Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

What is your opinion on RedCat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:36 PM
S.R.G.
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your opinion on RedCat?

I am planning to purchase either a Tornado or a Tsunami in 2 days or so. I have been reading around on the forums that the RedCat RC's are crap when it comes to quality. Right off the bat it seems you have to blow $25 on a belt, springs, gears, and other things to keep it running for more than a day. I would like to have a nitro rc that is cheap and reliable, as I am a beginner to nitro rc's. However, most of the posts on the forum is from 1-3 of 07, and perhaps they have improved the quality of their products. If somebody can tell me of their quality today, and if they are a good beginners nitro.

Also I have a question on whether it is a must to go from 2 speed to a single speed - beginner + car work = pretty messy.

Thanks for any help you can provide me.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:42 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is your opinion on RedCat?

there is no belt on a redcat and the gear mesh problem was take care of over a year ago. they are a great rc for the money. its not a neccesity to go to a single speed but it makes it better for off road but you DONT NEED to do it. I have pretty much every redcat they make and i have the original volcano stx from a few years ago along with the tornado xp and i love them, just put the upgraded clutch bell and clutch spring and problems were solved, now they come with them from the factory. not to mention the support you get from the forum support team, LOL
Old 01-05-2008, 10:49 PM
S.R.G.

Thank you very much. I am ready to purchase my new nitro. I am now only down to deciding which is best for me, the Tsunami or the Tornado. If maybe you could assist me, or anyone else, I would like to know the following things.

1. Tsunami or Tornado for 1-3 inch grass?
2. Tsunami or Tornado for pavement?
3. What is the top speed for the Tsunami?
4. What is the top speed for the Tornado?
5. How do you prep the motor?

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:08 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: S.R.G.

Thank you very much. I am ready to purchase my new nitro. I am now only down to deciding which is best for me, the Tsunami or the Tornado. If maybe you could assist me, or anyone else, I would like to know the following things.

1. Tsunami or Tornado for 1-3 inch grass?
2. Tsunami or Tornado for pavement?
3. What is the top speed for the Tsunami?
4. What is the top speed for the Tornado?
5. How do you prep the motor?

Thanks.
1. tsunami
2. tornado
3. never clocked my tsunami but i would say about 40
4. my tornado xp hit 42mph with the 2 speed
5. do a break in, when you get it, it should have instructions if not or you want to know now, here you go: http://redcatracing.com/firsttime.asp
Old 01-05-2008, 11:25 PM
pede_187

I love my redcat. Quality IS NOT a problem. I'm now making mine brushless with lots of aluminum.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:35 PM
xjedix

I picked up two Tornado BB's about a month ago and am VERY happy with them for the price. To date I have about a gallon through each car. One of our cars has run like a champ since the day it was broke in but for some reason I am having issues getting my other Tornado dialed in. For some reason it just doesn't run as strong as the other, not quite as much power and not as responsive in corners. I believe it is just a matter of tweaking the carb settings and suspension. Both cars are very easy to start and idle perfect. The only issues we have had is having to adjust the throttle linkage and tighten up random screws. Overall I am very happy with the performance of both cars and am actually looking into getting a third.

Now as far as what car you should get, it just depends on where it will get the most use. If you plan to drive it mostly on the street I would go for the Tornado, if you are mostly in the dirt I would go for the Tsunami.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 PM
rc_crazy21

For the price you pay, you can not find a better deal for a brand new RC! I own about half of Redcat Rc's and don't have any complaints, this is a hobby and no matter what you get you will have to fix it or maintain it!!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:58 PM
S.R.G.

I know that any rc from experience needs maintenance and repairs here and there, but never right off the bat, unless you totally abuse it or misuse it. I am very happy with the responses I have received. The only thing my purchase of a Tornado BB depends on now is whether my dad will let me buy it on my credit card, or if I have to wait and get the cash first.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:02 AM
xjedix

Good call on the Tornado. Here is a video of me racing my Tornado BB against a Team Associated TC3 with a Traxxas 2.5R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iSTr2irsuw
Old 01-06-2008, 12:08 AM
S.R.G.

Very nice video I have to say. I am ready to purchase my Tornado BB. My entire purchase lingers in my dad's hands.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:12 AM
pede_187

Just to give you an idea on how stuff like arms would hold up, The 1/10 arms are thicker than Team Associated GT2 arms.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Gru15

ehroof- What do you think of your Lightning?? I am looking into getting one but would like to see one run; you have the only video on youtube of it. I need something that will keep up with my friends Associated TC3 with a Traxxas 2.5R, think a Lighting could hang?? I can keep up pretty decent if I put down perfect laps in my Tornado BB. How would the Lightning compare to the Tornado BB on the street??? The only thing that concerns me is the smaller engine in the Lightning. Would love to hear your thoughts considering you own both.
Today I ran my Lightning with my buddys tmaxx 2.5 on a shop floor which was super slick, we kept up with eachother! Eventhough he liked jumping his T-Maxx off my Lightning [>:] It all ended when his motor over heated, But I kept running, My day ended when my car spun out and hit a lift bending the He** outta the upgraded exhaust header and the muffler popped off... Good times though.

I love my Lightning it's the only redcat i'd keep a 2 speed... If your going offroad go with a single speed.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:42 AM
S.R.G.

I will probably end up staying on pavement or some very hard dirt (very comparable to the texture of cement (as in not loose dirt or gravel)). I am ready to get my new RC, but really, the "getting to know nitro" is going to be a little tricky for me at first - seeing it will be up to me only to learn it.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:48 AM
xjedix

Its not that difficult, just read through all the info on Redcats website before you get your car. Pay attention to what they say about the carb settings before and after break in. Also learn the terms rich and lean and what they mean if you don't already know.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:00 AM
S.R.G.

Yea, I have the rich and lean thing down. The thing that strikes me is I have been reading through the break-in manual, and do not really understand the whole thing about marking where the engine head is at the bottom. If someone can clear me up on this, that would be great.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:28 AM
xjedix

What you are doing is marking the flywheel to show you when the piston is at bottom dead center. After you run each break in tank you will want to return the piston to BDC so it can cool properly. I am not sure how critical this really is; I forgot to do this on one of my Tornados and it is the better running one.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 AM
S.R.G.

Thank you for that information. I am ready to get it. How much tuning did your Tornado's require when you got them in? I know some will be required, but the best if it is near tuned when i get it. Also, do you use after run oil? - as I will probably purchase this also to prolong the life of my rc.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:52 AM
xjedix

I actually broke it in on the factory settings, didn't know anything about tuning at the time. After break in it was running a bit sluggish. That night I read up on a bunch of tuning guides and set it at the suggested post break in setting. The next day it ran like a top, incredible power and plenty of top end speed. I do use after run oil but only when it is going to sit for a few days. I also make sure to get all the fuel out of the lines and completely drain the tank.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:57 AM
S.R.G.

Ok, sounds like it is not where it is hung up or will not start on getting it. I will probably run the rc dry each time I use it, and have been researching the ways to break-in the engine, maintenance, tuning, and storing. Is it essential to drain the gas out of it? On the top of the motor head (aka - what I see as being the glow plugs location), is it necessary to unscrew the glow plug and oil directly? And is it necessary to tuned the shift timing on the Tornado?

I know these seem like dumb questions, but the manuals I have been reading leave me a little blank.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:07 AM
xjedix

Not sure if it can hurt it but I would say you are best off draining the tank at the end of the day. Yes you will want to remove the glow plug and put the after run oil directly on the piston, then pull the pull start and put a couple more drops in. You will also want to take off the air filter and put a drop in the carb. The shift point should not need to be touched from the factory. In the case that you do want to change it, it can easily be done from the bottom of the car.

No problem on the questions, I was in your shoes a month ago.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:56 PM
S.R.G.

Ok, I now have $200 to buy my first nitro RC, and I have decided to go with the Tornado BB. I just need to know 3 things before I make my purchase tonight:

1. What is the run time on one tank (assume 1/2 throttle)?
2. What is the transmitter range?
3. What is the best fuel to use?

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:52 PM
xjedix

1. I've never timed it but I would guess I get 10-15min while running it hard.

2. Mine can go all the way down the street, a good 80-90 yards. I've never had it out far enough to lose signal at all.

3. I use Traxxas 20% Nitro fuel. Whatever brand you get 20% nitro is a good starting point fuel.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:57 PM
vnmsgt

I never liked traxxas fuel. Yes it was easy to tune and ran very well in my cars but I always had problems with my one way bearings because of the percentage of oil content in the fuel. You would be better using something like trinity 20% and I all my one way bearing problems went away for good.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:05 PM
S.R.G.

I have just placed my order for the following items:

Tornado BB
Beginners Kit from RedCat
O'Donnell 20% Racing Quart
DuraTrax Air Filter Oil 3 oz
Hobbico After Run Engine Oil 2 oz

Thanks everyone for your help, it was awesome to find intelligent people to answer my questions. I will probably be posting back on proper tuning and care for the nitro, but will have 5 days to read all the manuals I can - really manuals are not good till you have the physical item it pertains to. If yo know of any video tutorials of maintenance, break-in, and keep-up, please post.

And again, thanks for all of your help.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:07 PM
twomanytoys

If you use Sidewinder you wont need after run oil or you wont have to drain the tank. I have run it for years and all my rc's run like a top. I have an old os 12cz with over 12gallons and still runs great. I have used teh heat cycle method on the last few engines and they have been great. I used the traxxas break in on a 2.5r and the heat cycle method on another. The one that was on the heat cycle method runs better and stronger. Proper break in either makes or breaks a good running engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.