Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Early stages of new Hurricane Thoughts?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Early stages of new Hurricane Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:06 AM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Early stages of new Hurricane Thoughts?

We are working on some changes for a new version of the Hurricane. It will be a while before its done, but want to hear some thoughts.

We will of course keep our current version, but offer another version with pivot ball suspension.

Again we are in early stages so thoughts are appreciated.

Darin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13065.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	886100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40611.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	886101  
Old 02-23-2008, 02:28 AM
jumpanddrop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Early stages of new Hurricane Thoughts?

i didint think pivot ball suspension was much different then the kind it has right now. if you guys are going to make this upgraded version of the hurricane, you should just put these new mods on the pro version and still only have 2 different hurricanes.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:41 AM
rc rock

how bout some carbon fiber?(is this going to be a race level buggy?)
Old 02-23-2008, 02:43 AM
jumpanddrop

oh yea. make a race edition. not alot of alum b/c this is heavy. carbon fiber, upgraded servos, better rims and tires, and upgraded pipe. now where talkin
Old 02-23-2008, 02:45 AM
rc rock

and if it is a race version go for a .21 roar legal engine
Old 02-23-2008, 02:48 AM
jumpanddrop

im not sure what makes of motors they can use. i have only heard of vx,sh and infinity on redcats. would it be beter to go with a .21sh for racing. i heard that the loss of hp is made up with the fuel econamy wich = less pit stop
Old 02-23-2008, 02:50 AM
rc rock

yeah that too but the engine has to be legal to race(i think in most classes, but what do i know?)
Old 02-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

ok you asked.. lol. I think having 2 different parts forthe same car sucks. It makes it hard for the customers and hard for the dealers. I personally dont care for that pivot crap. Just like the revo, they pop out all the time on my track.
But your the man so you do what you have to do. Of course we wont havea choice
Old 02-23-2008, 07:22 AM
vnmsgt

I think it is great going with the pivot ball. The style that is on the Hurricane and the monsoon are really old and allow the front arms to wiggle alot. Just do not use the aluminum arms[:'(] too heavy! The pivot balls the revo SUCK and are not the same as what is on this hurricane in the pic or the mugens and stuff. They are much larger and in there alot tighter and they cannot be pulled out from the back because the hole is half the size of the ball, they are install throught the front and held in by the adjusting nut. PLUS you would not have the stupid bolts that hold the arms to the knuckles keep falling out and stripping. I think it would be a BIG step in the right directions towards racing it.

Are those front CVD's too?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:33 AM
twomanytoys

Like VNMSGT said get rid of that aluminum. Make a race version with carbon fiber, pivot ball suspension, better servos (at least10g for steering) and a decent 7-9 port 21. Oh And since the Truggy scene is blowing up do the same with the Monsoon also.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:43 AM
rc rock

well said twomanytoys
Old 02-23-2008, 10:01 AM
ehroof

most of the people who i know that race have said they dont like the pivot ball suspension, they seem to pop out on them racing. i would keep it the same, just make it sleeker and lighter, maybe offer a .21 engine and the .28 but dont make them different.

just my 2 cents.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:12 AM
vnmsgt

I honestly cannot see how the pivot ball can pop out unless it RIPPED right out of the knuckle. In that case the knuckle would be garbage. Most people I see that say something poppes out is the ball end on turnbuckle steering linkages and those you can pop back in. I think most people who race are turned away from the hurricane and monsoo due to the OLD design of the front suspension (kingpin).
Old 02-23-2008, 10:20 AM
TThib

I haven't been exposed to a pivot ball system as of yet (I'm still new to nitro). But, it looks as if the arms will be backward compatible so you could buy the parts and mount up a pivot ball system on a current Hurricane using the old style. If this IS the case, if I were you, I'd offer the parts for sale FIRST and let us beat them up good and be your beta-testers. I'm sure we could give some decent input, and then if all goes well offer them on the RTR and/or RTM models as an option.

I know I'd toss them on one of my 2 Hurricanes and do a comparison review to the best of my ability, thats for sure!

Not sure if this is economically feasible from a production standpoint, but worth thinking about.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 02-23-2008, 10:42 AM
vnmsgt

I am debating selling my hurricane and getting a buggy with the pivot ball front suspension because I do not care for the one on the hurricane and would GLADLY buy the new arms and knuckles to put on it and keep it instead of selling it.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:53 AM
rc rock

i like the pivot ball suspension on my tornado. it's very easy to take apart for maintainence and such....
Old 02-23-2008, 11:27 AM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

I honestly cannot see how the pivot ball can pop out unless it RIPPED right out of the knuckle. In that case the knuckle would be garbage. Most people I see that say something poppes out is the ball end on turnbuckle steering linkages and those you can pop back in. I think most people who race are turned away from the hurricane and monsoo due to the OLD design of the front suspension (kingpin).

thats what i said, the ball end pops out. I dont race, only 1/8 on road but talking to guys who do race off road, they dont like the pb suspension, personally i have never had a problem with the hurricanes suspension nor anyone else that i know that has it. I have seen it jump, run the off road track and do some serious cartwheels and have seen NO breakage.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:29 AM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: TThib

I haven't been exposed to a pivot ball system as of yet (I'm still new to nitro). But, it looks as if the arms will be backward compatible so you could buy the parts and mount up a pivot ball system on a current Hurricane using the old style. If this IS the case, if I were you, I'd offer the parts for sale FIRST and let us beat them up good and be your beta-testers. I'm sure we could give some decent input, and then if all goes well offer them on the RTR and/or RTM models as an option.

I know I'd toss them on one of my 2 Hurricanes and do a comparison review to the best of my ability, thats for sure!

Not sure if this is economically feasible from a production standpoint, but worth thinking about.

Just my 2 cents worth...

thats a great idea if you ask me, just sell it as an upgrade and let people have the option.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:32 AM
twomanytoys

It would take alot to pop out a pivot ball and most racers that I know like the pivot ball instead of king pin. I like the pivot ball way better.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:43 PM
firebird78

not sure if I'd like the pb...if changes are made to the hurricane I'd like to be able to attach the new design on my buggy I already have...I just got it and would hate to have to buy another one and eventually not be able to get parts for the current one...I think a good start would be hex screws throughout...offer carbon fiber to lighten it up close to other racing buggies...maybe some better plastic arms ( personaly havent had a major problem with the current plastic but have heard its weaker then some)..be perfect for rtm buggies but still offer a race legal engine with enuff ump to compete..
Old 02-23-2008, 01:23 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: ehroof

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

thats what i said, the ball end pops out. I dont race, only 1/8 on road but talking to guys who do race off road, they dont like the pb suspension, personally i have never had a problem with the hurricanes suspension nor anyone else that i know that has it. I have seen it jump, run the off road track and do some serious cartwheels and have seen NO breakage.
The ball ends on the steering rod turnbuckles yes the the pivot ball suspension is the BIG BALLS (LOL) on the knuckle attached to the a-arms. Those should not pop out.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Kemo

Never had pivot balls pop out on my suspension arms... ever. Glad to see it on the cane... but hopefully the arms aren't going to be aluminum. Bye bye unreliable kingpins!

Throw some carbon fiber on it, keep the composite arms on it... throw on the other aluminum upgrades (except the steering plate, center diff brace and servo tray... use the carbon fiber there) and you got a club level cane.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Redharris

Clermont makes a good point! Having 2 Different styles of suspension will cause confusion (and frustration when you order/receive the wrong parts for YOUR car) among Buyers and the Vendors.
Update the Hurricane to make it Comparable to other popular cars. If the arms will fit as an Upgrade, then thats a bonus, but dont engineer a White Elephant just to make it backward compatible.
If the ball-end design (currently popular) has flaws, now is the time to FIX them in the design phase.

P.S. It would be nice....(not mandatory....just Nice) if aftermarket arms from a company such as RPM would fit the car.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Kemo

the PBS from HSP is pretty tough. My truggy that has em has never had em pop out on me. I'm confident that they'll be a big hit. Its why I suggested this to Darin... glad to see it looks like it will happen!

If they were "bad" like a couple other people said... other big time manufacturers wouldn't have em. Look on the MBX-5... PBS!
Old 02-23-2008, 02:17 PM
ehroof

lol, its the latest thing out now so its the "best" but i talk to some hard core racers out there and they prefer the king pin style suspension

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.