Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Battery and Charger Upgrade for Futaba 3PM Radio System?

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Battery and Charger Upgrade for Futaba 3PM Radio System?

Old 01-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Redharris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery and Charger Upgrade for Futaba 3PM Radio System?

Battery and Charger Upgrade for Futaba 3PM 75 MHz FM Radio System?
I am running a VolcanoSV and just Bought a Monsoon. I already Know that I should Upgrade the steering servo for the Truggy. Not sure which servo to get though.

1.) My Pistol Grip Transmitter uses 8 AA cells. I want to upgrade to Rechargables. Futaba offers a NiCd battery (NT8F700B). Is this a good battery or can/should I get better?

2.) The Receiver Battery I have for the Truggy is a 6 volt rechargable Hump Pack NI-MH 1/2 A, 1100mAh, (5 cells). Can I Upgrade to increase Voltage? Would that be Bad for my servos? (Futaba S3003 for throttle and whatever I upgrade to for the Steering)

3.) Now I will need a Charger for the Batteries. Can I get one that will charge in LESS than 15 hours (Stock Futaba charger). Can someone recommend a good, fast charger. Preferably, one that will work well for an all electric Crawler that I have my eyes on. Lol...

I posted in the RADIO Thread but got ignored cuz everyone has Spectrum Radios and just say to Upgrade myself.

I'm relatively New to the RC world and all this radio stuff is a little hard for me to wrap my head around. Help will be appreciated.
Thanks....
Old 01-26-2008, 05:03 PM
rclynx

Default RE: Battery and Charger Upgrade for Futaba 3PM Radio System?

Did you read your manuel to see if you can use AA rechargables in the TX some of them do. As far as an all round charger at the best price that I know is the [link=http://xtm-dealer.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=198]SPORT CHARGER[/link] There are a lot of choices for batteries out there..........you could even use the Gorilla 4600 hump pack if you want to spend a lot of money, but as far a raising the voltage you never want to go over 6 volts. There will be a lot of stories about what works come in but most all of them will, its just a matter of choice. There are a few meat heads that will only give you one way to go but just do a little research before you make your choice[&o]

Theres one now
Old 01-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Kemo

duratrax has incredibly cheap intellipeak (series name) chargers that are peak chargers. You'll need to have your own output plugs for each device, but its a lot easier to have one of those intellipeak chargers and to use your own plugs/connectors.

when you do invest in a peak charger, keep in mind that you should never charge more than 1 amp when charging your hump pack and the batteries in your radio. Depending on the capacity of your hump pack, it'll take about 1-2 hours to charge. For your radio, it too will take some time, but nowhere nearly as long. If you get 2400 mAh AA rechargable NiMH cells for your radio, expect 2-3 hours at 1 Amp charging rate.

Charger: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUF43&P=ML
Plug for Futaba radio: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAFJ0&P=7
Hump Pack Plug: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXH440&P=7 You could use the plug from a bad on/off switch.

I know the description of the charger says not to charge smaller than sub-c cells, but they also make plugs/cords to charge cells in your radio made for the charger... that just so happen to be AA cells.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Redharris

Yah. I read the manual. It says I can use Rechargebles in the Transmitter. It gives me p/n NT8F700B for the NiCd battery pack for the Transmitter, and says to use the "Special Charger" and that it takes 15 Hours to Charge. That seems like a long time to me!
I already use AA batteries for everything I run, 2 Volcanoes and a Monsoon. I am going Broke buying batteries. Thats why I want to use Rechargeables.
Thanks for the Charger link.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Kemo

Use these cells, or something similar. Nicd develops a memory in them which effects its life. NiMH cells do, but at a rate so low that its not damaging to the cell.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKYC8&P=SM
Old 01-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Redharris

Thanks Kemo....
But if I use 8 batteries(in my Transmitter) at 1.2v each, that equals 9.6 v as opposed to the 12v I get from 1.5v AA's. Doesnt Voltage matter? Wont a lower voltage trip my failsafe?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:25 PM
pede_187

Yes but they are about 1.5v when they are fullycharged.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Kemo

your failsafe doesn't plug into your transmitter, only the receiver. Failsafes are designed to shut down at low voltages... especially from rechargeable packs for receivers.
Keep in mind that NiMH cells will hold up a better punch as its being used when compared to alkalines.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Macanan

ORIGINAL: Redharris

Yah. I read the manual. It says I can use Rechargebles in the Transmitter. It gives me p/n NT8F700B for the NiCd battery pack for the Transmitter, and says to use the "Special Charger" and that it takes 15 Hours to Charge. That seems like a long time to me!
I already use AA batteries for everything I run, 2 Volcanoes and a Monsoon. I am going Broke buying batteries. Thats why I want to use Rechargeables.
Thanks for the Charger link.
Okay here's what you need to do, go to Walmart and buy these batteries and charger, note the 2650mAh NiMH and it only takes 15 minutes for a full charge or you can order it online here http://www.ambientweather.com/dbcef15nc.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75784.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	863064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62370.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	863065  
Old 01-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Kemo

well... 30 minutes unless you want 50% charged
Old 01-27-2008, 10:32 PM
bash_N_corn

I use energizer NiMH for my radio, I bought 4 AA plus a quick charger that also has a dc power cord so you can also charge on your way to the track, it cost me $25 at Target. Then a pack of 4 AA's to make a total of 8 for $10 more. They are all rated 1.2v but when I put them into my radio "fresh" the radio displays a supply of 10.8 volts. The batteries are 2500 mAh each and the charger fills 4 of them in about 20 minutes, so 40 minutes total charging time.

PS IMHO NiCd sucks!
Old 01-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Macanan

ORIGINAL: Kemo

This is after only 15 minutes of charge, which the charger wont allow it to charge over its limit, it shuts its self down in 15 minutes because its at full peak charge
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93524.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	863109  
Old 01-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Redharris

Awright! NOW were Gettin somewhere! I should have Known not to stray outside the REDCAT threads askin for info! Only thing left I want to know about is DISCHARGE. Do I need to fully Discharge the NIMH batteries in the TX and the RX, or does that only apply to to the Big battery packs in Electric cars?

Thanks for helpin me out !
Old 01-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Macanan

Awright! NOW were Gettin somewhere! I should have Known not to stray outside the REDCAT threads askin for info! Only thing left I want to know about is DISCHARGE. Do I need to fully Discharge the NIMH batteries in the TX and the RX, or does that only apply to to the Big battery packs in Electric cars?

http://www.duracell.com/products/faq.asp
Q-08
Should Duracell NiMH batteries be fully dis-charged before re-charging? Do they suffer from a ‘memory effect’?
A: NiMH batteries do not suffer from a memory effect and it is OK to charge them even when they are not fully dis-charged.

Q-12
How many times can I charge my Duracell NiMH batteries?
A: Duracell NiMH batteries can be re-charged hundreds of times making them great value!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: Macanan

ORIGINAL: Kemo

This is after only 15 minutes of charge, which the charger wont allow it to charge over its limit, it shuts its self down in 15 minutes because its at full peak charge

I meant for you to charge all 8
Old 01-29-2008, 02:07 AM
Redharris

ORIGINAL: Macanan

http://www.duracell.com/products/faq.asp
Q-08
Should Duracell NiMH batteries be fully dis-charged before re-charging? Do they suffer from a ‘memory effect’?
A: NiMH batteries do not suffer from a memory effect and it is OK to charge them even when they are not fully dis-charged.

Q-12
How many times can I charge my Duracell NiMH batteries?
A: Duracell NiMH batteries can be re-charged hundreds of times making them great value!
Thanks Macanan. I'd say that about covers it for Now. Im gonna hit Walmart n Pick up the highest mAh rechargeables I can find, just to get me started. Later Im gonna search for a charger that will charge /discharge LiPo's, cuz I got my eye on a Crawler, and I Think I'll end up puttin LiPo's in it. What about it Kemo, you have a Crawler dont you? Do you use the new Batteries or do you still use the NiHm's in your Electric cars. Cuz that Charger you recommended looks like a good deal if I am not gonna use Li Po batteries.