Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Anyone know if I can fix the one way bearing in my 1/10 buggy by cleaning it out???

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Anyone know if I can fix the one way bearing in my 1/10 buggy by cleaning it out???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 03:38 PM
DamselStruction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know if I can fix the one way bearing in my 1/10 buggy by cleaning it out???

Hello Guys,

Yesterday I recieved a whole big lot of parts to install on my Tornado Buggy. I was running a few more tanks through it before taking the suspension apart to install the last of the ball bearings when all of a sudden I thought I stripped the spur gear because the thing just started reving and going nowhere.

Turns out the one way in the gearbox is slipping. I took it out and there IS a lot of crud in it as I've run almost 4 gallons of fuel so far and never cleaned this bearing before ( I should mention that I've had the same 47 tooth spur in my gearbox with NO problems since gitting the car... So I know the composite gears aren't crap, like some people are trying to say. )

Yesterday I tried clearing the bearing out with some WD40 as I've heard about people doing when their pull start one way slips. It seemed to work and gripped the shaft really well yesterday so I re assembled the car but now today it began to slip almost immediately when I went to drive the car.

I have a new bearing on the way already from Clermont, but want to drive it today and I was thinking of removing the bearing and boiling it briefly to REALLy clear it out.

Do you think this might work? It's only got to work for a day or two to make me happy!

Thanks,

Jim
Old 10-25-2007, 03:46 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anyone know if I can fix the one way bearing in my 1/10 buggy by cleaning it out???

clean with carb or brake cleaner, wd has oil can can make it slip, also sand the shaft where is sits a little.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:19 PM
DamselStruction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone know if I can fix the one way bearing in my 1/10 buggy by cleaning it out???

Thanks Ehroof,

That's good advice and the bearing came out so clean I'm sure I could have gotten a couple more days out of it but I blew it by losing one of the little rollers while is was pressing the bearing back into the spur gear!!!

Drat! Now I have to wait for my order to arrive from Clermont.

Thanks for the method though,

Jim
Old 10-25-2007, 06:45 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

np bro, whenever a one way starts to slip, give it a shot of carb or brake cleaner and scuff up the shaft it sits on and usually it will work like new again.