Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

dependability question

Old 02-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Airmicro
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dependability question

Thinking of putting some Redcats in stock here at my shop, and have been wondering about their dependability! Are the electronics worth owning, or not. I don't wanna sell a line of R/C's where the customer needs to replace the electrics right off. What about all the other items, like engine, drivetrain etc?

Please give honest answers, not one way biased!

Thanks
Old 02-05-2008, 02:56 PM
webbl19

Default RE: dependability question

I like them, and wish my hobby shop sold there parts. My nitro is not a Redcat but it is the same thing. I have been making mine a Redcat. I just got the Tsunami electric and it runs pretty good. I would suggest you sell them at your store, for the price they will be a big hit. I refered the Tornado to my buddy and he is happy with it. The electronis are not the best but they work for beginners. Just my opinion though.

Also i just got the VX.18 and that thing runs good, zooms around pretty quick. Never have had a problem with it yet. Have about 8 tanks through it right now, and it starts up on the first or second pull everytime. Unless its cold outside, then it takes a few more pulls.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:01 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have all of their products along with everyone elses too, lol. the radio system is a typical rtr, not the best but they do have a 30 day warranty on electronics and seeing that you own a shop, not may companies will warranty a radio once out of the box and used. They are well worth the money, especially the 1/8th's.

Their electrics with the brushless systems are excellent, the 1/10 bugggy will wheelie with it.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:52 PM
vnmsgt

I have had much more expensive trucks crap out the servos and radio way faster than some of my redcats which I still have or had the some of the stock servo's in. I can say for a fact the servos are better than any RTR Ofna servo's I have gotten in my buggies!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:19 PM
{GBI}Harryball

They are well worth giving them a look. The 1/8 scale are a very good product. If your worried about the electronics, you can carry the RTM product. I have been very happy with the redcat products that I own. Overall they are very hard to beat. Send wade at allaboutfunhobbies a PM if you want a dealers opinion. He talks a staight game No BS.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:35 PM
AffordableRC

Well coming from a dealer and a user I can tell you that they are a great product for the money. I have owned 2 Associated electrics and 3 Traxxas nitro cars and all 3 of my Redcats have run far better then any of the others. To be perfectly honest each Redcat seems to have minor bugs that need to be worked out but this is part of learning and the RC experience in general. A couple examples of these bugs would be adjusting throttle linkage, adding locktite to an occasional bolt, things like that. I truly believe Redcat is a great product and I think they could just be the new name in nitro. The whole Chinese imported RC thing is not new by any means; what is new is having a well structured company to back the product with parts and customer support.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:43 PM
ranger4x4

i don't have the experience some of these guys do in fact i don't have any at all. i'm new to this nitro thing. i have a volcano sv with the vx .18 and love it. i've broken a couple parts now and got it fixed. and ready to do some more snow bashing with it. my buddy has a tmaxx but he is scared to run it in the snow after all the trouble he had just taking it out 2 or 3 times. he is waiting on his redcat volcano sv pro. he said his tmaxx is gonna be a shelf queen once he has his bad ***** basher truck. plus the engine replacement program can't be beat.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:57 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: AffordableRC

To be perfectly honest each Redcat seems to have minor bugs that need to be worked out but this is part of learning and the RC experience in general. A couple examples of these bugs would be adjusting throttle linkage, adding locktite to an occasional bolt, things like that.

All rtr cars need some adjustments and loctite added to screws, hpi, associated, kyosho, they all do, they come with a basic setup but all rtr need some fine tuning to get them 100%
Old 02-05-2008, 06:34 PM
codokas

ORIGINAL: Airmicro

Thinking of putting some Redcats in stock here at my shop, and have been wondering about their dependability! Are the electronics worth owning, or not. I don't wanna sell a line of R/C's where the customer needs to replace the electrics right off. What about all the other items, like engine, drivetrain etc?

Thanks
I own 3 cats and I hammer the heck out of them-I race them and bash them-Ready for this-ALL 3 have their original electronics in them
I had to replace one motor and did under Redcats replacement program--and that car ran flat out all summer long
My advise= and I have no interests in Redcat--do it my fiend--you won't be sorry
DOUG

Old 02-05-2008, 06:35 PM
ranger4x4

hey i do know what is 100%. the redcat engine replacement program. who else in the hobby industry does that? even if you want to upgrade your engine it doesn't matter. they still honor it. there isn't nothing perfect in this world, whether your talking rc trucks or the big gmc or ford or dodge worktrucks. they all have their weak and strong points. no matter who makes them.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

feel free to give me a call. I have been with them since they started. Can tell you pretty much anything about them. I also put alot of time in them to improve things and it shows 352 243 7700 My store numbe.r
Old 02-05-2008, 08:17 PM
firebird78

id say do it...newbie to rc and prolly woulda never got into the hobby if the redcat products werent so reasonable priced...I abuse my cane pretty hard and for the most part it takes it...havent broken a thing that wasnt caused by driver error..make sure you tell your custumers about the awsome product support they will recieve here...ehroof, clermont, and a whole bunch others wont lead them the wrong way...theres some real quality in the support all the people provide here
Old 02-05-2008, 08:32 PM
AffordableRC

ORIGINAL: ehroof

All rtr cars need some adjustments and loctite added to screws, hpi, associated, kyosho, they all do, they come with a basic setup but all rtr need some fine tuning to get them 100%
No doubt, the things I listed are normal items that need to be tweaked out of the box for any brand RC. I also wanted to comment on the electronics you asked about. The stock electronics are just fine for your average bashing. Just like pretty much any brand RC you will want to upgrade to better servos if you plan on racing competitively. I am currently running the stock electronics in all 3 of my Redcats with the exception of one steering servo that went bad.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Redharris

Thanks
As a Consumer, and a relative new comer to RC's and Nitros, I could not justify spending $400 to $600 on my first Nitro. I got a Volcano SV for less than any other Brand name Vehicle. That is what got me Started in this hobby. Now I own a Monsoon that I KNOW is comparable to any Truggy out there as far as Quality is concerned (still at a very good price).
If you were to stock Redcat at your LHS, you would attract the entry level buyer with a Great Price. That Buyer (like me) turns into a Hobbyist with multiple vehicles and a need for all the supplies that support the hobby. I have spent hundreds of $$$ purchasing Fuel, Tires/rims, failsafes, magazines,etc at my LHS.
As for dependability, I have had the standard problems that Every newb has with tuning a nitro. Once I learned the ropes ,the vehicles performed very well. I have yet to replace an engine on 3 vehicles that I own, And the Monsoon is positively bulletproof!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Airmicro
My Feedback: (2)

Ok, thanks for all the answers so far! Yeah, the tuning and stuff like that won't be a problem as I offer that with every new R/C someone buys from us. I will help you get it started, tuned etc. I feel if you buy it from me, then I should help you get going, especially if you're new to the hobby!

The electronics question was more of "are they even worth running" not should people upgrade because they are gonna race! Thats a given with all RTR's if you gonna get real serious with it. I just make sure half of the ones I sell aren't crapping out servo's, rx's etc. every other one I sell!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Redharris

The electronics are Basic (cheap,,lol) but I never had a problem actually running them.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:55 AM
necrosis
Banned

The redcat hurricane pro I got has been kicking the mutants across existence since I got it.
Screams with power . I got the digital fm radio with it and it has been working perfectly .
Old 02-07-2008, 02:54 AM
kuppler

Ok, thanks for all the answers so far! Yeah, the tuning and stuff like that won't be a problem as I offer that with every new R/C someone buys from us. I will help you get it started, tuned etc. I feel if you buy it from me, then I should help you get going, especially if you're new to the hobby!

The electronics question was more of "are they even worth running" not should people upgrade because they are gonna race! Thats a given with all RTR's if you gonna get real serious with it. I just make sure half of the ones I sell aren't crapping out servo's, rx's etc. every other one I sell!
The radio is a basic RTR radio. it is Cheap. BUT!!! it works Well.. The Redcat Volcano SV Was my 1st nitro... Thanks To Ehroof, Clermont Hobby, and all the rest of the RCU people have helped me out so much... I think you should sale Redcat... and when you do Give them this site so they can talk about things and if they need help... Im even trying to get my LHS to cary Redcat... everythimg i go in there.. they look at my truck.. hehe.. they are starting to remember my truck... The last time i went in they said your the one with the REDCAT.. right/?.. i said YOU KNOW IT,,,,,,im still working on them but i think they will soon..
So you better jump on the band wagon and get rdy for the new NAME in the RC world.....

Adam
Old 02-07-2008, 07:46 AM
ranger4x4

the hobbytown in grand forks nd. is starting to carry redcat parts. and the vehicles. i was shocked to see that when i walked in there. the guys there tell me that the radios that come with them well the am anyways are "offbrand" futaba. but i'm not sure if it's true or not. the servos are the same part #'s
Old 02-08-2008, 10:22 PM
taylor28

All I can tell you is that I love my tsunami. I wish my lhs's carried Redcat. There are five that I know about within 15 miles from me and none of them carry them.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:28 PM
pede_187

ORIGINAL: ehroof

ORIGINAL: AffordableRC

To be perfectly honest each Redcat seems to have minor bugs that need to be worked out but this is part of learning and the RC experience in general. A couple examples of these bugs would be adjusting throttle linkage, adding locktite to an occasional bolt, things like that.

Agreed 100%. If you don't believe me look at all the consumer reviews of almost every Cen. It says that not only does it need loctite (all do), but EVERY screw was loose.

They are great cars and can't be beat for the money. The stock electronics in the 1/10 electrics aren't the best but they'll do. I'd say the stock esc is good for a 19t motor when geared propery.