Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Having troubles getting my hurricane XP to start

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Having troubles getting my hurricane XP to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Shurikn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having troubles getting my hurricane XP to start

Hi everyone,

I just received my first nitro car yesterday, I wanted one of these since I was 8 and now I got it so I'm all exited. I bought all the stuff I needed this morning and got started.

I have a few problems though.

1st I think my glow starter is having a problem. I left it on the charge for the whole night but it doesnt seems to last much. After a few starts it didnt have enough power to light the plugs. How long does these things are supposed to last before running out of power?

2nd. When the starter actually works I can get the car to start without much problems. it will run perfectly until I start thinking about touching the gas, when I do that it will lock right away. When the motor lock the pull cord seems to take a hit or something. also when the motor is running idle it trow a lot of liquid out of the muffler.. the place where I let it run get splashed with it in no time. I was going to try to lean it but the glow starter died on me again.

I didnt think that having a too rich mix would stop the motor like that. I mean I cant get the wheels to spin at all.

Last time I tryed I forgot to turn my gun and receivers on. This time the wheels were spinning a little, when I tryed to pinch the gas tube to stop the motor the car went crazy and accelerated a lot.. good thing I was holding it in my hands. I'd like to know why I can get the car to roll when the commands are turned off but I cant when they are turned on.

I hope this make some sense. I happen to not make a lot of sense when Im tired

Old 11-07-2007, 06:40 PM
wolverine330

Default RE: Having troubles getting my hurricane XP to start

Perfect Sense. I had the same probs.., still kinda am... First of all buy a new glo-plug ignitor the ones that come with the starter kit are junk, mine did the same thing. Their only about $12. Second Your low end needle needs to prolly be leaned a little bit, I'm figuring this out now, after everyone else is having the same probs. as i am. Your flooding your engine, and thats also why the pull cord is pulling really hard after it dies. Don't force pulling the cord, you need to take your glo-plug out and pull the cord a few times to get all the excess fuel from inside of the head. There is too much fuel in the engine, and that makes your pull cord pull really tough. You should be good to go if you lean that low end needle out. Leave the high needle alone, leave it at about 3 turns out if not 3 1/2. I have found out from the factory that the low end needle also comes set at about 3 turns out. I would prolly go in about a 1/4 to a 1/2 a turn. See where that set up gets ya.

When you pinch your fuel line that your cutting all the fuel, and that changes your air to fuel ratio. When the fuel starts running out, it allows in more air, in return starts to rev the engine at a higher rpm. You'll also notice the engine will do that, right before it runs out of fuel. Running them out of fuel, will also make them over-heat due to the rpms. I'm not really sure what your talking about when you say "commands"....

Wolv.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Shurikn

I was refering to the radio control

I got it to work by taking off the green plastic tube on the air filter. Now it run smooth and I can get started on my break in procedure
Old 11-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

pinching your fuel line right before the carb is how you get an idea on how your low end is tuned. If you pinch it and it idles for 2-3 secs with a slight increase in rpms its about right. If you pinch it and it screams its too lean, and if it runs and runs its too rich.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:12 PM
vnmsgt

If he is just starting it for the first time and going to break it in then I have never touched my low speed screw. It is always the hight speed the is adjusted to lean it out some to get it running, especially if fuel is coming out of the exhaust. I would turn in the high speed screw about a 1/8th turn in at a time and leave the low speed until you get it running some and broken in. That is just from my experience breaking in cars.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:47 PM
wolverine330

You know I'm currently actually having the same problem as he is, getting mine broken in. I really hate to lean out that high end too much....Seems like a much better idea to cut the low end as clermont said. I've contacted SH and the low end and high end are both set at 3 turn out from close, straight from the factory. That honestly is about where I want my high end to be if not a little more on break in. But with the puddle of fuel mine was creating from the exhaust, and the amount that would come from the head when the glo-plug was removed, I would think the low end would be a much better choice. Im going to try it again this weekend. I'm also having a little bit of problem with the temperatures getting in the 50's and low 60's.

Wolv.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Chubbysdad

just screw in the low end a bit. It will help raise the idle also. We always turn the low end in a bit when first starting.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Shurikn

The main problem I have now while doing the break in is that its very cold out there so the car trows a lot of smoke no matter what I'll do because its hot air coming out and it's about 0'c out there. Also the temp of the motor doesnt go as high as we could expect it for the same reason. The temp goes up to 180 max.

So I end up having to figure it by testing, I started very rich and learn it 1/16 at the time. At first the car could barely move. I leaned and it started to run a little faster (not going higher than 1/2 trottle on 2nd tank now). I leaned it again and then bam, speed was getting better..

I think I found the sweet spot now on the high speed needle. The car is running smooth. I'll have to do more testing on next tank. I'll go 3/4 throttle on this one so it should give me a better idea of the high speed setting.

Tuning it is what makes it interesting. I just scares the **** out of me when I do it because I dont want to screw up
Old 11-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Chubbysdad

well it seems that you are getting the hang of it.. Thats a good start.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Shurikn

Yeah I'm starting to figure it out.. great time so far.

I also figured I'll need a bigger place to run the car. I had a crash because the parking that looked really large at low speed now looks very small when I start to go faster.

Oh well waiting on some pieces now