Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Son wants new truck.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:14 PM
twomanytoys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Son wants new truck.

My brother inlaw just bought his son a monster gt on ebay for a real good price. He brought it to my house to take a look at it because he has no clue about nitro. My son saw it and you could see it in his eyes that he wanted one. He really likes the look of the avalanche and I know everyone that has one here loves it. How would it stack up against the MGT in performance adn durability. I know I can drop the MGT from about 4-5 ft up and it wont bottom out yet the suspension is still soft. I also know the MGT is one of the toughest monster trucks that you can get but he does not want what his cousin has but he also does not want to get spanked all the time. The MGT is wheelies on demand even while moving and with the 2 speed trans it moves pretty good. I have yet to see an avalanche wheelie (ehroof[&o]) and have no idea what top speed is. The mgt is about high 30 to low 40mph. My st1 with a speedwerks v2 smokes it though. What is everyones opinions.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:28 PM
vnmsgt

Default RE: Son wants new truck.

There was a MGT at clermont hobbies track last weekend and it was cool looking and looked very well made. As far as bashing and going over rough or tall stuff at a slower speed I think it would be better than the avalanche but not by much. Yes it was tall and took even the largest jump at the track with ease and looked like it never bottomed out but it was top heavy but not anywhere top heavy like a t-maxx or a savage and did not flip over as easy but if both of you are going out to fields and stuff to mess around and maybe a track for some fun the avalanche will run circles around it (I do not mean top speed in a straight line for a long distance) It may be close but did not see it run at full speed. It has a way lower center of gravity than the MGT therefore it can corner harder and sharper and I think get up to speed faster due to the lack of body roll compared to the MGT. Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:41 PM
rclynx

MMT = no wheelies, weight and power[&o]
Old 12-01-2007, 08:23 PM
twomanytoys

MMT?
Old 12-01-2007, 08:27 PM
vnmsgt

Why don't you get him ST-1 and smoke that other kid no matter what you do. They are cheap at amain and one of the toughest trucks out there LOL!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:30 PM
twomanytoys

Nah. I dont need any competition from my son. Besides he likes to do wheelies. But yes you are right!
Old 12-01-2007, 09:21 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

I think he would happy with the Avalanche. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the giant wheels, I don't personally think they look right, I think they look kind of wiered, but that's just me. I think if you got him an avalanche he would love it till it didn't run anymore [sm=wink_smile.gif] if you know what i mean.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:23 PM
vnmsgt

What do you mean? That it will not last?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:29 PM
twomanytoys

I know what you mean. Like he would run the crap out of it because he would like it so much.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:32 PM
vnmsgt

I think it should last ok. I run the crap out of my monsoon everyweek, about 10 full tanks a week through my motor and it keeps going strong.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:08 AM
rican25

vnmsgt..... Id like to see that MGT against my 4.6 Savage X with someone that could drive behind the wheel!!! I stayed for a bit to see that thing go off the big jump but he didnt hit it once while I was there. Kinda looking forward to seeing something other than the RTF truggys go off that thing!!! I swear if those things had wings theyd land somewhere outside the track!!! my buddy just swapped out shocks on his 4.1 so hopefully he can come tomorrow and if its a noticable difference than I will go with those shocks too. I know I will never get the Savage to handle as well as a truggy but there has to be some things I can do to greatly improve its stock handling. any ideas? see ya tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:04 AM
nantucket

ORIGINAL: rican25

vnmsgt..... Id like to see that MGT against my 4.6 Savage X with someone that could drive behind the wheel!!! I stayed for a bit to see that thing go off the big jump but he didnt hit it once while I was there. Kinda looking forward to seeing something other than the RTF truggys go off that thing!!! I swear if those things had wings theyd land somewhere outside the track!!! my buddy just swapped out shocks on his 4.1 so hopefully he can come tomorrow and if its a noticable difference than I will go with those shocks too. I know I will never get the Savage to handle as well as a truggy but there has to be some things I can do to greatly improve its stock handling. any ideas? see ya tomorrow.
Offset wheels and extended chassis plates (maybe triple rate springs too) will work wonders for the Savage handling. I have 3/4" offset Maximizer beadlocks and the triple rate springs on mine and that alone made a huge difference.

You can also use zip ties to level the arms on the suspension and lower the stance a bit. I hear that helps a lot, but I have never tried it because I like the ground clearence for bashing. I'll try to find a link for you.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:09 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the avalanche, the big tires are what makes the trucks, its an awesome looking truck. its handles great and has a wide stance to it so its very stable, i could not say enough about this truck!!!! Its bigger and will bash better than the mmt.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:21 PM
rclynx

To bad you live so far away[>:].....................lol..................How about we meet in Texas for a show down[:-]................RC's at 30 paces
Old 12-02-2007, 02:27 PM
ehroof

i meant the associated mgt, i havent seen the mmt up close. rc's a 30 paces would be alot of fun!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 03:43 PM
rclynx

That MMT is a boehemoth thing.......lol.........at the other Hobby shop they have tug a wars and the HPI savages ruled till the MMT one of my customers bought and took up there.....HeHeHe.......Darn thing weighs 15 lbs[sm=punching.gif] If sales pick up some more I've got to get a few of the new Redcats...........they look great and the way you guys are talking they should be another good seller. I like Redcat thats for sure. Just sold my 2 last earthquakes friday night. Next MMT I break in I'll get some vidio on it if the guy isn't in to much of a hurry. I'm looking forward to getting the monsoon and the avalanche in stock, always nice to get new models
Old 12-02-2007, 03:48 PM
ehroof

yeah, new stuff is always good and fun, snowing and rain here today
Old 12-02-2007, 03:55 PM
twomanytoys

How is the earthquake compare to the avalanche.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:16 PM
ehroof

its smaller but a good truck. tires and chassis are smaller, its not as wide
Old 12-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

it also has a slipper clutch.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:25 PM
rclynx

Yea thats probably the only problem that there was with the Earthquake was the foot print is to small but its a hell of a digger
Old 12-02-2007, 07:34 PM
twomanytoys

I would think ti is faster than teh avalanche because of its smaller size and smaller tires. Why did they stop making them?
Old 12-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

I am not to sure. I was talking to Nick from redcat about it up in Chicago and he just said that is what Darin decided.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:36 PM
ehroof

the avalanche is just the upgraded version of it, center diff, wider stance, longer chassis, bigger tires.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:39 PM
rclynx

Has it got the same kahoonas ehroof?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.