Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

electric or nitro?????

Old 02-01-2008, 09:57 PM
5lagd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric or nitro?????

when comparing stock cars what is the fastest and most durable? and when upgraded?
I hope this doesnt start any fights.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:04 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: electric or nitro?????

stock fastest: nitro
fastest or quickest when modded: electric (brushless, lipo)

electric motors just have serious instant torque and power and high rpm's

nitro has the sound though and the longer run times unless you spend some big $ on batteries/charger
Old 02-01-2008, 10:59 PM
tri_county_racing

I agree, nitro is fastest out of the box. But electric with brushless and a good lipo battery will have instant power.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:57 AM
TNIGS

will a hoped up eletric beat a hoped up nitro. the raly fast cars i have seen are all nitro. seems like eletric have beter acaleration tho
Old 02-02-2008, 02:11 AM
Redharris

I saw a magazine article that said that the fastest rc car in the world was electric. Went 138 MPH if I am remembering correctly. Nitro engine car went 111 Mph (I think). The Electric guys like to Brag that they are gettig Faster than Nitro, but that kind of speed is Double the cost ( right now,anyway) of what a Really fast Nitro engine Vehicle would cost.
Ehroof is right. Electric engines reach Maximum torque instantly and Max RPM almost instantly. No way can Gas engines compare to that.

Lol. You should get whichever one INTERESTS you the most and not worry too much about speed. They are both fast enuff to shatter into tiny peices when you hit a curb at 25 MPH. [X(] Trust me on THAT! I am a Nitro newb and have Some Experience (cough,cough) with runnin into things.....
Old 02-02-2008, 02:14 AM
TNIGS

yea i agree. also i cant afford a million batterys to go bashing for a day. i would consider it maybe if they made a 5 min charger and the batery lasted 20 mins.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:41 AM
bigbains

I would like to put my two cents into this topic ! I had a nitro in December and I thought that it was fun and great when it was running fine, but when I started to get problems with the nitro engine I was a lost cause. I went to electric and for the past month I've been better than happy with the performance and maintance of the electric. I found that repairing and cleaning and understanding the electric was easy. All I have done so far is a brushless system and tire/wheel and pinion upgrade and I am loving it. So this is my two cents on why I own an electric.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:50 AM
TNIGS

how much driving time do u get before you have to go in to charge ur batterys???
Old 02-02-2008, 03:59 AM
Kemo

if you invest in a good pair of lipo packs above 3500 mAh, they'll last you a good while before you need to recharge.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:33 AM
Redharris

ORIGINAL: bigbains

I would like to put my two cents into this topic ! I had a nitro in December and I thought that it was fun and great when it was running fine, but when I started to get problems with the nitro engine I was a lost cause. I went to electric and for the past month I've been better than happy with the performance and maintance of the electric. I found that repairing and cleaning and understanding the electric was easy. All I have done so far is a brushless system and tire/wheel and pinion upgrade and I am loving it. So this is my two cents on why I own an electric.
Yeah nitro can be a challenge if you are mot mechanically inclined. But electrics can have problems too. I saw a guy at a park runnin his electric Traxxas Rustler. SOMETHING happened to it (short circuit somewhere) and it Smoked and literally melted part of the truck.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:04 AM
pede_187

6 cells works pretty good. If you really want tons of speed for speed runs, wire the 6 cell packs in series for 12 cells

I'll have a video up on 6 cells and 12 cells soon
Old 02-02-2008, 09:19 AM
need2drag
My Feedback: (1)

My 2 cents is like this. Both electric and nitro are cool. I have never really owned and electric car that cost more than $120, but that only kept me happy for so long. Then I got bored with it, and got tired of waiting for batteries to charge so I could play again. The car I had for $120 I actually spent more like $180 cuz I had 3 battery packs and chargers. And somehow always found a way to catch up to the batteries. The thing with the electric cars, is you really only get good power for the first couple of minutes, then as the battery dies, your car slows down. With Nitro you have the same amount of power, until the gas tank is empty. So for a good 15-20 minutes at the least you have the same amount of power from start to finish where as with an electric you are slowly losing power. I also really like the sound of a Nitro car. Doesn't get any better than that. That is my 2 cents.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:22 AM
pede_187

ORIGINAL: need2drag

My 2 cents is like this. Both electric and nitro are cool. I have never really owned and electric car that cost more than $120, but that only kept me happy for so long. Then I got bored with it, and got tired of waiting for batteries to charge so I could play again. The car I had for $120 I actually spent more like $180 cuz I had 3 battery packs and chargers. And somehow always found a way to catch up to the batteries. The thing with the electric cars, is you really only get good power for the first couple of minutes, then as the battery dies, your car slows down. With Nitro you have the same amount of power, until the gas tank is empty. So for a good 15-20 minutes at the least you have the same amount of power from start to finish where as with an electric you are slowly losing power. I also really like the sound of a Nitro car. Doesn't get any better than that. That is my 2 cents.
actually, with a good battery, you will get 20 minutes before it starts to slow down.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:29 AM
need2drag

really??? I never had a good battery then. But for what I spent on my last good electric car, and for how it performed, I would definitely go with Nitro, but of course I never really got deep into an electric car. I am not dogging electric cars by all means, I am just saying I like the Nitro, and gave my reasoning. I would actually like to see one of those really nice electric cars...do you got a video?
Old 02-02-2008, 09:41 AM
pede_187

ORIGINAL: need2drag

really??? I never had a good battery then. But for what I spent on my last good electric car, and for how it performed, I would definitely go with Nitro, but of course I never really got deep into an electric car. I am not dogging electric cars by all means, I am just saying I like the Nitro, and gave my reasoning. I would actually like to see one of those really nice electric cars...do you got a video?
I should have a video up soon.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:50 AM
need2drag

cool. I will let you know when I see it, and what I think.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:13 AM
tokenring

I think electric is better for the beginner or the person who has less time to maybe work on them, even though they can me made faster. I have a 1/10 electric truck that has gone from a 27d to a 17d to a 13d motor, and will be soon a brushless system. My first two changes of the motors only cost me $21 each so $42 in all for the first 2 upgrades and the truck almost hits 30mph. If you get a good charger, plus a few batteries like 3 or 4, you can run as long as you need that day providing you have a charger with you. I charge my batteries at 4amps and its quick. I'm going to invest in a car lighter converter so I can bring my charger with me. I have 4 batteries (1800, 3000, 4600 and a 5000).

I'm also most likely going to get a monsoon as soon as the season opens to see how it goes at the track up hear in Hamilton. I know everyone will be looking at me and saying "oh boy, here comes a monsoon" but I'll show them ;-)

This is the track:

http://hardcoreracersrc.ca/

I would suggest anyone here that is a real RedCat enthusiast to look at the page and tell me if you can notice any Monsoon's in the pictures. Maybe show me which one if any???

take a look at my newest youtube bashing video with my 1/10. Just using this for warm up until I get my 1/8 nitro!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cGLpRqazI3w (maybe give me a little comment if you can... ;-)

AB
Old 02-02-2008, 11:41 AM
bluecaka69

My opinon is the same as ehroofs but if you cant make up your mind same some more money and buy both thats what i did and I could not be happier oth that decision cause not I have the many options as to what I can drive at any givin moment like if its freezing cold out and i need to get an rc fix pull out the micro t and drive in house you just need to weight out your options and get what you can both nitros and electrics have pros and cons
Old 02-02-2008, 01:37 PM
ehroof

exactly, electric is easier to use and maintain but nitro is nitro. they are all part of the hobby, i like to work on the nitro's, if it was just pull and go, it would be boring, thats why its a hobby, some people build models, if they came put together then where would the hobby be? You would be a collector then. lol
Old 02-02-2008, 02:25 PM
AJsToyz

Yeh , but theres nothing wrong with collecting either ! The nice thing about electrics is you pack it up , plug it in and run. Little fuss for the most part. I do like nitro's though , if you have a gallong of fuel and don't hit to many things you've got a good long fun day ahead.

How you been Eddie ?? I still have the Tornado , getting the planes ready for spring , and most important , I still have a job !!! [X(] Thats like a bonus there!
Old 02-02-2008, 02:36 PM
ehroof

Hey AJ, things have been better, my wife had to have 2 brain surgerys in december and spent christmas in cornell medical center, almost a month all together. She was home for new years though. She has a long recovery ahead of her, 3-5 months but she is expected to make a full recovery. I havent worked much the last 2 months, thank god she was good with money or i would have a bigger collection of rc's and no savings and be out on the street. Will start working more and more as time goes on. The neurosurgeons said its a miracle that she is alive and more of a miracle since she seems to have no brain damage, she had one anurysm that ruptured on dec 5th, had surgery on the 6th and had another one on the other side repaired on dec 26th, she has on more on the back of the brain but its too small to "clip" so we will find out more on feb 7th.

As bad as it sounds, i am extreemly happy and feel blessed that she is with us, she is the best thing that has ever happenend to me and i dont know what i would do without her.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:24 PM
AJsToyz

Its good to hear she should be fine. Next to that , makes job concerns sound minor. I hope all goes well , and we'll be thinking of you and your wife.

Take care.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:26 PM
ehroof

thanks bro
Old 02-02-2008, 10:22 PM
5lagd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ0Fv...eature=related over 200 mph nitro. lol
Old 02-02-2008, 10:30 PM
TNIGS

lol thats not a rc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.