Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

What people think about Redcat

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:25 AM
twomanytoys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What people think about Redcat

Yah right eddie. Most dealers dont look outside the box. Although my local hobby shop is looking to get into redcat. He saw them about a year ago at a show and was impressed and he saw my sons avalanche and was even more impressed.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:15 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couldnt hurt to try.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:43 AM
{GBI}Harryball

ORIGINAL: motodude11

best place to get it, learned alot about all my truck from here, hey guys is this funny or what my redcat monsoon is the only one up and running right now!!! My warhead is plagued with tranny problems and my tmaxx is apart for hop ups go figure the truck everyone puts down is the only one running!! How ironic?! Hey got a quick redcat question does anyone else have problems with there truck getting hits and activating the fail safe? Seems to kick in alot and have the same fail safe in other trucks and they work fine the only difference is im using the redcat FM radio.
Hey, what do you know, my warhead evo is down too. I cant believe something so big and tough looking could be so fragile.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:17 AM
motodude11
My Feedback: (1)

lol yea my tranny keeps going because i have a sporwerks 26 in it though to much power for the little pin in the tranny on the top shaft gear, keep shearing them into three pieces! [:@] im gunna use a hardened pin from now on and see how that goes. plus when i took it apart my center dogbone pins are mutilated gunna upgrade to those cvd things.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:15 AM
Stryker48

I LOVE my Redcat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMyKISYcrNc
Old 04-18-2015, 03:05 PM
XtrmTJ
My Feedback: (6)

Holly Molly Batman , talk about digging up old threads....LoL
Old 07-28-2015, 05:05 PM
DontTredOnMe16

As a complete newbie I did a LOT of research on nitro rc's before I bought one. And from someone who knows absolutely nothing surfing the web about nitro rc's redcat gets horrible reviews at major retailers such as amazon which really says something about the product to me...that being said I bought something else cause I just couldn't bring myself to purchase a redcat with ratings like that
Old 07-29-2015, 05:47 AM
Stryker48

Originally Posted by DontTredOnMe16
As a complete newbie I did a LOT of research on nitro rc's before I bought one. And from someone who knows absolutely nothing surfing the web about nitro rc's redcat gets horrible reviews at major retailers such as amazon which really says something about the product to me...that being said I bought something else cause I just couldn't bring myself to purchase a redcat with ratings like that
Firstly reviews on Amazon do not make for all the reviews that are out there on Recat products. While Redcat have received a bad wrap in the past (rightfully so) they have stepped up their quality control and using better plastics these days.
I have yet to have ANY issues with my Redact Hurricane XTE 1/8 brushless buggy which I drive at least 3 times a week. No RC is unbreakable or indestructible and it all boils down how you use and or abuse it.

If you had done so much research, as I newbie, I'm rather perplexed you would go with nitro as apposed to electric? Most people will agree that electrics are far easier to maintain than nitro, which spends more time in the pitts tuning the damn thing than racing on the track and/or bashing. "I'm just saying!"

Last edited by Stryker48; 07-29-2015 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:54 AM
Stryker48

Like us, just because we get old, doesn't mean were dead yet
Old 07-29-2015, 05:55 AM
Stryker48

Originally Posted by XtrmTJ
Holly Molly Batman , talk about digging up old threads....LoL
Like us, just because we get old, doesn't mean we're dead yet!
Old 08-07-2015, 05:03 PM
PaulDeth

RedCat RS-10. A great basher. Weak servos, ok. I don't compete.

RedCat the best for players.

Last edited by PaulDeth; 08-27-2015 at 07:42 PM. Reason: pixx
Old 04-03-2016, 07:36 AM
HueyC

Hey all, I am a novice to this hobby and two months ago purchased the Shockwave 1/10 scale. I've learned a lot since then watching videos and calling Red Cat customer support for questions that I couldn't find online or had mixed answers. The guys working customer service were very helpful and even 2-3 times call one day, the same guy was very friendly, knowledgeable and sounded sincerely wanting to help get me up to speed. I've got the engine tuned and went out on couple bashing outings with my 6 year old son. Although, I am no where near trusting him with the remote I had a blast and couple times buggy tumbled transitioning from pavement to grass and kept on going. I was worried that might have broken something but so far so good....

I have a BIG question for everyone. The startup kit that came with 20% nitro is almost empty, I've visited our local Hobby Town store and all they had in stock was Byron Gen II 30% (gal) paid 39.06$. I thought it was a bit expensive but it's an addiction that's not going away So, my question is has anyone have any experience using 30% nitro fuel in their Shockwave and how's the performance? Will I overheat or have to do major returning and whatever else......
Old 04-03-2016, 07:40 AM
HueyC

Hi, wonder if you can help answer question. I've recently purchased shockwave and used up the 20% nitro that came with starter kit. The car runs great and when I went to local HobbyTown store, all they carry at the time was Byron GEN II 30% nitro. I was desperate and bought it without finding out whether ok to run this % in my engine. Any thoughts on this? This is my first buggy and I don't want anything to happen to it. Btw, I've just purchase my 2nd buggy and it's the Hurricane 1/8 scale.... I am so hooked on this hobby. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Bob Jablonski

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 30% I would use for a 1/4A engine (.049-.061) not in the 1/8 for sure. If the hobby shop carrys 10% Get that and mix 50/50 that will get you in the sweet spot.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
www.countylinehobbies.com
Old 04-03-2016, 01:15 PM
HueyC

Hi Bob,

Thanks for chiming in to my inquiry. The Red Cat Shiockwave has a 2.67cc vertex engine. with that being said, is that ok to use 30% nitro? You've mentioned 1/8, not sure if we are talking apple and oranges here. Thanks
Old 04-04-2016, 07:17 AM
Bob Jablonski

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HueyC
Hi Bob,

Thanks for chiming in to my inquiry. The Red Cat Shiockwave has a 2.67cc vertex engine. with that being said, is that ok to use 30% nitro? You've mentioned 1/8, not sure if we are talking apple and oranges here. Thanks
No that is to much nitro for that motor. 20% is OK bur 30% may run a higher RPM but will either burn or blow it up. The bigger the motor the less nitro is needed. The little .049 motors run great on .25% and 30% for the modified ones, .40 engines use 5%-10% (roughly twice the size of the engine you have) I would get a gallon of 10% fuel and mix them 50/50 to bring the nitro content to 20% and all will be good. You will notice the 10% fuel will be cheaper. as Nitro is not cheap. Also I would not use 30% in a 1/10 motor either.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN574-540-1123
[email protected]
www.countylinehobbies.com
Old 04-04-2016, 08:51 AM
HueyC

Thank you for advice.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:35 AM
Crf450r

Just unboxed my blackout xbe pro, pushed on the suspension, it had a weird flat spot in it... Removed the shocks and they were maybe filled half way with oil, so I added new 40 weight to them to the correct level, charger and other extra batteries all had Dean's plugs on them so I went to a local hobby shop and had them solder on new plugs to my battery and esc, got home and it wouldn't work right, no response from the controller... I go to take the top off and 2 screws are 100% locked in, so I can't remove the top to change out lube or inspect the servos or speed control, a few taps on the speed control, now it drives again... But steering still has centering issues and it has horrible torque steer, I'm thinking 10,000 weight diff lube should do the trick, if they can even be serviced... So far, I'm rather disappointed in my buggy, sure it's fast, but it's got a lot of issues and I haven't even gotten to really drive it yet! I had a slash ultimate 4x4 last time so I haven an idea of what I'm doing... But this can't even really compete just yet...
Old 04-11-2016, 10:03 PM
Hunterhoward23

Originally Posted by Stryker48
Firstly reviews on Amazon do not make for all the reviews that are out there on Redcat products"
It seems to me that the majority of reviews on most vehicles, RTR models at least, found on Amazon are left by new users who have problems with a vehicle. Sometimes they may not realize it's a common problem or easy to fix and may blame it on the vehicle without knowing otherwise. On the other hand, if a new user, a lot of times reviewers will state that they are new to the hobby, writes a good review about a product and reports little to know problems then you can make the assumption that the vehicle must be of decent quality based on the fact that a new user has experienced no problems. I ussually read reviews on Amazon but always take them with a grain of salt.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:23 AM
KodeMechanic

I have 4 Blackout XBE PROs. Each of my kids (5yr, 10yr, 13yr old) bash them every few days and we have surprisingly few repairs to make considering the latest game they play is "Tag" where one car is "it" and the others have to physically tag him so they can be "it". Our arena is hard clay with 3-4 jumps and no lanes to speak of. Usually a layer of fine dust helps limit speeds and reduce damage.

I went into this knowing I would get to work on the cars most of the time, but after a few breaks, we began keeping an eye on the shock mounts and side body mounts and now the bashing sessions are break free most of the time. There are a couple of mods that I'm going to do soon to stiffen the chassis and provide more protection on the back (no rear bumper on the XBE and the flexible hinge gets push in against the shocks sometimes).

Redcat durability is outstanding for the price. I took the bad reviews with a grain of salt as well. Especially those that start with "Dont drive it in the house!". I've only had experience with the Blackout XBE and the one thing that we do religiously now is make sure that the roll cage stays connected to the side body mounts. When the roll cage isn't connected properly it allows flex in the chassis and the rear hing can also get pushing into the shocks. But once we figured that out, we just glance at the connection after a wreck and get back to bashing.

My only complaint is that the aftermarket isn't there for the Blackout line yet. Things like aluminum steering bellcranks, ackerman arm, and others aren't avail in aluminum. Redcat branded hopups are available but they're expensive and are primarily parts that I haven't broken yet.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:19 PM
Crf450r

Ok so I got the part number for the bearings vs the crappy bushings. What inexpensive servo/servo horn are you guys using? And for now I'm going to swap in my duratrax vendetta St radio to see if that fixes any steering issues
Old 05-09-2016, 09:51 AM
KodeMechanic

I'm using the 15kg stock servo on the XBE PRO. One of the 4 burned out, gears are fine, the chip inside burned up. Will continue using them unless I get more failures and need to step up to something more durable. just make sure your servo has metal gears if you're not using a servo saver.

For the Servo horn, I have both AXIAL and APEX brands that I ordered from amazon. Between $9 and $13 shipped with Prime. With these, you do have to trim a hole in the upper deck above the servo horn and you'll have to use a shorter servo horn screw or add a busing as it will now be too long to hold the horn on. I just used a dremmel and made a short screw.

Still looking for a solution with the ackermann to bellcrank connection. Thats where most of the remaining slop is in mine.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:56 PM
KodeMechanic

Pic of the cutout so the servo horn will fit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	586.1 KB
ID:	2161875  
Old 05-11-2016, 08:29 PM
PaulDeth

Buy a blackout. Get a decent servo with an aluminum horn. Have fun.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:54 AM
KodeMechanic

Nice trucks. What wheels/tires do you have on the xbe? Any issues with rubbing on the front when turned? Want to get a new set of wheels as the stock have a crack or 2 in the spokes on one of my trucks. Figure it's only a matter of time before we slam it into something and break the wheel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.