Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

New, Have a few questions about my Volcano

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

New, Have a few questions about my Volcano

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:11 PM
MadMatt2024

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New, Have a few questions about my Volcano

First, let me start out by saying this is a great forum. I browsed it before I bought my Redcat and it definitely made me feel better knowing there would be people that would help me if I had a problem. Lots of great information as well (some of which I have already used.)

I have a few small problems and would like your advice.

First, the left rear shock spring rubs on the battery/receiver box tab. I can't use any of the other shock mounting holes because of this as well. Does anyone else have this issue and if so did you find a way to fix it?

Second, the throttle linkage rubs on and moves the recoil handle and spacer around. Should I worry about this?

Third, What is the maximum voltage that the stock receiver can use? I would like to use rechargeables in it but sometimes my failsafe activates because of low voltage. Would it be bad to add one extra Ni-MH AA battery to it to up the voltage? I have some single AA battery holders lying around and could easily mount one some were on the truck to give it extra power. I noticed the rechargable hump packs have 5 cells in them so there is no reason why it should not work.

My shocks are leaking oil, is this common? I noticed from reading that some of you are running TMAXX shocks on your trucks. Do they make the truck easer to control and less likely to flip? Mine likes to get on three wheels around corners and I just hit a small bump with it today which somehow managed to send it flipping (rear first) end over end, breaking the antenna, badly cracking the rear corner of the body, and snapping one of the body mounts. I'm only on the forth tank and this was the first time I ran it with the body on as well. Fixed the antenna, taped the body, and glued the mount. I still can't figure out were the retaining clip went.

I also have a question about fuel. What is the difference between airplane nitro fuel and car nitro fuel? I am currently using Trinity Monster Power 20% but I have a container of older 25% airplane fuel taking up space in the basement.

This turned out to be quite a first post.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:18 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New, Have a few questions about my Volcano

1. i have the stx and have no problem and the sv is a little different so i may be wrong
2. i never worried about it and i have had my volcano for over 2 years so i wouldnt worry about it.
3. 7.2 or more even, adding another battery will give you 6 volts and that would be fine.
4. my shocks dont leak but make sure the cap on the top is tight and i dont remember if there is a cap on the bottom too but just check and make sure that it tight too. i always remarked on how good and stable the volcano is
5. airplane fuel usually has more oil in it

hope this helps and welcome to the redcat family
Old 01-18-2008, 10:42 PM
MadMatt2024

Thanks for the fast reply.
I guess I will add another battery or two to give it more power. Buying batteries isn't fun and if I can use my rechargeables that is great.

The top caps on the shocks are tight and there are none on the bottom that I can see. The oil is leaking out around the rod and it seems to only happen when I drive it. Would it be bad to flip the shocks so the rods point up instead of down?

Yes, it appears they did change the design on us.
STX

My SV. I have the shocks in a different position and can't even get the battery cover on.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:50 PM
ehroof

your the first person i have heard on here with that problem. i dont think you can turn the shocks upside down, the top cap may leak, you can change the o rings on the shocks or just get new ones, its always a good idea to upgrade.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:54 PM
webbl19

That is pretty close, are there any spacers on the shock mounts?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:25 PM
MadMatt2024

No, I can't see any way to move that shock back. The pictures on the Redcat site look the same as mine, with the spring rubbing on the battery box. In the pics the SV PRO has alot more shock clearance than the SV probably because the top plate is different. I just think that it should not rub and that I should be able to change my suspension settings and be able to put the battery cover on.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:15 AM
coostv

ORIGINAL: MadMatt2024

Thanks for the fast reply.
I guess I will add another battery or two to give it more power. Buying batteries isn't fun and if I can use my rechargeables that is great.

The top caps on the shocks are tight and there are none on the bottom that I can see. The oil is leaking out around the rod and it seems to only happen when I drive it. Would it be bad to flip the shocks so the rods point up instead of down?
Mine leak too. They just plain suck. About the only real negative thing I have to say about my truck. I do not think you can run them upside down, the caps will leak. I plan to just upgrade to the TMAXX shock. Mine rub on the battery box too.

Chris
Old 01-19-2008, 01:15 AM
Macanan

I believe I found the problem, Look at your rear lower arms, it appears you have the Tornado lower arms and not the Volcano lower arms It looks like that someone has converted a tornado to a volcano without adding the lower arms, the first picture is what suppose to be there and the second picture is what you have. And this URL is where you can get the right arms needed. If you look at the lower arm you will see that the Volano's slants back more, then how the tornado's do by coming straight out.

http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/...roducts_id/182
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16096.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	854750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30729.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	854751  
Old 01-19-2008, 01:24 AM
coostv

ORIGINAL: Macanan

I believe I found the problem, Look at your rear lower arms, it appears you have the Tornado lower arms and not the Volcano lower arms It looks like that someone has converted a tornado to a volcano without adding the lower arms, the first picture is what it's suppose to be there and the second picture is what you have. And this URL is where you can get the right arms needed.

That is interesting, if this is the case, Wind Toys or whoever produces these for Redcat built mine wrong too.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:26 AM
Macanan

Does your rear lower arms look like the first picture ? does the shocks bolt on the inside of the arm ? or the outside
Old 01-19-2008, 01:59 AM
Macanan

Okay I did some more research on this and it looks like that the arms are right but flawed, the first picture shows how they are which is flawed which will cause the shocks to hit the box, ordering these arms in the second picture will seem to take care of the problem.
If you will see that the shocks will bolt on the inside of the arm rather then the outside how it is bought, so My suggestion would be to order the arm that will work in your best interest.

Name:	Mk25925.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	854791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65247.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	854792  
Old 01-19-2008, 03:09 AM
Macanan

But I could be wrong but thats what it looks like to me, would have to confirm it with redcat or clarmont
Old 01-19-2008, 03:53 AM
MadMatt2024

That sort of makes sense. The strange thing is my parts list has the "incorrect" ones listed. I think the upper arm might also be different. Notice the front lower arms were also changed. These incorrect parts look stronger than the normal ones tho. Looks like someone didn't think a design change all the way through.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:21 AM
ehroof

where is dolgeville?

i dont think you have the wrong parts or the parts were made wrong, a mold is a mold, wait and lets see what other people say about your problem, i wish i had an sv to help you out , i am sure clermont (dennis) or someone with an sv will be here to give some input.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:24 AM
ranger4x4

i just looked and my volcano is exacly what yours is my shocks rub the battery box as well.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:45 PM
MadMatt2024

ORIGINAL: ehroof

where is dolgeville?
Its a small village just about in the middle of New York State.

I hope someone from Redcat sees this thread because I think something should be done about it.
Anybody tried swapping to the older suspension arms or battery box/upper plate?
Old 01-19-2008, 04:06 PM
ehroof

i have a place up by oneonta ny, (harpersfield). I go up there alot in the summer, maybe we will meet up.

I tried to do an stx to sv upgrade and there is just too much involved to do it. I dont think the sv arms will fit in the same place/way the sv arm do and visa versa
Old 01-19-2008, 07:20 PM
MadMatt2024

Oh well, I came up with a solution, sort of. The battery box cover was the part that was rubbing (were the screw goes) not the box itself. So, I cut half of the circle off and now it doesn't rub but it sure comes close. I also added the extra battery holder. No more failsafe tripping because of low voltage. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet and unfortunately probably won't for a while because it is going to be vary cold and right now we are getting some lake effect snow. I still have to run my fifth break-in tank before I can have some real fun.[sm=frown.gif] On the plus side my little brother found the body clip I lost in the crash before it snowed.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:53 PM
ehroof

lol, its funny how you can find stuff. its gonna be cold up there for the next few days bro, the pipes on my place up there froze a little over 2 weeks ago, they said it was like -11 one night. had a few breaks here and there.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Redharris

I had the same problem, (rubbing shock on battery pack Tab) but yours is a bit worse than mine was.
I'll tell you what I did to fix this problem in a minute, but first I want to say that you Do Not have the wrong Lower Arms.
The SV arms are totally different from the STX arms. (which are Pictured in the above posts). I know that the SV arms are not interchangeable with the STX arms, because Clermont accidently sent STX arms to my buddy who has an SV and they wont fit. For the record, Dennis @ Clermont took care of this problem Very Quickly..
My Fix.
I replaced my stock shocks with T-Maxx Shocks. T-Max shocks are bigger (larger Diameter) than the stockies, so they REALLY rubbed.
I took a Dremmel to the Battery box tab and removed it. Drilled a hole in the battery box and used a #6 screw (2 inches long) 2 washers and a lock nut from my local hardware store, to secure the battery box. Here are some Pics. From left to right they are as follows. From above. From above. From below. From the side.

Name:	Qo40177.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	855528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24090.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	855529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92309.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	855530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37387.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	855531  
Old 01-20-2008, 12:17 AM
MadMatt2024

I contemplated doing that and probably will sooner or later but for now my fix seems to work. I still find it strange that something like this slipped through. How do those T-Maxx shocks work compared to the stock ones? Mine are already leaking and I will eventually have to replace them.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Redharris

LOL! (laughing WITH you not AT you). I blew my stock shocks out running around on a baseball diamond and bumping around the outfield grass!. Long story short. The shocks are the weakest part of the Volcano, IMHO. They leak and although they are (technically) rebuildable, It is not practical to do so.
The T-Maxx shocks make a World of difference. I land good sized jumps without bottoming out. They dont leak very much (they ALL leak at least a little bit). They are completely rebuildable. They are cheap (less than $30 shipped for a set of 8 on E-Bay). If you are a Hard Driver, then you will appreciate the upgrade.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:10 AM
kuppler

im with Redharris on this i also did my T-Maxx Shocks and they are %100 times better then the stock....
here are a few pics of my mod....

Name:	Ge95204.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	855622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11251.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	855623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48869.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	855624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf93972.jpg
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	855625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf50156.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	855626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lb46456.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	855627  
Old 01-20-2008, 03:01 PM
jaybird84

just got my volcano truck and did the break in and now i am seeing more smoke from the carb then i think is right. its the factory setting so my guess its just the excess gas burning off is this right and should ii be worried about the smoke. and my control is acting funny the foward is reverse and the reverse is forward how can i change that.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:10 PM
ehroof

you will see a switch for reversing the servo's on the remote, you mean smoke coming from the exhaust right? if its not getting hot and running good, dont worry about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.