Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

monsoon truggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:31 PM
dayglo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default monsoon truggy

i bought one of these truggies 4 300 bucks on line. WOW what a deal. i've been reading about people who have bought them and this and that have broke and there mad. i can understand there flustration, but hay, it's a ready to run. just think how mad they would be if they bought one of those big name truggies for almost double and the same things happen. the first thing i did when i got mine was to tear it almost totaly apart. changed the diff fuild, actully took out all the small shims because they were binding too much when i put them together. changed the shock fluid to a thicker blend. LOCKTIGHT all of it. also switched the steering servo that cam with it 2 the throtal and put a good one in that i had for steering. i put a surefire 32 on. changed the clutch bell to a normall one. took a old ofna engine mount, the ones that r two seperat peices, so i could move the engine all the way forward so the clutch bell meets the center diff. i had 2 grind some of the chase and motor mount plates wider to get the engine over far enough to line the bell up straight. i also ordered new arms for the front. the set up now is just 2 flimbsy and has 2 much play in it. putting the set up like the team vtx on. i've been running this truck for alittle bit now and i have 2 say it was a steal at 300 bucks. most of the boys thought it was a kyosheo. i think better but a lot cheaper.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:46 PM
twomanytoys

Default RE: monsoon truggy

I would say the monsoon is one of the better trucks in redcats line up. I think the reason the a arms are so flimsy is because they dont break easily. If the arms were hard plastic they would snap. The arms bend pretty far and I guess that can be good for bashing but not so good for racing. Like you said you cant beat the price for what you get. Just some minor tweaking like you did can make for a very capable and reliable truck. Lets see some pics!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:49 PM
dayglo

no i don't mean the arms them self are flimsy, but rather the whole set up, the king pin type set up, i don't like. it lets the whole front end shake and move.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:51 PM
rclynx

Shim it up and align it[&o]there are lots of ways to take care of little problems like that[8D]
Old 10-08-2007, 09:55 PM
dayglo

yeah i know about shimming but it seems like to much play to shim. do u run a 24-7 engine? mine always ran hot,270. did yours if you ran 1?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:57 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

That's good to hear. I like the way you went to town on that thing and set it up dress right dress, lol right off the bat. Ya like twomanytoys said ya need to get some pics posted I for one would like to see that.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:00 PM
dayglo

first i spend 300 for the truggy now i have 2 spend more loot 2 get a camera???????????? great
Old 10-08-2007, 10:06 PM
twomanytoys

Hey if you cant afford the hobby then do something less expensive. I hear knitting is cheap. Just kidding! Your not the only one without a camera I think! Heck I dont even know how to post video. Anyway have fun with the truck.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:17 AM
rclynx

yeah i know about shimming but it seems like to much play to shim. do u run a 24-7 engine? mine always ran hot,270. did yours if you ran 1?
270 is not all that bad for a max temp on a big block...........they always run a bit hotter than the small block (to much metal) I run and break in a lot of the 247 engines and its a great one for an engine over 2 horse.

As for the loose front end you might be mistaking out of round tires or alignment for the problem..........I personally want everything as loose as it can get on the front end if it is ST or 4x4 because you can get a lot more steering out of it that way.........just have to find the good spot for over and under steering and a lot of that depends on how you drive. Now I should tell you I have cheap camera's for sale.................LOL[&:]Keep tinkering dayglo you will get it / good luck
Old 10-09-2007, 09:55 AM
twomanytoys

I can vouch for the tires being out of round and unbalanced. My sons Tsunami shakes like crazy at certain rpm's. Once I put new tires on it went away. The stock tires are very soft adn the tire foams are cheap. They foams will fall apart in just a few tanks.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:31 AM
cen123

I am thinking about getting one of these trucks. I built a track and the ground clearance for the car must be about 2 inches. Does this sound right?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:47 AM
vnmsgt

I think thats about right. It sits almost like any other truggy and you can adjust the ride height anyways by using the holes in the shock mounts and arms and also the spacers for the shocks. I can make sit low as hell or high like a monster truck.