Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

buggy into truggy converstion q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:27 PM
TNIGS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buggy into truggy converstion q's

i wrecked 2 of my buggy rims and i need some new ones. so i decided to ordera set of 4 volcano tires. i also am going to order some plastic volcano sock tower and braces b/c there realy cheap. will my tornado shock work with these new towers. also i was looking at single speeds b/c i heard u should do that when your puting bigger tires on it, and i cant find a lower gear set for it. i want to order off of redcat. the only one i could find was for the shock wave and its the same gear ratio as 1st gear on my 2 speed. any idea's
Old 01-27-2008, 09:34 PM
webbl19

Default RE: buggy into truggy converstion q's

I dont think the tornado shocks are as long as the volcano shocks. and why not just order the gear set for the volcano?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:37 PM
TNIGS

i didint think the transmission would fit in it. also i like the direct drive setup alot more. way simplere than a trany
Old 01-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Macanan

The bb shocks are shorter not by much, it doesn't allow for the arms to go full bottom, but they will work, with the added hight of the tires your getting it will still raise it up a little more, I'm using my bb shocks in my buggy to Tsunami conversion still.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Macanan

And as the gearing goes from what I posted before this is what I'm using.
1 x RCE10423 13 Tooth Vented Racing Clutch Bell.............. $15.95
1 x 05126 Single Speed Transmission (Center Gear Box).... $15.00
Old 01-27-2008, 09:45 PM
TNIGS

ORIGINAL: Macanan

And as the gearing goes from what I posted before this is what I'm using.
1 x RCE10423 13 Tooth Vented Racing Clutch Bell.............. $15.95
1 x 05126 Single Speed Transmission (Center Gear Box).... $15.00
so thats the 47 tooth spur gear in the gear box??? also dose redcat sell a 13 tooth clutch bell???
Old 01-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Macanan

I got mine from http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/catalog/index.php and I do believe clermont sells them to, I'm not sure how many tooth gear this is I didn't ask him, I just got it.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 PM
5lagd

TNIGS give this guy an email for your parts. Hes Canadian so no hold up at the border for your order and he is a really good guy too. he ships really quick . [email protected] (Redcat Canada Dealer)
Old 01-27-2008, 10:16 PM
TNIGS

dose anyone know if redcat sells a 13 tooth clutch bell and if it will fit with a 47 or 42 tooth spur gear
Old 01-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Redharris

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

I was only kidding, actually it improves the top end because of the way the factory trans is set up, it limits the speed to what we all know as 30 ish mph, but you actually gain alittle speed on the top side when you change to the single gear. It more or less makes better use of the power curve. I agree with you, about the gearing though, there is no way to get a gain on both ends unless in this case you go from a crappy dragging rattly over redundant piece of crap like that. Now if you were to put a higher gear on there of course your going to be laggy from the bottom end till you hit optimal speed for the gearing, but in Dennises diffence he went from a seriously limiting drive train to a larger single center direct drive gear and tested a bunch of different clutch bells till they found the gearing that would give you the best take off and a bit more top end.

Check it out my Volcano:
[link=http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t174/AllAboutFunHobbies/?action=view&current=VolcanoSVwithsinglegearupgrade.flv]http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t174/AllAboutFunHobbies/?action=view&current=VolcanoSVwithsinglegearupgrade.flv[/link]
Heres the video of a 13 tooth Volcano. I think he has the same direct drive conversion too. Should work on your Tornado.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:17 PM
TNIGS

ORIGINAL: Redharris

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

I was only kidding, actually it improves the top end because of the way the factory trans is set up, it limits the speed to what we all know as 30 ish mph, but you actually gain alittle speed on the top side when you change to the single gear. It more or less makes better use of the power curve. I agree with you, about the gearing though, there is no way to get a gain on both ends unless in this case you go from a crappy dragging rattly over redundant piece of crap like that. Now if you were to put a higher gear on there of course your going to be laggy from the bottom end till you hit optimal speed for the gearing, but in Dennises diffence he went from a seriously limiting drive train to a larger single center direct drive gear and tested a bunch of different clutch bells till they found the gearing that would give you the best take off and a bit more top end.

Check it out my Volcano:
[link=http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t174/AllAboutFunHobbies/?action=view&current=VolcanoSVwithsinglegearupgrade.flv]http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t174/AllAboutFunHobbies/?action=view&current=VolcanoSVwithsinglegearupgrade.flv[/link]
Heres the video of a 13 tooth Volcano. I think he has the same direct drive conversion too. Should work on your Tornado.
would u happen to know how big of spur gear he has???
Old 01-28-2008, 01:28 PM
TNIGS

would a 16 tooth clutch bell make much more of a difference from a 17 tooth???
Old 01-28-2008, 02:33 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would have a little more low end power, not much of a difference
Old 01-28-2008, 02:46 PM
TNIGS

ORIGINAL: ehroof

it would have a little more low end power, not much of a difference
what size of clutch bell would work with a 47 tooth spur gear on a tornado with volcano tires on it???
Old 01-28-2008, 02:48 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want torque, do the 13 tooth hpi, all around try the 15 tooth, thats what i run in my volcano with the stock trans in it.