Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Steering plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:18 PM
cheeba400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering plate

Hey guys I was out bombin' the avalanche around today and I did a few cartwheels (lol). After I walked over to flip it over and continued my bashin' I noticed that it was not turning very well to the left. I just put a hitec 5645 and it has some good power but, after inspecting the steering linkages and everything I noticed that the steering plate looked bent. So I went home and tore apart the front end to get the steering plate out and it is bent (or looks to be). Are they supposed to be flat? I looked on Redcat's site and from the pic it looks flat but it does not look the same as the one that came on my truck. Here is the link to the steering plate... any info would be appreciated.
http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdeta...partno=081040b
Old 02-02-2008, 07:23 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Steering plate

it is flat, just curved like in the picture but when installed its flat
Old 02-02-2008, 07:56 PM
chure63

Hi guys, I need some help with an Exceed-RC Truggy I just received. If one of you could give me your email address (MSN) to chat about it will be great. I'm a novice and this is my first car. I could turn it on but it has a problem. Thanks in advanced!!
Old 02-02-2008, 08:26 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: cheeba400

Hey guys I was out bombin' the avalanche around today and I did a few cartwheels (lol). After I walked over to flip it over and continued my bashin' I noticed that it was not turning very well to the left. I just put a hitec 5645 and it has some good power but, after inspecting the steering linkages and everything I noticed that the steering plate looked bent. So I went home and tore apart the front end to get the steering plate out and it is bent (or looks to be). Are they supposed to be flat? I looked on Redcat's site and from the pic it looks flat but it does not look the same as the one that came on my truck. Here is the link to the steering plate... any info would be appreciated.
http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdeta...partno=081040b
They are supposed to be flat. Mine always bend on my monsoon. The aluminum they are made with SUCKS!!!! I even bought redcats UPGRADED steering plate which is thicker and it bends just as easy and I do not bash, I only run on the track so that one SUCKS TOO!!!!

I keep taking mine out and straightening it out. If you take a mallet and put it on a flat ground it will bend straight with about 1 or 2 hits. Really strong aluminum huh?[&o]

HEY REDCAT ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND IT SHOULD BE ADDRESSED. THERE NEEDS TO BE A BILLET OR STRONGER ALUMINUM PLATE MADE. ONE GOOD FLIP OR CRASH ON A TRACK AND IT IS BENT AND YOUR STEERING GOES AWAY!!!![sm=idea.gif][sm=idea.gif][sm=idea.gif]
Old 02-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Macanan

ORIGINAL: chure63

Hi guys, I need some help with an Exceed-RC Truggy I just received. If one of you could give me your email address (MSN) to chat about it will be great. I'm a novice and this is my first car. I could turn it on but it has a problem. Thanks in advanced!!
just start a new topic and explain whats wrong and everyone will be able to help you.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:44 PM
cheeba400

Wow, I was not aware that there was such an issues with these. I agree the material used is crap especially seeing that the aluminum plate would bend before breaking any of the plastic components!
Old 02-03-2008, 07:23 AM
rclynx

Can you double the plate?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:17 AM
cheeba400

After flattening out the plate and re-installing it, the wheels are hard to move left and right by hand. This is with the servo saver not hooked up. When I hook up the servo saver, it does not seperate any. What could be causing this? I could not find anything that was binding or touching where it's not supposed to. Thanks...
Old 02-04-2008, 11:57 AM
twomanytoys

I have talked to Nick about this problem and he says he has not had any complaints. I think I was the first to post about this problem and I also made a steering mod to prevent this from happening again and so far its been good.I did get the thicker plate also. If you search for my steering mod it will explain what to do and I also have a slight revised version. You have to gring part of the plate where it hits the diff for my steering stops to work properly.

So yes this is a problem that redcat has to address. But for now here is the fix.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_68...tm.htm#6865506
Old 02-04-2008, 12:30 PM
cheeba400

Well, I appreciate your input but that is not my issue at this time. The steering is very hard to turn left or right by hand and the servo saver is not seperating. Even with the servo saver not hooked up, it is still hard to move left and right. It is so bound up by something that my hs 5645 wont even budge the steering. [] ??????
Old 02-04-2008, 01:19 PM
twomanytoys

Did you install both bushings top and bottom on the steering plate? If you dont do the steering mod it will keep bending every time you land wrong or cart wheel.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:32 PM
cheeba400

Do you mean the brass bushings and the composite ones? If so, yes I have but I am not sure if they are corretly installed. I didnt take out the brass ones but the composite ones came out when I removed the plate. I put them back in but I am not sure if they go in through the top or the bottom. Right now the seat flange on them is on the top of the plate. Any diagrams or pics would be helpful. I looked at the manuals exploded drawing but the resoloution of it makes it hard to tell which way to install them.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:34 PM
twomanytoys

You should have 2 sets of bushings. 1 bushing goes on top and the other goes on bottom. One of the bushings actually fits inside the other once installed right.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:40 PM
cheeba400

Well they fit either way when I put them in but I will take it apart again tonight and see if changing that will free up the steering.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:10 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

I have talked to Nick about this problem and he says he has not had any complaints. I think I was the first to post about this problem and I also made a steering mod to prevent this from happening again and so far its been good.I did get the thicker plate also. If you search for my steering mod it will explain what to do and I also have a slight revised version. You have to gring part of the plate where it hits the diff for my steering stops to work properly.

So yes this is a problem that redcat has to address. But for now here is the fix.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_68...tm.htm#6865506
Your mod is about the steering locking up and not the steering plate bending. He probably has not had any complaints because people do not know it is bent and it will still steer but not as good. I guarantee that if any people with monsoons who run them hard and on the track and have crashed or flipped over will have bent steering plates. If you look at the front of the truck straight at the front diff and look at the plate it will be bent down on both ends and bowed up in the center. This will also cause the servo rod that is connected to the servo saver to hit the steering plate and not let you steer all the way to one side. 2 other people where I live that have monsoons have had this problem and did not even know it was the plate. They thought there servos were bad and not steering all the way and thought the servo saver had sand and dirt and did move freely and when I showed them the plate was bent we straightened it out and the truck drove like new again.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:16 PM
twomanytoys

It is also for the plate bending. The stops will prevent the steering from trying to over steer and bending the plate. The stops will hit the arm before it starts to bend the plate.

What happens is the plate will bottom out on the diff case but the steering still has room to move and will push up on the plate bending it.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:39 PM
vnmsgt

oooohhhhhh.....[&:] Now I see. You should have said that LOL! Now I think I will try it!