due to break downs?
Thanks for the help and guidence guys
Old 09-29-2007, 03:47 PM
ehroof

Default RE: Volcano SV ?'s

run it first and see what you think, keep it a single speed and upgrade the engine in the future.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:15 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Ya deffinatlly run it first and get used to it. That way you will be able to decide what kind of upgrades you want so you buy the appropriate upgrades. Some upgrades like a tuned torque pipe will make you have more bottom end torque (take off power), some upgrades like a high clutch gear will give you more top end speed. It depends on what you want. I personally like dirt flingin, wheel spinin, drive train snappin torque. So I would deffinatlly run it for a while and see what kind of performance you like best.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:16 PM
eclipseaudio4

thanks ehroof! what are my engine upgrade options i would like to get an idea of prices? Also I have heard about using hump packs for the reciver/servo's power what type would i need and how hard is it to setup to use one?(if just putting on a new terminal than no prob)
Old 09-29-2007, 06:32 PM
ehroof

i would say do the engine replacement from redcat and get the sh.18, for the money, you cant go wrong, i have one in my volcano. with the trade in, its like $50. you can get an os .18 cvrx, that too is a direct fit and your looking at $100 or so for that, it has more power than the sh but its a lot more money. here's a video of my volcano with the sh.18 and the redcat upgrade header and a torque pipe: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q7SJMo_reYY

here is a couple of links for you on the engine and header

http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdeta...?partno=02031a
http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdeta...tno=sh18engine
Old 09-29-2007, 06:50 PM
eclipseaudio4

Thanks for the links! wow you have some great redcats! HURRICANE XP,tsunami,LIGHTNING STRX holy cr@p that thing is fast! you volcano wasn't being run at full speed was it??? Anyway thanks again and great redcat's
Old 09-29-2007, 09:25 PM
ehroof

nah, it was in tall grass too, looked taller than it was, much faster on road or on dirt.