Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

New Car Jitters!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 11:38 PM
bash_N_corn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Jitters!!

First off, I would like tell you I am wanting to buy my first nitro rc car, which will also be my first rc car. I have the no rc knowledge. But, I am a mechanic and understand alot of the things dicussed in these forums. I am writing this because I have a few questions for you great rc minds out there! xD FYI: I intend to use this car for tearing up my lawn and drive and not for serious racing.......yet!8)

1. I have been eyeing the redcat tornado pro... Is this a good car??..For a newb like me?? Or would I be better off spending less money on the shockwave or BB and doing my own upgrades? My starting budget is 200 - 275, all suggestions welcome!!

2. I have found the rc-tradingpost.com to be the cheapest on the web for what appears to be most of the decent rc cars. Is this a good place to buy from?

Again, ty for any input you can give me!
Old 11-12-2007, 12:39 AM
bluecaka69

Default RE: New Car Jitters!!

I personally would not by the pro aluminum costs way more to replace than plastic parts
look around a little more there is other places that are cheaper than that
also I would spend a little more and get the 8th scale hurricane its ten times the buggy of the tornado
Old 11-12-2007, 10:10 AM
rc_crazy21

The tornado is a great starter vehicle, they are easy to operate as well. This is one if my personal favorites for the 1/10 scale models. As far as aluminum goes, it looks nice but can be costly to fix. One positive note on the aluminum is you can re-bend parts if any of them get bent. It will be a little heavier than the regular BB. You can also checkout http://www.tricountyracing.com/tornado.htm for great pricing.

The hurricane is a big step up and can be well worth it because of durability and power ratio. But if you have a budget and pan on sticking to it, then the tornado i feel is a good buy.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:50 AM
rclynx

Sounds like your at a spot between a rock and a hard place.........if your talking mostly a limited space then get the Tornado Pro.......it is more durable but when you do break something its a lot more money for parts and plan on a better engine from the get go. You just need to know that curbs, auto tires, house footing and fences are not things to bump into........lol. Now like if you have a very big front yard and a large driveway and having a mechanic back ground your going to like what a mechanic likes ~POWER~ = Hurricane, and its much more durable than any of the 1/10's, actually all the 1/8 are stronger than the 1/10's plus the engine is a very strong engine, no trades needed there. All in all what ever you buy if your going to run its going to be expensive. The average price for fuel is close to $30 a gallon and what ever it is in most cases its a high maintenance item. Good luck on your purchase and what ever you get just make it fun because hobbies are what its all about.....fun that is
Old 11-12-2007, 12:00 PM
wolverine330

I have the Tornado BB and the Hurricane. Spend the extra $100.00 and buy the hurricane. You will be much happier. The 1/10's just don't have the clearance. Also if your running around in your lawn, they don't really like the taller grass. The hurricane will help you mow your lawn.

Wolv.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:14 PM
twomanytoys

Just get the monsoon!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:23 PM
bluecaka69

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

Just get the monsoon!
monsoon is way out of budget thats why i said hurricane but the monsoon is BAD ARSE
Old 11-12-2007, 03:03 PM
twomanytoys

Yah but he said 275 ont eh high side. Just save a few more bucks and wait for a monsoon. I figure you should not settle just because of cash. Be patient, save some more money and get what you really want.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:32 PM
bluecaka69

true if you can do that great but if hes like me ill get extra money and it never seems to last as long as it was suppose to there always something you can buy even though you dont need it
Old 11-12-2007, 06:05 PM
pede_187

Didn't he say this is his first rc? A 1/8 or even 1/10 would be too much for him. I'd start with electric.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:14 PM
bluecaka69

I dont think so that gotta be the wildest thing Ive ever heard when I first started I had nothing but nitro on my mind and over all it costs alot more to keep an electric running that it does a nitro
Old 11-12-2007, 06:15 PM
twomanytoys

You have to learn nitro at somepoint and electric wont get him familiar. Yes a monsoon would be too much. I would say volcano.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:50 PM
rclynx

First off, I would like tell you I am wanting to buy my first nitro rc car, which will also be my first rc car. I have the no rc knowledge. But, I am a mechanic and understand alot of the things dicussed in these forums. I am writing this because I have a few questions for you great rc minds out there! xD FYI: I intend to use this car for tearing up my lawn and drive and not for serious racing.......yet!8)
Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 PM
bluecaka69

ORIGINAL: rclynx

im lost
Old 11-12-2007, 07:39 PM
pede_187

I ment it might be too fast.

I started out with an XL1 Stampede. Then I got a Cen CT5. I am now planning on getting a volcano (I don't reccomend making a big jump like I did from pede to ct5).
Old 11-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

I'd start with nitro and end with nitro lol.. My son is 6 and he learned on a nitro. Yes he makes mistakes but he can hit my triple which is 32 foot. Its using the earthquake though.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:43 PM
hrdcoreglf

The Hurricane is a good entry level buggy. I bought the pro version and didn't have any problems. Although I do have nitro experience. Been racing Schumacher Fusion for around four years. This made a big difference. When you go from on road doing 80mph plus to doing 40-50mph feels like your in slow motion for the first few weeks. But if you love to fly with four wheels 1/8 scale buggies your drug of choice. They are as at home in the air as they are on the ground. Welcome to the hobby hope you have fun.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:07 PM
pede_187

I would like to warn you (not really warn) that this is the most addictive hobby there is
Old 11-13-2007, 10:41 PM
hrdcoreglf

Warn me, I have 2 Ofna Ravagers decked out. One hurricane pro decked out And I am currently building my christmas present X1CR and yes you guessed it... decked out. Believe me its in my viens. And not even 1 year into offroad nitro. In my own opinion much more addictive than 1/10 scale on road. Wish I had started here 7 years ago!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:36 PM
bash_N_corn

Well I do REALLY want the hurricane but others have warned me about having trouble getting redcat parts. They pretty much said I should stay away from redcat for that reason. Is this true or not?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:41 PM
wolverine330

NOT TRUE...I get parts from Clermont hobbies and direct from Redcat in just a couple of days..Believe me I break something everytime I play around. I've learned to just have a surplus of stuff. I've had not troubles getting parts.

Wolv.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:47 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree 100%. i get my parts from clermont in 3 days max. 9 times out of 10 if i need something for my other brands and go to the hobby shop, they have to order it and it takes a week.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:54 PM
{GBI}Harryball

ORIGINAL: bash_N_corn

1. I have been eyeing the redcat tornado pro... Is this a good car??..For a newb like me?? Or would I be better off spending less money on the shockwave or BB and doing my own upgrades? My starting budget is 200 - 275, all suggestions welcome!!

2. I have found the rc-tradingpost.com to be the cheapest on the web for what appears to be most of the decent rc cars. Is this a good place to buy from?

Again, ty for any input you can give me!
I have ordered from rc-trading post, the shipping is very slow. I buy everything from allabouthobbies.com. I would by the monsoon if i were you. Best bang for the buck and a hell of a truggy. Its a little bit more than you stated you want to spend, but its well worth the money.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

I would have to agree with others. Save up and go for the 1/8 th scale models. They are durable, and yes plenty of places have parts. Just order a few of the most common parts, then if and when you crash, you wont have to wait
Old 11-14-2007, 07:30 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: bash_N_corn

Well I do REALLY want the hurricane but others have warned me about having trouble getting redcat parts. They pretty much said I should stay away from redcat for that reason. Is this true or not?
I have a easier time getting parts for my Redcat monsoon then my Mantis or 8ight. People think just because there LHS does not carry Redcat it will be hell trying to get parts but not true. Clermont hobby can get whatever parts you need and I get mine from him just like most everyone else here. None of us here would tell you this just so you can buy a redcat and then get stuck on parts. Notice alot of us own more than one redcat. If they were as bad as people say we would not own more than one and sell the one we have which we do not do and we end up buying more redcats. That says something right there. Get the monsoon. Its worth the little bit extra.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.