Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Tire Glueing

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:30 PM
DamselStruction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Glueing

Hey Everybody,

Well, thanks to ehroof and the other guys who helped me get my car dialed in mixture wise I have managed to go through a set of tires in one and a quarter gallons of fuel!

I guess that sharp revs while I was running the car to lean were helping me burn that rubber!

What kind of glue do you guys use to glue your tires to the rims? I already recieved my new front wheels and the tires fit so well at the bead that I could probably get away with running it without glue unless I get aggressive, but I know they have to be glued. I'm going to start running one set of wheels and soaking, removing and replacing the tires on the other set wile I'm burning through them.

This car is really a blast! You're not kidding about Redcat having a great product! Once you get dialed in and running right, these are very dependable and solid cars and the power to weight ratio seems really excellent too!

Thanks,

Jim
Old 10-07-2007, 11:44 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Default RE: Tire Glueing

You need to glue them or they will go flying all over the place, lol. I personally Use Racers Edge fusion CA. Works great never had a tire come off using it.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Kemo

make sure you scuff up the wheel where the tire bead will rest. That way, it holds better when the CA has cured.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:39 AM
DamselStruction

Hey Guys,

I was just looking around at the different tire glue brands at Tower. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like all of the brands use a formula very similar to "Super Glue". This makes sense considering I've heard that most guys use Acetone to get old tires off if they want to keep their old rims.

Being that I can get "Super Glue" tomorrow at the supermarket instead of waiting till tire glue arrives or making a trip to the LHS, I would naturally like to use it if I can. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 10-08-2007, 08:52 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

That's true, it's basically super glue in a nut shell. Super glue works just fine, the only thing I've noticed different about the super glue is that it eventually stresses and cracks and the tire starts coming off the rim. It seems to me that the big difference is that the tire glue, although it's very very simlair to super glue, actually seems to bond the rubber and plastic to a certain point.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:22 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DamselStruction

Hey Guys,

I was just looking around at the different tire glue brands at Tower. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like all of the brands use a formula very similar to "Super Glue". This makes sense considering I've heard that most guys use Acetone to get old tires off if they want to keep their old rims.

Being that I can get "Super Glue" tomorrow at the supermarket instead of waiting till tire glue arrives or making a trip to the LHS, I would naturally like to use it if I can. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Jim

all CA glues are basically the same, but there are differences in thickness, i use the medium to put my tires on, you can use super glue if your in a pinch and dont have a hobby store around, it should work fine, its just thinner.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:54 PM
twomanytoys

The only thing about super glue is that it is not flexable. CA glue is flexable. The super glue will crack.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Kemo

super glue is CA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_glue has the description.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:56 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Ya, even the thick super glue cracks. I would suggest using CA glues ya get a better longer bond.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:29 PM
twomanytoys

Yes super glue is ca but in the rc world its known as CA glue not super glue. RC grade CA glue is flexable. Home use super glue is not.