Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Early stages of new Hurricane Thoughts?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Early stages of new Hurricane Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:20 PM
vnmsgt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Early stages of new Hurricane Thoughts?

If there is one thing I never liked about the monsoon or hurricane it is the kingpin suspension. So many people have made fun of both trucks because of that in many other forums when they see pictures. Maybe its just me but I did not like it. Front end keeps getting too loose and wobbly and constantly have to tighten it up. Tighten it too much where you get rid of the play and it will not turn, tighten it up too less and your arms wobble like crazy down the straights and off jumps. You have to get it just right.
Kemo

there isn't a factory car that has kingpin...

There is only C-Hub and pbs LOL

this was of course, in reply to ehroof.

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

If there is one thing I never liked about the monsoon or hurricane it is the kingpin suspension.
Amen!

The way i see it, when this mold is finished... have all the 1/8 scale vehicles converted to it and have an upgrade kit from kingpin to PBS. Dealers and their supporters are gonna hate it at first, but soon as they actually race it WITH pbs, they'll see the light.
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feedback is good. Like I said it is very preliminary stuff and the mold for the plastic will take a while.

Still gotta work through samples, if backward compatible with current hurricane which would be great and the time it takes to make the molds for the plastic parts.

I like this forum mainly for stuff like this. I can post one thing and hear feedback from so many guys with more RC experience than me.

Good stuff, keep it coming.

Darin

Old 02-23-2008, 02:37 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: Kemo

If there is one thing I never liked about the monsoon or hurricane it is the kingpin suspension.
Amen!

The way i see it, when this mold is finished... have all the 1/8 scale vehicles converted to it and have an upgrade kit from kingpin to PBS. Dealers and their supporters are gonna hate it at first, but soon as they actually race it WITH pbs, they'll see the light.

oh really kemo, here is a few replies to you:

http://teamassociated.com/ae/rc8/rc8_home.htm
http://ofna.com/hyper8rtr.php
http://www.cenracing.com/cars/matrix/matrix.html

3 major manufacturers, all 3 dont sell using the pb suspension
Old 02-23-2008, 02:41 PM
firebird78

ORIGINAL: Redharris

Clermont makes a good point! Having 2 Different styles of suspension will cause confusion (and frustration when you order/receive the wrong parts for YOUR car) among Buyers and the Vendors.
Update the Hurricane to make it Comparable to other popular cars. If the arms will fit as an Upgrade, then thats a bonus, but dont engineer a White Elephant just to make it backward compatible.
If the ball-end design (currently popular) has flaws, now is the time to FIX them in the design phase.

P.S. It would be nice....(not mandatory....just Nice) if aftermarket arms from a company such as RPM would fit the car.

I dont know...I just bought my buggy and it would suck if the new parts wouldnt fit...like it or not if you change it the production of current parts would quit...but im guessing at most you might have to drill diff mounting holes in the chassis. if it wont work I guess I'll have to stock pile a bunch of parts so I dont have a new buggy that I cant run
Old 02-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: ehroof

ORIGINAL: Kemo

Amen!

oh really kemo, here is a few replies to you:

http://teamassociated.com/ae/rc8/rc8_home.htm
http://ofna.com/hyper8rtr.php
http://www.cenracing.com/cars/matrix/matrix.html

3 major manufacturers, all 3 dont sell using the pb suspension
Whats your point? they dont use Kingpin, they use C-Hub. C-Hub would cost more to engineer for redcat racing... and since I know that PBS is also just as reliable as C-hub and cheaper to R&D AND produce, its why I suggested it to Darin.

You'll see more Jammin vehicles with PBS, since hong nor released that suspension as optional.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:45 PM
ehroof

sure bro, i just cant, you know it all, lol

you are saying how great pivot ball is, its not, most all major manufacturers dont use it on the off roads because its unreliable in a rought environment, Thats the point i am trying to make
Old 02-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Kemo

you can be childish and fight about something you really are unsure of, but the fact of the matter is that a good half of the industry loves PBS and the other half loves C-Hub.

Go do research around the internet about PBS conversions... The hyper 7 had one for a reason, and the Ofna/Jammin vehicles have that option/upgrade too.

This is a feedback thread on the update to the suspension... not a thread to say "oh its junk..." when you have never ran PBS on a 1/8 scale vehicle yourself.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:59 PM
ehroof

bro,its all in the words you used, since hong nor released that suspension as optional, OPTIONAL
Old 02-23-2008, 03:01 PM
{GBI}Harryball

PBS for me. Works great on the track. I think its a good step forward for the cane. It needs to keep up with the Team VTX product and with this conversion it will. Good work Darin.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:02 PM
vnmsgt

bro,its all in the words you used, since hong nor released that suspension as optional, OPTIONAL
Not continuing a argument but isn't optional usually the meaning for BETTER to install on your vehicle most of the time?
Old 02-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Kemo

look at that... i only see 2 nay-sayers and the rest seem to be either on the fence or for it

PBS gets my vote.

Yes, optionals are generally an upgrade. And the PBS is an upgrade for other vehicles from C-Hub and kingpin.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:05 PM
vnmsgt

I have only run one truggy or buggy with PBS and that was this past tuesday with my new Caster K8T and I love the way if feels so I am for it too.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Kemo

Alrighty, i think we are on a roll here. Apparently the PBS suggestion is in strong favor, Darin!
Old 02-23-2008, 03:07 PM
ehroof

i am saying to leave it as an option, not make another car that comes with it, let people decide if they want it as an option, like the other companies do.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:09 PM
vnmsgt

i am saying to leave it as an option, not make another car that comes with it, let people decide if they want it as an option, like the other companies do.
Either way I think it would be great to have available, optional or standard. I think the hurricane pro right now is a waste with the aluminum arms because nobody really likes them for racing and stuff. They can keep the regular hurricane like it is and use the PRO model for the PBS and get rid of the heavy aluminum on it. Would make it less confusing. You have a PRO or you do not. You could call it a PRO 2 as to not confuse the previous PRO owners.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:15 PM
rclynx

I rate PBS right up there with the idea that something that is cheaper is better. The only suspension that would work better on these small models would be very much like the original C hub. King pins are from the dark ages [&o]
Old 02-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Kemo

eh, PBS and CHUB are both up to date suspensions. Kingpin goes back in the 80s and early 90s. Hopefully it (PBS) becomes standard.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:21 PM
rclynx

Your right ehroof he does know everything...................wow I stand corrected............those probably weren't King Pins I was changing back in the 60's on cars and trucks from the 30's 40's 50's and so on. Could you enlighten me more[sm=confused.gif]
Old 02-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Kemo

too bad they didn't have RC back then
Old 02-23-2008, 03:26 PM
firebird78

is the pivot ball the only diff we are discussing???anything going to change in the rear or anywere else??....cause to me it just looks like the outside ends of the front arms is the only diff...
Old 02-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Kemo

PBS is pillow ball suspension... its an upgrade from kingpin. Kingpin gets very sloppy and doesn't hold up well on the track when compared to C-Hub and PBS.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:30 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: rclynx

Your right ehroof he does know everything...................wow I stand corrected............those probably weren't King Pins I was changing back in the 60's on cars and trucks from the 30's 40's 50's and so on. Could you enlighten me more[sm=confused.gif]

John let it go, he goes all over the internet bashing redcat and trying to start all kinds of rumors, even here on rcu, now he's an advocate for the company. Its not worth the trouble to argue with him.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:31 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: firebird78

is the pivot ball the only diff we are discussing???anything going to change in the rear or anywere else??....cause to me it just looks like the outside ends of the front arms is the only diff...
It is the only difference but it is a BIG difference. The front upper a-arms will be longer to because of this type of suspension. The rear is fine and designed like most other buggies.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:34 PM
rclynx

We were talking about suspension and the best you could do wouls be like this is and that very close to the old system used by most of the manufactors
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63597.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	886489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94524.gif
Views:	4
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	886490  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.