Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Local Hobby Store experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:41 PM
coostv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Local Hobby Store experience

Well, I stopped by the local hobby store to peruse their inventory. This is a newer store in the area probably less than two years old. I was impressed with the variety (CEN, LOSI, AE, Traxxas, Tamiya, Kyosho, etc), less impressed with the attitude of the owner. He asked what I had for a vehicle and I told him I just got a Redcat "Oh, I'm sorry" was his reply and then he continued with whatever it was he was doing before he stopped to "help" me. One of the reasons I was there to see what kind of RTR's he had that I could possibly hook my son up with. No sale!

So, I got online and picked up a Tamiya 1/16 Hornet off ebay. I saved big on this one compared to a retail store, but I would have paid a bit more to keep it local. I was looking for a very simple car for him for his first one. This fits the bill perfectly, parts are plentiful at the store near his mothers house plus It gives me an excuse to get a 1/16 electric car to mess with in the future!

Is this the typical response when you do not own a Losi, AE, Traxxas, or some other *premium* brand? Sheesh, if I owned the store I would be more than glad to help anyone who walked through my doors. I thought establishing a relationship with customers was part of Business 101! He must have got a D in that class.

Sad thing is if I were to decide to get a more mainstream buggy or truck in the future I may not return to his store because of this. His car prices were in line with pretty much I have looked at online. Parts were priced a bit higher, but once you factor in shipping they were not too bad, plus as I stated before it keeps the cash local. Michigan needs all the help we can get.

Am I over-reacting?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:50 PM
twomanytoys

Default RE: Local Hobby Store experience

Lots of hobby shops are like that. Close minded.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:52 PM
cdextreme

Same kind of attitude I recieved when I told them I had a Himoto. "oh an internet car, Good luck finding anything compatible." yet at another lhs they said bring it in and we could see what will fit.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Gru15

Actually I got the same type of response that cdextreme did the second time around. I told him I was looking for a better steering servo for a 1/10th scale RedcatRacing Volcano SV, He was like oh a Redcat. Then went on to tell me how he loves his Avalanche, and how that store should start stocking Redcat products, He ended up giving me a great servo 'all metal gears high torqure' JR Racing servo, Which after running 3 tanks of fuel is great. I was completely expecting the the "Oh an Internet Car" response.

I was Impressed
Old 12-10-2007, 12:46 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

I'm sorry to hear to that. Most stores are like that no matter what brand it is. If you didn't buy it from them they treat you like crap. There are very few that will help you any enthusiasum if unless you bought your vehicle from them. It's a sad state of the hobby industry and the Store owners wonder why every one is going to the internet to make there purchases. I got spit on almost by every single store in the metro plex because I went in to buy small ticket parts for cars I bought on Ebay or got at a pawn shop. One dude even went so far as to yawn at me and tell me he can;t help me even though I had over a hundred bucks in parts, I threw them on the flor in the middle of store told him to get F--cked and I would tell everyone I met that the store sucked and now I see about 1200 or more people a day on the weekends and people during the week and either never tell them about the store or if they ask how they treat you I tell them exactally how they treat you. Don't let them get over on you and treat you like crap, it's not right.

It's the main reason we got into the hobby industry in the first place. My phylosphy is. "Help the customer to the best of your ability no matter what brand it is or where they bought it from, even if it means giving away a small part for them to try it out and see if it works or fits. The customer is number one and they are the king so they should be treated like the king no matter what it is they need from a single screw up to an entire car."

Old 12-10-2007, 01:23 PM
smoothoperator
My Feedback: (1)

Yup, sounds familiar...

I just got my Hurricane XP figured I'd drop into the LHS to get some fuel, C clips, glow plugs, and some other odds and ends. I had about 75 bucks worth of stuff on the counter.

I started talking to the clerk at the counter. An older man who I could tell had an attitude towards me the moment I walked in there. He watched me walk through the store and pick things up.

By the time I had finished shopping I went to the counter and started a conversation. here is how it went:

Me: Hello

Clerk: how are you?

Me: good thanks, I was wondering if you could help me with something?

Clerk: ok What do you need?

Me: Well I just picked up a Redcat Racing 1/8th buggy and was wondering if I could bring it in to size up some C clips...

Clerk: Oh, a redcat... Good luck finding anything in here that will work for you. Your better off selling it and buying something name brand.

Me: Well, I did a lot of reading and have found that the Kyosho MP7.5 parts are very similar and quite a few will bolt right on.

He looks right at me and says: Well, we don't carry any Kyosho products either.

I asked him if I could bring it in again so he could take a look and maybe give me some advice on what to look out for.

He said: there is nothing I can help you with on that buggy.

I promptly picked up everything I had placed on the counter and start to put things back. As I set the gallon of fuel down I said. Thats cool, I'll just get my stuff online then.

He quickly changed his mood and told me to bring it in...

As I laughed my way to the car to get my buggy I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

walked in with buggy in hand plopped it on the counter and started talking about it.

I asked if SH made a decent engine... He told me it's a no name brand he has never heard of. I just left that alone.......

I said I thought it was built very strong... By this point he was just nodding and smiling after being smacked down for being an *****...

I checked the size on the C clips got the right ones Bought my stuff and out the door I went.

I cant wait to go in there next time. This is the only Hobby shop in my area, this guy wont get rid of me that easy...

--------{Insert menacing laugh here}---------
Old 12-10-2007, 01:42 PM
{GBI}Harryball

I think we all have had this happen. You tell the guy behind the counter you have a redcat and they laugh and turn away from you. However, when you meet them at your local track and beet them down, then its a different song, what did you say that was, where did you get it, and so on. Here in lansing believe it or not I have won over the guys at my LHS, we only have the one, so i thought it important to make friends. Dont give up on them, just challenge them, and win. LOL.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:01 PM
smoothoperator

+1 Totally agree..

I told him I'd be back to get more stuff.... You cant rule them out just because they're pissed because you have to buy all your OEM parts online. There is still all sorts of stuff in that store I would love to buy. they need to know that a bad first experience in the LHS could also be the last.

He will see the way of the Redcat one day. But now it seems he is a Team Losi/OFNA kind of salesman.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 PM
coostv

He was fiddling with a Losi truck when I walked in... He seemed polite to the other customers. I just get put off by people when they take an attitude just because I did not spend $400 at their store to buy a car that I may not mess with much. In my very first post to this board I stated that I had been away from it for the last 10 years, I surely did not want to drop a bunch of cash on a toy that I may play with once or twice a month. On the other hand if I get back into it I may very well have 4 or more cars around like I did before! Not like some you nuts, I have seen your profiles! Or, on the other hand just like you, the cars I tend to gather are much bigger though.

I have always been an AE fan. I have had countless cars made by Associated. My last group consisted of a RC10-T and a RC10 along with a couple of Tamiyas which I sold 10 years ago when I married my new wife (well actually traded for parts for my 351w powered T-Bird Turbo Coupe). The guy I traded them to still has them and I was thinking the other day I should get them back. I would be willing to bet they are in the same shape I left them in.

I am basically saying that if I decide to get into an RC10GT or a Traxxas or even a Losi, I may just get it online from California, Florida, Colorado, or who knows where. When instead I could be picking it up on my way home from work. Let this be a lesson to retailers, you never know what the idiot on the other side of the counter may have rumbling around his head while wandering the store.

Will I go back to his store? Most likely, I would be stupid to drive 45 minutes out of my way for stuff I need. Will I like it, not so much.

Chris
Old 12-12-2007, 10:26 PM
bash_N_corn

I have 3 LHS within 25 miles of my house, all I have to say is I have had it both ways. The thing you have to consider is if the owner/clerk is into the hobby, or into the hobby store. That should determine where you shop end of story. The only shop I do frequent is a smaller store in a near by town. The reason is because the owner wants to help you because hes into rc's too. The large LHS that is closest to me, well lets just say my experience is like many of the ones I've already read.[]
Old 12-13-2007, 12:01 PM
jayfl234

I have recieved the same treatment from my local hobby shops. I own Redcat Volcano EPX and the just frown upon people who dont have the name brand cars or buy from them. The local hobby store here in st.louis only sells traxxes. I guess that is the way some of these hobby shops are.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:03 PM
hrdcoreglf

It is not just redcat the store owners hate. IT is the fact that the original purchase was not made in their store. I own several buggies of different name brands and have got the same cold shoulder. I am building an Ofna X1 CR for myself as a x-mas present and the LHS I always go to still gives me the cold shoulder because I only go there when I need something immediately, I usually order online. Most LHS have to order your parts for name brands from Great Planes Hobbies or Horizon hobbies anyway. So you still end up waiting anyway. When they ask if they can help me I usually say no and find what I need on my own. In this hobby you have to have a dremel and be able to improvise.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:57 PM
cooper1

Iam a hobby shop owner i have to say that if you brought any car no matter what make or model i would help you out the best i could and that means wether you bought from my store or not.The problem is that most red cat products are bought on line becuase most hobby shops will not cary low grade rc products.Medium grade maybe like Duratrax. My opinion is they probibly should keep the junk off the market becuase there just turning off pepole from the hobby.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:12 PM
eclipseaudio4

another person who needs to buy one and see how they really are!
Old 12-13-2007, 06:23 PM
jayfl234

Exactly. Just makes my point even more clear.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:19 PM
hummerman

ORIGINAL: cdextreme

Same kind of attitude I recieved when I told them I had a Himoto. "oh an internet car, Good luck finding anything compatible." yet at another lhs they said bring it in and we could see what will fit.

Got the exact same responce from my local hobby shop.
Told me to get my parts online!!!
now my modded truck is much better and stronger than anything he had forsale.....!!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 07:26 PM
coostv

Cooper1 are you saying the Redcat is junk? What do you base this opinion on? Have you owned one? I am not ripping on you. I would just like to know your experience with a Redcat.

Keep the junk off the market? What does that mean? Does a Redcat compare to a Losi? No, but people do not buy a Redcat expecting to go out and win races. They buy it for the same reason I did.

I remember many years ago when I got into the hobby for the first time I was told a few makes were junk. Turns out now they are some of the best! I am not saying Redcat will achieve this status, but I think they will reach mid-grade status as more dealers start carrying them. It would be ignorant of me to say they suck without at least trying them out. Have I run mine yet? No. I will in a few weeks and then I will form my opinion of it, but just from holding it in my hands I can tell what will break and what won't. It seems like a solidly built truck for the money. They are entry level priced, so guess who buys them? You got it, mostly newbies who have no experience and they do damage to them with their inept abilities. So where do the go? The local hobby shop who does not carry parts and tells them they are junk! What does this do to the newbie?

I have a high degree of mechanical ability and this allows me to repair things using alternate parts which were not made for the specific car. Plus, I have owned many other RC cars, the mechanics of them are pretty much the same just different methods of achieving the same result. Upgraded parts are available for all makes! Why is this?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:31 PM
hummerman

coostv,
I left the local hobby shop thinking i got a real piece of junk........lol
Guy made me feel like a cheapo....... drivng a hummer and have this cheap RC truck........lol
Well in spring when he opens his track back up........ we will see how many people are walking back and forth into his shop replacing parts while mine stays tough as nails.
And not to mention it looks twice as cool as anything he's got!!! Because i made all the parts myself!!
Old 12-13-2007, 07:32 PM
zeen420
Banned

ORIGINAL: coostv

Cooper1 are you saying the Redcat is junk? What do you base this opinion on? Have you owned one? I am not ripping on you. I would just like to know your experience with a Redcat.

Keep the junk off the market? What does that mean? Does a Redcat compare to a Losi? No, but people do not buy a Redcat expecting to go out and win races. They buy it for the same reason I did.

I remember many years ago when I got into the hobby for the first time I was told a few makes were junk. Turns out now they are some of the best! I am not saying Redcat will achieve this status, but I think they will reach mid-grade status as more dealers start carrying them. It would be ignorant of me to say they suck without at least trying them out. Have I run mine yet? No. I will in a few weeks and then I will form my opinion of it, but just from holding it in my hands I can tell what will break and what won't. It seems like a solidly built truck for the money. They are entry level priced, so guess who buys them? You got it, mostly newbies who have no experience and they do damage to them with their inept abilities. So where do the go? The local hobby shop who does not carry parts and tells them they are junk! What does this do to the newbie?

I have a high degree of mechanical ability and this allows me to repair things using alternate parts which were not made for the specific car. Plus, I have owned many other RC cars, the mechanics of them are pretty much the same just different methods of achieving the same result. Upgraded parts are available for all makes! Why is this?
Exactly!^^^^^^^^^^
Old 12-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Chubbysdad

cooper, I hate to burst your bubble but some of the redcats are made better than traxxas. I own both and the redcats(1/8th scale) hold up better than the traxxas. I am not bashing traxxas just stating a point. Maybe you had a bad experience with redcat or maybe you are just thinking they are junk, but the monsoon(with 12 tooth clutchbell and diff fluids) will run with alot of them. )All the huricanes will run with the others on the track also. I know that because I own a shop and a track. Please dont come on here and bash redcat. This is a forum for support not to bash or talk down a brand.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:55 PM
vnmsgt

I just got my axial .28 back from a hobbyshop (NPH Hobbies) by avon park and he had it for about 3 months saying it was getting warranteed and that he took it apart and my sleeve was cracked in half. Anyways to make a long story short, 3 months later I get it back and he says axial never did nothing to it and that he found the running problem and it was a bad carb. Funny how my cracked sleeve just fixed itself in 3 months and how the motor is suddenly together with a non scuffed head and rotostart installed instead of a pullstart, NOT MY MOTOR. I should be happy right? Well what makes me mad is that I gave him my buggy complete to check it out and got it back in pieces and had to wait about a half hour for him to find my body, whole clutch assembly which was just random ones he picked up, my RD Logics pipe and then did not know where my radio was and finally found it missing my antenna and battery cover and I did not have my car for 3 months and he just had it sitting there taking parts and then gives me some other guys motor. Also my servo arms were stripped and my front dogbone popped out. The next morning I called axial to see if he ever sent it because he said he called axial the day before and gave them hell. Well I spoke to the main person there for warranty and he never heard of the guy. He lied and never did do anything to my stuff and gave me another used motor instead of a rebuilt one he said axial was giving me.

Needless to say that buggy (robitronic protos) and the truggy I bought from him (robitronic Mantis) are now for sale on ebay and I do not want anything to do with him anymore. All he had to do is tell me the truth about the motor and I would have said fine do what you can do and if I got another used motor so be it since mine did not run but 3 MONTHS!!! c'mon![sm=48_48.gif][sm=48_48.gif]
Old 12-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Chubbysdad

is that why you shop at my store?? lol I guess I better not bull**** you again lol
Old 12-13-2007, 11:27 PM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been reading this very entertaining thread and I think one of you nailed it. It is not so much the brand but where you made the original purchase. If you walked in and had just bought a Traxxas online and let the store owner know this, it would probably piss him off too.

I deal with a lot of hobby shops obviously and many of them do grasp that their customer wants a lower price alternative to the major brands. Some dont get it and might not ever but that is their choice. I don't envy their jobs as working retail can be a pain with a lot of hours put in usually 6 days a week for just an ok paycheck.

I don't think many people open a hobby shop because they are looking for a quick buck. They open them because the hobby is their passion and love.

If they bash Redcat or another brand and you stand behind it, simply let the owner know about it and point him to this forum. They may come around and then again they may not.

Darin
Old 12-14-2007, 08:43 AM
coostv

I do not wish to bash hobby shops in general. The same thing happens no matter where you go. When I was shopping for a car a year ago the Salesman at the Chevy dealer bashed the Ford, but the guy at the Ford dealer had nothing but good things to say about the Chevy I was looking at. I bought the Ford. Not because of a dealership, but because it was a good solid reliable car with a track history as such. The Chevy had a good history too, but the price was better on the Ford and I had other things thrown into the deal that made it even better. I actually have both a Chevy and a Ford in my garage! Hobby shops are no different, they are there to supply the consumer with a product at a price albeit on a smaller scale and hopefully make a profit as Darin pointed out. If that shop owner would have kept his remark to himself, I would have never known, this thread would have never started, and I would not have gotten upset and gone on a rant.

To make a long story short, I do not care about the brand, I care about the product. I can make this product anything I want for just a few bucks, a little work, engineering, and patience and still have less into the thing in the end because it does not have a *big* name attached to it.

I have been reading with great interest most all threads on this message board. Not because I want to own all of the cars listed, but because I want to learn the product and be able to tell people when they ask what the weak points are and what can be done to make it a stronger product in the end. Gears, clutch bells, shock towers, servos (and related bits), wheels, and suspension bits seem to be the biggest issues to me. These are all the same issues I had with my previous *big* name cars. I had less issues with radio, servo, and shock towers, but this is due to buying them in kit form and putting upgraded parts on from the get go. Heck, I had more issues with Tamiya cars than I see posted here, but I was doing things with them that I should not have been doing I read the long thread about gears stripping originally started by ehroof, he stated the same thing at one point that issues with gears stripping has happened with all of his cars at some point, it was just a bigger issue with this particular brand. I think this was worked out by Redcat, even if it hasn't been there is a work around. 20 years ago that problem would have been different, we have the benefit of the internet to share our methods of correcting manufacturers short comings.

Beginners will have issues with all cars. A guy at work got into the hobby a couple years ago. He has been through everything listed here on this forum and he owns a Traxxas. He learned from his mistakes and does not have the same problems now. He has also upgraded the weak parts to make it stronger. It is like someones signature says- "I run, I crash, I fix"

Chris
Old 12-14-2007, 03:03 PM
pede_187

They said the same thing about my Cen. It's just because they want a sale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.