Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Plastic VS Aluminum

What do you think? Is it easier to break plastic, or bend aluminum?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Plastic VS Aluminum

Aluminum is normally better I think and as i'v seen. Its stronger then plastic looks cool and can be lighter.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would put them at about the same strength. You'd be surprised how much plastic can bend before it actually breaks. My past experience with aluminum was once one part bends it will continue through the chain and bend other parts attached to it. When a plastic part breaks it absorbs most of the energy and very little will be transferred to the next part in the chain. Besides that the aluminum parts are heavier and much more expensive to replace. They sure do look cool though. Just my .02.
    Redcat Dealer - Derek Hastings - Affordable RC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Plastic is beter becouse it lets that nessary bend and aluminum does not... but aluminum will snap after a littel bend (trust me i have had it happen to me.) and aluminum is slighilty lighter.
    Who ever said \"It never Changes it just gets better\" Is a lire!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

plastic for me, cheaper to replace. Aluminum looks great but will pass the force to the plastic its attached to and its harder to usually fix that, like a diff box or something. Aluminum will bend but not as easily as plastic will break, expecially in the cold weather, plastic is brittle.
    125 characters and 2 lines is not enough to list my RC obsession!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I didn't even think about temperature and plastic being brittle. Don't have to worry about those things in Arizona, the plastic is practically melting out here. Almost every person that has experience with both will steer you towards getting plastic.
    Redcat Dealer - Derek Hastings - Affordable RC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aluminum has its place. Places like shock towers, braces, skids but I would not recommend it for a arms or something that would take a direct hit. You cant go wrong with RPM arms but its too bad they are not made for redcats.
    The one with the most toys wins. I think I may have a good chance of winning.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Suspension parts ie: arms,hubs, and links I stick with plastic. Too expensive to replace. On the other hand i've got upper aluminum shock caps, and aluminum upper deck also aluminum motor mounts. One of the downsides of aluminum is after so many times of removing and installing a screw you can sometimes pull the threads out with it when your taking out a screw. Aluminum looks good but in the end it's expensive to replace and can be a pain. Stick with the aluminum parts that don't wear too much and don't absorb impact of landings and hits. ect.
    WWW.HIMOTORACINGUSA.COM/ The Revolution Has Begun

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Im with Ehroof. The way I drive n jump, and with some of the Bad landings I have, Plastic is the way to go. Ive replaced a number of arms so far, and it would be 5 x more $ for me to replace aluminnum. I gaurantee you, some of my landings would bend alluminum.
    I disagree with MgSupra. No way are the available Aluminum parts for Redcats lighter than the Plastic parts.
    Aluminum is good for the Bling factor,and it LOOKS awsome. I think it is also best for those Peeps who drive in LOW temps (snow n such).
    OFFICIAL HIMOTO RACING SUPPORT - THE REVOLUTION HAS BEGUN
    http://himotoracing.com :: http://himotoracingusa.com
    THE REVOLUTION HAS BEGUN

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well I ordered a hurricane pro...its getting more and more plastic as it goes...especailly on the front end...if anyone asks me go stock or pro...I'll tell them stock..especially if their a noob like me..I keep landing wrong and the hardware holding the two halves of the front upper arms arent very strong..im running with 2 bent ones..but I got plastic to replace em
    keep the shiney side up, the hammer down and the marshalls bored.....himoto rxb-1...himotoracingusa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well, dont crash and you wont break lol... I say the same thing though to customers, plastic. But like toomanytoys said in another post , the aluminum has its places. I will post a pic in the pic thread of my new buggy I just got.
    Cen truggy, Bigfoot 1/5th, Cen buggy, Mg16, Redcat Earthquake, Redcat Drifter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with all said but would like to add some comments.
    Alloy allows for a more stable ride aswell on higher HP machies. The plastic allows for to much flex and can add to control issues.
    Also if the alloy parts are design correctly you will not experience bending with typical bashing. Ive seen some of the offshore alloy hopups and totally understand why they bend and crack. Alot of these offshore alloy hopups are casted outa crap alloy.
    Same rules apply for plastics, Not bashing redcat but there quality of plastic isnt as good and HPI or Traxxis and even the design on some of there parts is poor. Explaining why alot of plastic parts are breaking. My view and the reason i have started making alloy hopups is this. Would you rather buy the cheaper plastic replacement parts over and over and have the disapointment of having your machine sit and wait for repairs or buy good quality alloy replacement parts?
    As for discounting alloy parts as they dont absorb impact as well as alloy parts........... That is true.......... but any impact that is bad enough to bend a alloy part would have caused other damage even if there was a plastic part there to help absorb the impact.
    Alloy parts improved you machines reliability IMO.
    Cheers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Soooo, basically when I figured spending an extra hundred to get the Pro was a good idea due to the aluminum, I was wrong?

Thanks for telling me this now... It does look ultra sweet though!

Maybe you guys just don't know how to drive! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=lol.gif] <--- Sarcasm...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hummerman

Alloy allows for a more stable ride aswell on higher HP machies. The plastic allows for to much flex and can add to control issues.
    Also if the alloy parts are design correctly you will not experience bending with typical bashing. Ive seen some of the offshore alloy hopups and totally understand why they bend and crack. Alot of these offshore alloy hopups are casted outa crap alloy.
    Same rules apply for plastics, Not bashing redcat but there quality of plastic isnt as good and HPI or Traxxis and even the design on some of there parts is poor. Explaining why alot of plastic parts are breaking. My view and the reason i have started making alloy hopups is this. Would you rather buy the cheaper plastic replacement parts over and over and have the disapointment of having your machine sit and wait for repairs or buy good quality alloy replacement parts?
    As for discounting alloy parts as they dont absorb impact as well as alloy parts........... That is true.......... but any impact that is bad enough to bend a alloy part would have caused other damage even if there was a plastic part there to help absorb the impact.
    Cheers

1. i didnt know you could get anything but offshore alloy hop ups, even if its for hpi or traxxas
    2. I own every brand of rc out there and all plastic breaks, i find redcat to have the same quality of plastic as any other company, i havent broken a suspension part on any of my redcats in 2 years, besides a rear c hub but that was from kissing a barrier wall on and on road track (lightning) at almost full speed
    3. all the guys that i run with here in nyc that own redcats havent broken any suspension parts, at least when i am with them, unless we were doing some serious bashing, its all in how you drive and land, its that simple.
    4. i would rather break a couple of dollar plastic a arm then spend big bucks on an aluminum a arm and have the diff housing snap, its a ton more work to replace that diff housing then to just replace the plastic a arm, not to mention they cost about the same money.
    5. i have seen traxxas rear shock towers snap on a jato, 2 times in one day, as xhoutas on the forums here, he will tell you, it was on his jato.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just sold my hurricane pro, but the only problem I had with the aluminum parts were the front uppers. The adjusters would strip out. I do have to say the hurricane was several pounds heavier than my ofna ravager, or my jammin X1-CR. Still a tough buggy. Hope you have as much fun with yours as I did with mine.
    Wisdom is only as good as the person you give it to.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well i dont really care for plastic i was out bashing around and dont ya know me and my noobself stipped the spur gear lol second time out i must not have had the gears lined up wrong or something but damn does that thing cruise lol
    KingMotor Baja 29cc rocket piss on nitro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i learned my lesson, its always good to check the gear mest before you run for the day and after every few tanks of fuel, screws always seem to loosen themselves up after a couple of tanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nitronoob08

well i dont really care for plastic i was out bashing around and dont ya know me and my noobself stipped the spur gear lol second time out i must not have had the gears lined up wrong or something but damn does that thing cruise lol

thats were 1/8ths are nice...completely dropped 3 motor mount screws on the pavement..engine screamed...not a tooth missing and I found all three screws...soooooooo glad I bought a hurricane instead of a tornado...now im learning I want em all..lol
    keep the shiney side up, the hammer down and the marshalls bored.....himoto rxb-1...himotoracingusa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah, the 1/8 have those steel spurs, nice right, lol. but 1/10 are nice to run too, lets face it, there all nice to run [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah...ill have a bb tornado ...I can count 6 redcats I want to have... just might be adding one other very soon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thats it bro, once you get the smell of nitro in you, its got a hold of you and thats it, time for the deep pockets.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ehroof

ORIGINAL: hummerman

Cheers

1. i didnt know you could get anything but offshore alloy hop ups, even if its for hpi or traxxas
    2. I own every brand of rc out there and all plastic breaks, i find redcat to have the same quality of plastic as any other company, i havent broken a suspension part on any of my redcats in 2 years, besides a rear c hub but that was from kissing a barrier wall on and on road track (lightning) at almost full speed
    3. all the guys that i run with here in nyc that own redcats havent broken any suspension parts, at least when i am with them, unless we were doing some serious bashing, its all in how you drive and land, its that simple.
    4. i would rather break a couple of dollar plastic a arm then spend big bucks on an aluminum a arm and have the diff housing snap, its a ton more work to replace that diff housing then to just replace the plastic a arm, not to mention they cost about the same money.
    5. i have seen traxxas rear shock towers snap on a jato, 2 times in one day, as xhoutas on the forums here, he will tell you, it was on his jato.

1. There are alot of north american alloy manufactures ........(iam one of them) HPI and Traxxas hopups are mostly made in USA (also you must understand international manufacturing to understand how quality is deterimed)
    2. Redcat is not made of same quality or design as others. (show me a redcat to take bashing of a savage)
    3. I agree......u can break anything with poor or careless driving
    4 A impact to break or bend a aluminum A-arm would have to very bad. Thats like saying "dont add a bush bar to a truck.......it might bend your frame in crash"
    5. sure u can snap anything with poor driving skills.

long story short..........plastic isnt reliable and strong as alloy
    but in some people's situations ..........plastic may be a better solution

cheers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I havent had a problem with the alloy on my cane its the hardware that holds it together( front upper arm adj. between the 2 alum pieces).....I understand international mfg.. im a mechanic..if foriegn goods are so bad why do alot of them out last usa's...I could go into a much broader subj of why but has nothing to do with this thread...show me a savage I can buy for the same money and have the same performance

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Firebird,
    Im not saying all foriegn goods are bad.
    Im also not suggesting any redcat brand is bad. i have some and for the money ..........you cant go wrong
    but when they break as traxxis and hpi to aswell its a real bummer.
    I just found by making my aluminum upgrades to my redcat is was and is more reliable for me anyway.

I and my friends all broke the exact same parts on our redcats.........which leads me to believe the quality and design of some of there plastic parts could be improved.......

Once we upgrade these parts to aluminum..........they have been reliable and running great

Savage for performace............lol no ...........savage for bashing ............yes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought some all thread to fix my front upper arms..just alot of stress there when jumping 3 sometimes 4 ft. in the air and come down on 1 wheel...im suprised I havent broken the alloy part of the arms to be honest...my cane lands like that alot...lol..paid I think 350 for it..all the alum already installed brand new,...hevent found a equal in both durability and price yet..not to mention its pretty quick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast