Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Major heat issues

Well I am about to give up on the Volcano. Its driving me crazy trying to get it to run properly. I am having major heat issues with the speed controls.

I fried the stock speed control in the first battery pack on a 100% stock car. I still havent heard back from redcat about that warranty issue. But I put in a AI runner reverse esc with a 19 turn team orion motor and ran it today for 5 minutes and the esc was 220 deg F within 5 minues.

There is no binding, I took the whole car apart and made sure everything was fine. My only other thought was it was geared too high, well I tried to pull the motor mount off but 2 of the 3 screws that hold that in place wouldnt budge and stripped out, oh yippe thats fun. Then I go to take off the drive shaft cup and the set screw stripped out. Keep in mind I am using very expensive and high quality RC tools. So now I have to figure out how the heck I am going to get that apart.

But now I have to buy the smallest pinion I can possibly fit on the car and see if that takes down the temps.

Does redcat sell larger spur gears? I couldnt pull it off to take it to the LHS to see if I can get something to work.
    Anyone in the midwest check it out greatlakesrconline

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Major heat issues

1. did you fill out a warranty claim form, if so, redcat will replace it, there is a 30 day warranty on electronics
    2. i too have quality tools (hudy)and never stripped a screw on any of my redcat vehicles, i had to replace the chassis on my tornado epx brushless when i kissed a phone pole at full throttle, actually my son did the kissing.
    3. its a 48 pitch gear, as far as i know redcat doesnt have any other spurs than the stock size, i think they just use differnt pinons in the electrics.
    4. how were you running it when you checked the temp, 220 doesnt seem that hot if your doing some hard running.
    125 characters and 2 lines is not enough to list my RC obsession!!!