Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Interesting Gear Box Mod To Save Day's Worth Of Fun!!!

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Interesting Gear Box Mod To Save Day's Worth Of Fun!!!

Old 11-01-2007, 04:42 AM
DamselStruction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Gear Box Mod To Save Day's Worth Of Fun!!!

Hey Guys,

I have had the same 47 tooth spur gear in my 1/10 buggy since I got the thing on Sept 1st, 4 and 1/2 gallons and many running hours ago. I was feeling pretty good about that and the gear was showing VERY little wear so I thought maybe it would be a 6 month part. I have gone through 2 of the 42's but not because they stripped, those failed because the shift lever perches got punched off a couple of them. (Don't believe anyone who tries to get you to think your Taiwan Engine is no good... That's just bull****!)

But alas,... the end came today when suddenly the gearbox was jarred loose as the car shifted into second and both gears completely stripped within seconds of course! I accidentally over tightened one of the screws on the engine side of the gear box a while ago and it's been getting a little worse each time I've had to mess with it. If our engines cranked the other way it probably wouldn't be a big deal. I like the way the housing has the protruding buttons on the bottom in addition to the self aligning screws to keep everything in tolerence, but since our engines apply pressure to the gear box in the way that they do any weakness in the bond of the screws causes catastrophic failure! The moment to gear box moves it's all over...

So I have one on the way from Claremont, but who the hell want's to wait for parts? Instead of waiting, I just drilled the holes on the engine side of the gearbox 1/2" deeper with a 5/64 bit. The threads on one of them hold well, so I put the stock screw back in, but the one where the threads failed got replaced with one of the tapping screws from the top of the gearbox. I just had to cut the screw about 1/8 shorter. Needless to say that gearbox ain't going anywhere now! I just made sure to leave the 1 long tapping screw I had left for the top of the gearbox in the side where the brake cam is. The box is anchored in several perimeter places, so I don't expect to have any problems with that missing screw before my Claremont order arrives, but I'll let you know if my scheme backfires!

These are quality cars. When you are working with a good quality product it makes it a lot easier to engineer solutions to the problems that do reveal themselves eventually. I'm so happy to have these buggies around instead of the 1/10 scale Kyosho "Assault" I had many years ago... That thing sucked and was a good demonstration of flawed engineering... Sheesh!

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-01-2007, 02:33 PM
DamselStruction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Interesting Gear Box Mod To Save Day's Worth Of Fun!!!

Hey Guys,

Well, that's 2 tankfulls running wide open. Works great so far!

Jim