Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

SH .28 Backplate

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:04 PM
CORR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SH .28 Backplate

What backplate will fit the .28 SH engine? (not rotostart) I want to replace the pullstart with a regular backplate and use a starter box.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:05 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SH .28 Backplate

ask clermont, i bet he knows, lol. maybe he can chime in
Old 02-02-2008, 09:25 PM
TNIGS

just leave ur pull start on, then if somthin go's wrong with ur box u have a backup
Old 02-02-2008, 09:33 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: TNIGS

just leave ur pull start on, then if somthin go's wrong with ur box u have a backup
You cannot do that because the pullstart backing plate makes the motor sit up higher and then the flywheel is not low enough for a bumpbox. With the bumpstart backing plate it lowers the motor enough to use the flywheel.

I bought a sportwerks bumpstart backing plate for clermont hobby and it works perfect. Here is the link for it.

[link]http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/servlet/the-324/Back-plate/Detail[/link]
Old 02-02-2008, 09:39 PM
CORR

Ahhh..perfect. That is exactly what I need. Thanks

Almost forgot..is there anything special I need to do or watch out for when replacing the backplate? I thought I read somewhere to make sure the piston is TDC when removing it.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:08 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: CORR

Ahhh..perfect. That is exactly what I need. Thanks

Almost forgot..is there anything special I need to do or watch out for when replacing the backplate? I thought I read somewhere to make sure the piston is TDC when removing it.
Not that I know of. I just unbolt the old backing plate and install the new one. Just make sure the motor is clean so you do not get any dirt in it and around the oring of the new backplate so it will seal good.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

since you will be removing the internal one way bearing, it doesn't matter. It will just bolt right up.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:23 PM
CORR

Sweeet. Thanks guys[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-09-2008, 05:17 AM
martrix

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: TNIGS

You cannot do that because the pullstart backing plate makes the motor sit up higher and then the flywheel is not low enough for a bumpbox. With the bumpstart backing plate it lowers the motor enough to use the flywheel.

I bought a sportwerks bumpstart backing plate for clermont hobby and it works perfect. Here is the link for it.

[link]http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/servlet/the-324/Back-plate/Detail[/link]
I am also looking to convert my SH28 to a bump start. (Dennis, where are ya? P3 Mod? ) vnmsgt, your link to Clermonts non-pull start back plate didn't work, I assume it is this one? http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...k-plate/Detail

Dont you have to grind off the small pin thats on the end of the crank shaft?
Old 03-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

yeah sprotwerks that is the one. No grinding.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Redharris

I would like to do That on my Monsoon.
I have heard a LOT of different things about Lowering the engine.(it works....it Doesnt work...it doesnt mesh up with the Tranny... there is no problem and it works great. ..etc)
How EXACTLY is it done? Any MODS or Parts required? Did I Miss a Post where someone did it (and posted pictures)?

I remember a Post by vnmsgt where he was asking the Same question as me. I Guess he Figured it out!

vnmsgt....Throw a bone to a brother! Help me out here.....
Thnx.....
Old 03-09-2008, 11:23 PM
martrix

ORIGINAL: Clermont Hobby

yeah sprotwerks that is the one. No grinding.
OK cheers. Include it in my invoice when you get to it.

I guess you dont have to grind off the small crank shaft *** as the new backplate has the channel for it to travel around in.

ORIGINAL: Redharris

I would like to do That on my Monsoon.
I have heard a LOT of different things about Lowering the engine.(it works....it Doesnt work...it doesnt mesh up with the Tranny... there is no problem and it works great. ..etc)
How EXACTLY is it done? Any MODS or Parts required? Did I Miss a Post where someone did it (and posted pictures)?

I remember a Post by vnmsgt where he was asking the Same question as me. I Guess he Figured it out!

vnmsgt....Throw a bone to a brother! Help me out here.....
Thnx.....
Well if no one can provide a link I will eventually be doing this to my monsoon. Also getting rid of the long nose clutch bell and going to the standard Hurricane/Bazooka clutch bell.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Redharris

AAHHH....... so you DO have to change up a few things.....I thought that might be the Case.

I just dont wanna have to RE-invent the Wheel, you know what im sayin?

If someone who has done this could explain the Process, I'd be Mightily Grateful....

And a Picture is worth a Thousand Words
Old 03-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Sandmanvnvmc

I have been using that sportwerks peice for about 10 months on the SH.28. It has a groove so you do not need to grind the pin, it bolts right on. My partner uses the SH in a Mugen truggy works perfect. On the REDCATS you need to lower the motor by using just the motor mounts and not using the spacers that raise the motor up. I'm not sure you can eliminate the clutch bell that REDCAT uses as you would have to mount the motor closer to the front of the truggy and I don't think that is possible, REDCAT does make an 11 or 12 tooth clutch bell for the Monsoon and Avalanche. Hope that helps. I have 2 of the back plates in stock if clearmont is out
Sandman
VNV Hobby
ST Louis, MO
Old 03-14-2008, 01:08 AM
martrix

got sick of waiting. Still want to rebuild the SH28 however........Should have [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_79/products_id/16332]this[/link] by the end of next week to put in my Monsoon.[sm=48_48.gif]