Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Air Filter leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:40 PM
cheeba400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter leak

Has anybody had one? My motor just got ruined today and there is only about 8 tanks in her. I think the air filter was faulty allowing particles to be induced by the engine. I dont even drive it in dusty places, as a matter of fact, I have only had the truck for 4 days now. I broke it in properly and have only had it in the dirt once. I was tuning it today and made a full throttle pass, as the r's got up the motor went "POP"!!! It was running real rich too!! So after looking at it and findind that there was no compresion, I knew it was toast. I pulled the air filter off and the venturi has dirt all around and even the snorkel from the air filter had lots of debris in it. This means that particles were passing somehow through the filter or there is a leak somewhere that I cant locate. This really sucks because the truck is so new and because of faulty parts my truck is parked!! I hope Redcat will replace the motor because there was no negligence done on my part. Hopefully someone from Redcat can help me soon.... [:@]
Old 01-11-2008, 09:43 PM
coostv

Default RE: Air Filter leak

Did you add oil to the air filter?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:46 PM
cheeba400

Yep...
Old 01-11-2008, 10:18 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have personally never had a problem with the stock air filters.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:56 PM
hrdcoreglf

Are you using single stage or two stage filter?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:51 PM
rc_crazy21

I can't figure how dirt would get in there if the filter was on correctly! Because i have never ran into that problem. Sure you didn't swap out glow plugs while the head was dirty and some may have fallen in the sleeve? Didn't run with the filter off at all?
Old 01-12-2008, 12:14 AM
bash_N_corn

My guess is that the was a gap between the element and the housing of the stock filter, I know when I oil or clean my filter I pay close attention to make sure and tuck the ends of the element down into its seat. Perhaps it was an oversite on your behalf or maybe it was jarred out of place while you were driving it... either way sorry to hear about your trouble
Old 01-12-2008, 01:26 AM
cheeba400

To answer all of you, I am not dumb or new to this so read what I said a little more careful. It is the stock air filter the truck is an avalanche. No there was no gap betweeen the element and housing and the head is not and has not been dirty so no, there was no debris that fell in while changing plugs.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:45 AM
NitroKiller

Hey man, sorry to hear about your engine getting trashed. I think your looking for an answer that no one can give you. Somewhere, somehow debris entered the engine system...it happens.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:18 AM
CORR

Edit..Never mind.

Delete my post if needed
Old 01-12-2008, 11:20 AM
ehroof

if the filter was oiled, installed correctly then there is no way dirt could enter the the engine, those 1/8 filters are pretty decent.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:28 AM
bash_N_corn

ORIGINAL: cheeba400

To answer all of you, I am not dumb or new to this so read what I said a little more careful. It is the stock air filter the truck is an avalanche. No there was no gap betweeen the element and housing and the head is not and has not been dirty so no, there was no debris that fell in while changing plugs.

Hey bro, calm down a hair, nobody is trying to insult you... This is just what we do as a group trying to figure out the how, what or why. If nothing else simply to have something to do over the winter months.... (like me) So please understand after reading your post I simply made an educated guess at the most likely senario since this would be the first case I've heard of a stock air filter failure on a redcat.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:29 AM
{GBI}Harryball

Did you check the slide carb boot. Ive had these go back and allow dirt in. Just a thought.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:01 PM
cheeba400

GBI: that is one thing I didn't check so thanks for the insight. After inspecting the slide boot, it looks to be functioning properly and there is no gap on it or anything.
Bash: sorry if it seemed I came off mad it was not directed towards you. I am just really frustrated with the truck right now since all I have had with it is problems and it doesn't help that I have only owned the truck for a few days now...
Old 01-12-2008, 12:05 PM
ehroof

i really love my avalanche, it sucks your having problems with it, i have blown a few engines in my time, air filters falling off when jumping or on rough terrain. Breaking is part of the hobby though, always has been and will be. maybe take some pictures of the filter and maybe we can figure something out, pics of the entire filter.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:34 PM
{GBI}Harryball

Hey one more idea, have you taken the back plate off to see if the crank is broken. I just talked with a buddy of mine and he had a similar occurance with one of his motors.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:56 PM
twomanytoys

He said the venturi had dirt on it so that would rule out the backplate. I have been using teh stock filter with no problems at all. I also check it before every run. Clean everytime.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

also you could wrap vet wrap around the filter for added protection. We do that down in florida.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:34 PM
cheeba400

vet wrap??? whats that [sm=72_72.gif]
Old 01-12-2008, 02:55 PM
FlyinGN

I agree. Ther POP is a sure sign something let go,. Ill bet it had nothing to do with the dirt..

ORIGINAL: {GBI}Harryball

Hey one more idea, have you taken the back plate off to see if the crank is broken. I just talked with a buddy of mine and he had a similar occurance with one of his motors.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:00 PM
cheeba400

That could be. Hopefully. Incase Redcat won't warranty it, where is a good place to get another engine?
Old 01-12-2008, 04:56 PM
{GBI}Harryball

That could be. Hopefully. Incase Redcat won't warranty it, where is a good place to get another engine?
You can order a new engine, or replace the parts that broke in the motor. If your looking for a complete motor check out http://www.clermontmotorsports.com, and www.redcatracing.com you may also want to see what broke. As I posted before pull the back plate off and check to see if your crank shaft is ok. Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:12 PM
FlyinGN

Redcats lifetime warranty is no questions asked. They will honor it
Old 01-12-2008, 06:04 PM
xjedix

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Your best best is to take a few pictures of the filter/ engine ect and post them here; hopefully someone will be able to identify a problem. You are covered by Redcats engine warranty; you'll basically pay half price for a replacement engine. It still sucks but at least your not out $150-200 like anyone else would be.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:04 PM
twomanytoys

Its not lifetime warranty. Its lifetime engine replacement program. You can exchange the engine for half the cost of the new one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.