Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How does motor attach to pull start?

Hey guys, happy new years!

Have a question Im hoping you all can help me with. Im still fairly new at this hobby.

I have a Volcano SV that Ive been running for a couple months now. Im sure its not the greatest truck, but for me, its perfect.

Anyway after some "heavy" use one day, I broke a few parts and took the truck apart to replace them. Upon re-assembly I realized my pull start was missing two screws and when I took the last two off to look inside, the insides of the pull start shot out all over. Not sure If I could fix the pull start, I ordered a new one from red cat, and the package with the 4 mounting screws, just to cover myself.

heres what I dont understand..

When you bolt the starter to the motor, is there supposed to be a peice that fits inbetween? What actually grabs the crank and turns in? Some kind of one way bearing? My manual shows the part number of the motor, then the part number of the pull start, so am I missing something? If i just screw the motor on, and pull the string, nothing happens, since its not engaging anything.

What am I missing guys?

Thanks for your help

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: How does motor attach to pull start?

the one way is probably inside of your old pullstarter, it fits on the shaft and the pull start has a hex opening that it slides onto it. make sure you have it the right way.
    125 characters and 2 lines is not enough to list my RC obsession!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i learned this one the hard way too. you would think redcat would show the bearing in the manual but they dont. Its not a cheap part either to be throwing away with the broken pull starter like i did. Maybe redcat could do a revision to their manual's and add a note reminding you of the one way bearing packed into the pull starter.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lol, well I did the same thing as you then buddy.

Got a part number for the one way bearing that Im sure I threw away with the old pull start because the manual doesnt list it? [:@]

Definitly learning the hard way. Ill try looking for the old starter again too.

Thanks guys

-Joe

6267 works great for a pull start OWB and it's only a couple of bucks.
    Dealer for..Redcat, Traxxas, Associated, Cen, Racers Edge, RD Logic, Losi, HPI, E-flight, Himoto, Venom, Heli-Max, O.S...etc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

get rid of the crappy pull start and put a roto start on it
    parts by Rob (westcoasthobbies@shaw.ca)
    B.C. redcat dealer