Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Hurricane or Monsoon for Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Redharris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurricane or Monsoon for Racing?

I started with a Volcano SV for Thrashing. Great fun...Have learned a lot about Nitros...Would like to move up.
I have a well organized track near my house and want to start racing (novice).
I know that people here love the Hurricane, and It seems like an awesome buggy for someone like me. Great value and almost indestructable. ( I've seen the videos...lol)
I wonder about the Truggy (Monsoon) though. Higher ground clearance. Littlle bit wider stance. Maybe a little more versatile?
Any racers out there? Help me out with some advice..
Old 01-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Macanan

Default RE: Hurricane or Monsoon for Racing?

I haven't been into this to long BUT I have noticed if your wanting to race on track the buggy would be best, if your wanting for high grass, rocks, tree limbs the monsoon would be for that. just my thoughts on the matter.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 AM
rc_crazy21

If you are looking for true track racing than the Hurricane is the best choice, because of the lower ground clearance which allows for better jumping, cornering and over all control. If you would like to doing racing on and off the track go for the monsoon as it is a great all around machine!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:13 AM
Redharris

Thanks Guys... I AM already leaning towards the Hurricane cuz the track out here has some organized clubracing an im thinkin it will be primarily for the track. I Know that Truggy racing is catchin on Fast, but there seem to be more folks racing the Buggys out here. Im know that the Hurricane shares a lot of parts with the Kyosho buggy, so I should have good luck finding parts on short notice.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:22 AM
Redharris

Double post.....sorry!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 AM
vnmsgt

I have both and I think it depends on how you like to drive. Buggies are alot more of a hand full to drive, they are faster due to the less weight and harder to handle. They are very twitchy and alot easier to flip over. On the other hand the turn on a dime, very nimble and fly awesome in the air!

The truggies on the other hand are alot easier to drive, Buggie racing classes are killer and FAST especiallly for someone who has not driven a 1/8 car yet or even raced before. Truggies are more forgiving and easier to save if you make a mistake and are alot harder to flip over due to a lower center of gravity from a much wider wheelbase. They handle bumps alot better and I think can take more abuse. The monsoon also can use alot of kyosho parts of the inferno st and st-r. Here are two vids of my redcats at a local track just messing around. Was late at night so nobody else was out there.

Hurricane
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeiOb6qZopE[/link]

Monsoon
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asFF0Xv5vLs[/link]
Old 01-08-2008, 07:42 AM
rc_crazy21

They are both based off of the same chassis so parts that fit one will fit the other!

I don't agree with the flipping over part, i have not been able to flip any of my buggies over. I guess it depends on how well the jump is built and if it is built correctly. But then again i have be driving them for many years, so control is second nature.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with the flipping over 100 percent. Look at the width of a buggy compared to a truggy. Of course practice has something to do with it. But you can flip a buggy over in a turn alot easier than a truggy.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:40 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100% a buggy flips easeir and does not handle nearly as good as a truggy, the truggy is much wider.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:40 AM
CORR

X3 on the flipping..I did it twice on level ground (heavy on the throttle)

The stock tires on the Hurricane have a tread on the sidewall that give a little extra bite that doesn't help in the rollover department.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: rc_crazy21

They are both based off of the same chassis so parts that fit one will fit the other!

I don't agree with the flipping over part, i have not been able to flip any of my buggies over. I guess it depends on how well the jump is built and if it is built correctly. But then again i have be driving them for many years, so control is second nature.
They may look like the same chassis but the Monsoon has a much longer chassis then the hurricane.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:24 AM
motodude11

i think that we all agree which ever way you decide to go both are great trucks!!!!

Josh
Old 01-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Redcat Nick

Actually one truck and one buggy. lol but who cares. hell get both of them. that way you can have twice the fun
Old 01-08-2008, 03:30 PM
motodude11

sounds good to me lol especially since it aint my money
Old 01-08-2008, 09:00 PM
rc_crazy21

I thought by flipping you meant the front flipping over. Yes they can be tippy at times, which can cause they to roll over in a turn. I agree with you on that, i guess i take flipping over as a totally different meaning! [8D]
Old 01-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Redharris

Awesome video vnmsgt!
From watchin the video, it looks like the truggy is easier to control on a jump/landing but is a bit less precise in the turns. Front end seems to push a little. The Buggy looks to be a bit less forgiving over the jumps but really carves those turns up! Looks like it goes exactly where you point it.. Both look Very fast.
Damn.... I might have to take Ehroofs suggestion and get Both! This Hobbie is gettin more expensive every week!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:54 PM
ehroof

bro, get the 2 if you can, you wont be diapointed, i love mine, lol. Its only money, you can always make more, thats my motto
Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: Redharris

Awesome video vnmsgt!
From watchin the video, it looks like the truggy is easier to control on a jump/landing but is a bit less precise in the turns. Front end seems to push a little. The Buggy looks to be a bit less forgiving over the jumps but really carves those turns up! Looks like it goes exactly where you point it.. Both look Very fast.
Damn.... I might have to take Ehroofs suggestion and get Both! This Hobbie is gettin more expensive every week!
that is exactly the differences between truggies and buggies. Pretty much all will be like that no matter the manufacturer.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Redharris

Awright! I made my decision.I just ordered a Monsoon I cant wait! I am fired up! WOOT!
Gonna go Bash my Volcano this weekend too!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:06 PM
ehroof

Nice bro