Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Hint's Tip's and How to's On Redcats

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Hint's Tip's and How to's On Redcats

Old 02-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Macanan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hint's Tip's and How to's On Redcats

ORIGINAL: Xerokitsune

yeha it looks kinda like its stripped the little white gear that goes into the servo horn looks fine though
I tried looking for just that servo horn on the other sites and I couldn't find any but it looks just like this right ? the horn thats in the middle ? there out of stock for that whole setup maybe some dealer can help soon

http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdeta...p?partno=02073
Old 02-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Xerokitsune

ORIGINAL: Macanan

ORIGINAL: Xerokitsune

yeha it looks kinda like its stripped the little white gear that goes into the servo horn looks fine though
I tried looking for just that servo horn on the other sites and I couldn't find any but it looks just like this right ? the horn thats in the middle ? there out of stock for that whole setup maybe some dealer can help soon

http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdeta...p?partno=02073
yup and i can't figure out if the servo is messup too or not do you know of a servo and horn from some where else that may work??
Old 02-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Macanan

How creative are you ? I have my old servo which works really good and the servo arms that came with my new set of servo's I got, what you would have to do is drill a hole a little larger On the arm where you put the screw on ball and put it together like you see the other horn, but I can send it to you if you want them for nothing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95553.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	890117  
Old 02-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Xerokitsune

that would be great sent a pm
Old 02-27-2008, 05:32 PM
bluecaka69

we have a thred just like this already it is [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4207842/tm.htm]HERE[/link] and has been sickied on top of this forum under REDCAT product support threads better to have it all in the same spot
Old 02-27-2008, 06:15 PM
twomanytoys

ORIGINAL: nitronoob08

any tips on how to break loose your flywheel nut i cant get it loose to put on my os

You get a pair of vise grips and a rag. Lightly tighten vise grips onto the flywheel. Now use a 10mm deep socket to break the nut loose. Once nut is off then take teh vise grips off. Now tap on teh bback of the flywheel a few times and it should pop off.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:37 AM
jumpanddrop

ok i cant belive it, i looked outside and its snowing[:@][:@][:@][:'(]. man i just wish winter would leave us. it was just starting to get warm enof for a good saterday bashing sesh. oh how much i hate the snow[][][:'(]
Old 03-21-2008, 12:39 AM
jumpanddrop

oh crap i just posted that in the wrong thread[X(][X(]. w/e i gess it wont matter
Old 03-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Laarhus

To all the monsoon owners. I am currently building a Pro Class Monsoon and have some engine mods that really work, tested each one individually and then all together.

1. Ofna P3 Modification 6 port cylinder and piston
2. matched, ported and polished cylinder to match transfer ports better
3. Boost ported piston for more bottom end without loss of midrange or top end
4. Changed Turnbuckles to Aluminum
5. Changed driveshafts
6 7000 weight in Diffs, still allows rear to slide a little and not lock it up.
7. Modifying some piggyback shocks and revalve to run sounds funny but 20 weight no fade at all
8. Of course drill start, hate being down because of a broken pull start
9. Engine Saver Air Filter

Anyone else have any good suspension tips at all? Trying not to run aluminum parts because of course makes stronger in area but will weaken others.
I have gained at least 60% more HP then the stock engine puts out. I was going to use a .32 but now the .28 kicks but and is extremely fast.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:05 PM
jumpanddrop

get the couple carbon fiber modds that redcat has out for it. also do u have a new pipe and header on it. get a good pipe and header and it will make a huge difference
Old 03-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Laarhus

Thanks, forgot to list the pipe I am running it is the OFNA 1/8 Inline Hard Coated Tuned Pipe JP3 8ight Jammin pipe. With all that I listed I don't think there is a stronger .28 out there. Remember it is only my opinion and I also run a Revo 3.3 which is good. Been made fun of since I bought the Monsoon, but putting the $1000-$3000 Truggies to shame on the indoor track. It is extremely fast, I do highly recommend the drill kit because I did break the pull start and was down.
Any other help let me know I like to build fast and reliable machines and do all my own porting and polishing, it does make a slight difference, remember some people make the mistake of polishing the intake, don't do that you want to scuff the intake it halps swirl the gas and air mixture so if doing it yourself remember that. I have 15 years on porting and polishing anything from a 500 CC two stroke down to a .21 and between and can even flow the cylinder.

Lee
Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Redharris

Larhus.....What Drive Shafts you Using?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Laarhus

I am running the universal shafts until I can figure out a better one that performs and without to much modifications. Do you have suggestions since setting the Monsoon up takes a little brain storming. I have the engine down to a science but setting up the shafts and transmission is hard since they only make a few things for them.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Redharris

I myself am a Newb when it comes to Racing and am Still learning the best set up for the tracks where I am likely to race.
If you want to talk shop with Racers that have a bunch of experience running the Monsoon, shoot a PM to Clermont Hobby or Vnsmgt.
Those two guys know a lot more than I do, (but im a fast learner and Im gonna Catch Up..Lol).
Old 04-02-2008, 01:57 AM
Vancouver Hobbies

I'm building a Monsoon for Racing too. Currently stock but installing a Nomadio React Radio/Transceiver and a couple of Carbon Fibre items from Redcat in the next couple of weeks.

What servos do you guys recommend? I'm looking for something bullet proof/fast/strong. I don't mind paying $$$ for good servos if I have to but don't want to get too carried away. Maybe you can tell me what the ultimate steering servo is and the best bang for the buck servo.

Porting and Polishing is over my head so that's not going to happen any time soon. Would a different pipe really make that much of a difference on a stock .28?

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Laarhus

I recommend the JR Racing Z645M High Torque Servo, it is metal geared and ball bearing and has a three year warranty and will not kill your pocket book. Also the P3 mod from Cleremont Hobby which consists of a 6 port cylinder and piston brings the SH.28 to life as well as a pipe. I did three changes to the engine as well as running a K&N Filter with pre-charger on it and way better then foam and increased performance as well. But I put the P3 cylinder mod and I can almost bet a 25-30% increase in power and then with the port and polish it added about 3-5% but in racing that is a lot. When I put the Ofna P-3 hard coated pipe on it then I think it cranked up to at least 50% increase from the engine and I know that my car can beat any Monsoon out there right now with this set-up.
I also have changed diff oil running 30,000 in center, 10,000 in front and 5,000 rear as well as shock oil running 60 wt in rear and 50 wt in front and it sure works on the tracks. Might be a little stiff for back yard running but for jumping and the off cambers on the track it soaks it up, but I want piggy back shocks to replace the stock ones.
I have not had a problem with the FM transmitter and receiver that came with the monsoon but I changed over to Airtronics M8 radio transmitter and Spektrum 3000 receiver and it kicks butt.
I have talkedto Redcat and Cleremont Hobby on how to set up Monsoon for Pro class and these were some of their suggestions. The ones I listed are the combination that seems to work best for my driving style and there probably is more good set-ups out there. Also switched to 12T clutch and have an 11T on standby as well as 10T.
To answer your question a pipe makes a big difference in performance. Anything is better then the stock pipe even the SH tuned pipe is a little better...
Old 04-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Vancouver Hobbies

Great advice! Thanks very much.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Laarhus

Thanks, everyone has their own set-ups that work for themselves. FYI for every new Monsoon or even Redcat Racing RC's. When I got my Monsoon I was taking the differentials apart to put fluid in them and they were bone dry from the factory. I talked to Nick from Redcat Racing about it and he said that was normal because most RC's come like that and people fill their own up.
Well knowing that if you are new to RC's I don't know that many people who take their cars apart as soon as they get them and change diff. fluid, but I highly recommend taking a look to make sure you have diff. fluid or enough diff. fluid in them or you might end up having some major problems in future.
If you need a good port and polish on your engine I do have a 1 day turn around and can hook it up for $30.00 plus shipping so if you have a totally modified engine I can get around 5% more out of it and if stock about 10%. That is for any RC Nitro engine and any port set-up..
Old 04-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Laarhus

I have 15 years of porting and polishing experience. I have all the right tools and experience to do a job right and will set it up the way a person wants it. If they want all top end I can set it up, if you want bottom end I can do that as well. It is all about changing the tranfer port timing or degrees on the cylinder ports. I usually can get the best port timing from factory racing teams and what they use. I have also went thru a lot of cylinders on my own to see what was the best set-ups.
I set-up all my engines and also my friends engines as well. I have done a lot of Traxxis Revos 3.3, seems to be rc of choice here as well as Losi, I have both of them and am the only owner of a Redcat Monsoon which I am building to blow away the high dollar truggies out there, got the engine just have to dial suspension in and I think its done.