Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL" Redcat Avalanche thread

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL" Redcat Avalanche thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:36 PM
impune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Avalanche thread

i haven't had the need to change yet, but those work good?

so anyone have comments about the maelstorm? looks the same but smaller engine... so can we put the two speed trans with the sh 28 now? that would be even more power speed funn....

Old 06-06-2008, 06:08 AM
impune

i have a question about the steering.

the steering servo arm attaches to the post that i guess is the servo saver right? that is in a two piece like jigsaw post. the silver metal washer under it should be tightend up towards the post or down towards the chasis? i can't remember.

alos with the steering, the wheels will not turn while sitting on the ground but will if lifted it u p. i'm not sure if the gears in the steering servo are stripped or the horn, but the screw does not move either that is in the horn while on the ground. so in that case i thnk the servo gears are stripped inside then even though it makes the noise...

whats a goo servo for the steering and the adjust ments. thanks
Old 06-06-2008, 07:05 AM
ugly duck

If you screw the thumbwheel towards the servo saver it will tighten it. Towards the chassis will loosen it.

Is your servo making a bunch of noise with the wheels on the ground? If so, you have probably stripped it. If not, have you checked your batteries?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:15 PM
impune

i think it is stripped so i will need to replace. so go high torgue metal gear is the best or?

the wheels on the ground touching, makes noise, the screw in horn doesnot move at all. pick it up they move, but seems to loose it's center point. so must be stripped. changed the batteries and the same... man that sucks.

yeah i thought i broke the sero saver thing, did not know it was like a puzzel piece... untill i looked at it. i thightened it up towards the arm. i noticed another type vehicle had this but had a spring between the arm and the silver nut... might be a good upgrade?

thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Armycat

Hi there,
I am having a problem, I am breaking in my Avalanche and I need to replace the glow plug soon. Problem is I have no clue on which one to get. I would go to a hobby store but my happy ass is in Iraq. so no luck there, but I do have internet and mail only takes about a week. I have order lots of stuff from Tower Hobbies, but like I said I have no idea on which one to get.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Defmeq

Does anyone have a RTM Avalanche built up and tricked out? I've looked around the net but haven't been able to find any.

Defm
Old 08-30-2008, 07:21 PM
[email protected]

have anyone put an axial.28 or .32 on one of these avalanches im thinking of getting one but i want to know if the thing can do wheelies from standing start on demand can i get an axial or LRP motor on it without a whole lot of mods and is the chrome wheels shown above still availible all the new post on the net show it with those ugly white wheels email me at [email protected] thanks i like the way it looks i also like the landslide but dont know about that .18 sh would like to buy one of thoses as well but would want to put something else (engine) on it ROB
Old 08-31-2008, 12:12 AM
[email protected]

what clutch bell work on the avalanche and what after market springs can i use aluminum ones
Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 PM
[email protected]

i was thinking of buy this truck but theres very little info on it i want a truck that can pull the wheels off the ground from a standing start not jumping over some dirt hill calling that a wheel stand that a jump a wheel stand is what the tower terror ,t-maxx ,revo LST2, aftershock all will pull the wheels off the ground from a dead stop/idle but the alvalanche dont seem to have that snap maybe some aluminum shoes ,LRP z.28 spec3 axial.28RR o.s.30vg any of these would give this truck the shot in the rear it need to be bad ass if they could be put on it, it would flat out kick ass
Old 09-02-2008, 06:00 AM
aaeandcee

The Traxxas Revo 3.3 is an excellent truck. I own the battery version of this truck, the Stampede. I also own the Avalanche, which too is a good truck. The main difference is the Avalanche is a 1/8 scale and the Revo is a 1/10 scale. I received the Avalanche as a gift one Christmas and have a ton invested in spare parts, but if I had to do it over again I may have bought the Traxxas. Speed wise the vehicles are about equal, if you are in to the whole top speed thing...which is a bit overrated. My Avalanche can climb at a much steeper angle than the Traxxas, simply because the Avalanche can't do wheelies. Both vehicles handle very well and turn on a dime, if the suspension is setup correctly. The Traxxas does have reverse, which is very helpful. It really is like trying to compare apples to oranges. The Avalanche is very easy to work on and a nice simple design. I'm happy with my Avalanche and both my son and I have tons of fun with it. Wheelies are overrated and do tend to get boring after a while, so don't make that the sole factor on your decision. The Avalanche has a ton of mods you can make, while the design of the Traxxas is rather fixed. Go to your local hobby shop and do your homework is all I can recommend.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:23 AM
ugly duck

The Avalanche will NOT do wheelies unless it's modified. It has a center differential like a truggy or a buggy, so when the front wheels come off the ground, all the power from the rear wheels flows to the fronts and they just spin. Because it's got a center differential it's also only got one gearset, so it's got to be balanced for decent take-off and good top speed, and the other trucks you've mentioned have a really short first gear to pop the wheelies and a tall 2nd gear to make it go fast. If you lock up the center differential and gear it down (pretty much impossible since it's got the smallest clutch bell available) the Avalanche is still probably too low and well balanced to pull wheelies, so you'd have to raise the snot out of it.

All the other trucks you've mentioned are tall, short wheelbase, and have a transmission instead of a center diff. By the way, my stock LST2 will not pull a wheelie, and it's tuned pretty well. It just spins all 4 tires on whatever surface I drive on. I haven't tried it on pavement but what's the point of a wheelie anyway, especially when driving on pavement means having the thing tip over and flip in a corner, because the LST2 is such a top-heavy truck compared to the Avalanche.

The Avalanche is really in a class all by itself, but you could compare it to the Team Losi Muggy if you needed SOMETHING to compare it to. It's really a Monster Truck / Truggy hybrid.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:37 PM
[email protected]

thanks for the info my stock lst2 will wheelie all day long so ck your tune and thats on any surface i still do like the way the redcat alvalance looks and for the price can't beat it so i will still buy one but the tower terror doesn't have a tranny either and theyy wheelie on demand so hummmmm
Old 09-03-2008, 06:36 PM
countrycustoms

does anyonemake replacement bearings for the avalanche clutch bell part#83008bs . no one seems to carry them including redcat
Old 09-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Redcat Nick

they are 11*5*4 bearings

I should have them in stock shortly but your local hobby shop will have that bearing
Old 09-03-2008, 07:39 PM
countrycustoms

what causes them to come apart, i replaced the clutch drum and when i removed it had a hand full of casings and bearings
Old 09-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

friction which causes heat kills them.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Defmeq

Lol the SH .28 is what causes the clutch bell bearing to come apart. I've had to replace mine a few times and i just used traxxas bearings from my local hobby shop. This motor is such a beast it actually warped my bell to!

Defm
Old 09-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

nah, the sh.28 is not a power house. Clutchbell bearings are very common to go. Most racers change them every or everyother race.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:31 PM
[email protected]

does anyone know what the wheel hub size is on the avalanche/landslide/volcano 14mm 17mm 19mm or what??
Old 09-10-2008, 12:13 AM
chevyderek72

the hex? i know that the volcano is 12mm, not sure about the other ones though
Old 10-17-2008, 04:59 PM
tylervalentine

ORIGINAL: aaeandcee

The Traxxas Revo 3.3 is an excellent truck. I own the battery version of this truck, the Stampede.

Tyler valentine

Actually the E-Revo is the "electric version" (battery version" is an incorrect term). The stampede is really no comparison to the Revo at all.

ORIGINAL: ugly duck

The Avalanche is really in a class all by itself, but you could compare it to the Team Losi Muggy if you needed SOMETHING to compare it to. It's really a Monster Truck / Truggy hybrid.

Tyler Valentine

A Truggy IS a mix between a Buggy and a Monster Truck so the avalanche is more of a Truggy with monster truck tires and a truck body.

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

does anyone know what the wheel hub size is on the avalanche/landslide/volcano 14mm 17mm 19mm or what??

Tyler Valentine

Volcano = 12mm and Landslide/Avalanche = 14mm
I am 99% positive that those are the correct sizes.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:54 PM
pede_187

It's a 17mm hex
Old 10-17-2008, 07:17 PM
tylervalentine

positive? if it is thats great.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:44 PM
pede_187

ORIGINAL: tylervalentine

positive? if it is thats great.
Yes. I'm 100% positive that it's 17mm
Old 10-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Redharris

The Volcano Hex size is 12mm.
The Avalanche Hex size is 17mm
Not sure about the Landslide, but I would Guess it is 17mm also.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.